Williams FW37 Mercedes Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Williams FW37 Mercedes Speculation Thread

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Polemik

@ Manoah2u :
I Do Not Agree. It is the same for all. Others have had the same problems as well. I understand that Williams had to grapple with that, but in the end, it is resolved successfully and has no deficit compared to last season. So, please do not panic! 8)

Vasconia

Polemik wrote:@ Manoah2u :
I Do Not Agree. It is the same for all. Others have had the same problems as well. I understand that Williams had to grapple with that, but in the end, it is resolved successfully and has no deficit compared to last season. So, please do not panic! 8)
Lets see but I dont like when a team clearly says that they have had problems to adapt. They usually try to hide problems but in this case they have stated clearly their difficulties.

FrukostScones

Manoah2u wrote:.....

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501218762 ... ---symonds

Seems like Williams have run in some bad luck here. I don't expect AMG Merc to have the same amount of deficit compared to the '14 nose as it seems Williams admits having. Let's see the other's solutions, though.
But anyway, I was hoping Williams could have made another step forward this year, but it seems like they've had to
deal with getting atleast back to where they were in 2014 after the 2015 rule changes seems to give them a significant 'step back'.....
I think all teams had a struggle with the new nose regs, as the impact on downforce and the rest of the car seems to be quite high (even RB, I read)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Blackout

Indeed, when you compare the sidepod cooling intakes and the turbo air intake size, this no good news for Merc's rivals...
I know it's a 3d render but it's fairly accurate: just compare the renders that F1 racing and Williams released last year with the real FW-36; the important details were very accuratly modelised regarding size, shape etc.

Polemik

Vasconia wrote:
Polemik wrote:@ Manoah2u :
Lets see but I dont like when a team clearly says that they have had problems to adapt. They usually try to hide problems but in this case they have stated clearly their difficulties.
There is nothing strange that man talks openly about the problems. Andy Green from Force India said that the change of nose cost their a lot of work and and that they had to get back lost performance. Exactly the same words as Pat Symonds !
Read Andy Greene's statements and you will see that there is no difference ... :roll:

f1316

Blackout wrote:Indeed, when you compare the sidepod cooling intakes and the turbo air intake size, this no good news for Merc's rivals...
http://www.motorsport-total.com/bilder/ ... 842169.jpg
I know it's a 3d render but it's fairly accurate: just compare the renders that F1 racing and Williams released last year with the real FW-36; the important details were very accuratly modelised regarding size, shape etc.
Ostensibly yes, you would conclude Mercedes have done a great job with lowering cooling requirements for the 2015 engine.

I guess we should also bear in mind though that the works team were not without their reliability issues last year. Perhaps they've underestimated the cooling requirements which would result in a red bull in 2014 like pre season

LookBackTime

With the help of zioture post.

https://twitter.com/Graftechweb/status/ ... 2519391232

Now that detail is clear

Gridlock

From Joe Saward, who didn't seem too impressed with their launch strategy yesterday;

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/01 ... -williams/

FrukostScones

he is not convinced this is the render of the new car? funny guy
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

LookBackTime

FrukostScones wrote:he is not convinced this is the render of the new car? funny guy
May be he did not drink his morning coffee :)

GPR-A duplicate2

f1316 wrote:
Blackout wrote:Indeed, when you compare the sidepod cooling intakes and the turbo air intake size, this no good news for Merc's rivals...
http://www.motorsport-total.com/bilder/ ... 842169.jpg
Ostensibly yes, you would conclude Mercedes have done a great job with lowering cooling requirements for the 2015 engine.

I guess we should also bear in mind though that the works team were not without their reliability issues last year. Perhaps they've underestimated the cooling requirements which would result in a red bull in 2014 like pre season
How many instances were there last year, in either Merc cars or with the customers cars, where Merc concluded that the root cause for the failure was overheating of any of the PU components? I remember Canada, where the temperatures went higher than estimated, which resulted in ERS failure. But it is general knowledge that cars are set up based on the available data on projected temperatures. The reliability problems on Merc cars were mostly on other parts like Spark plug, Gearbox, corrupt wiring loom, Freak Steering problem etc., So, there is no reason for Merc or their customers to worry about overheating and more importantly, they all have data from last year about their cooling requirements and the customers would have also received inputs from manufacturer about the new cooling requirements, based on which the Williams have designed, what appears from the rendering, a more aggressive car on cooling requirements.

LookBackTime

Matthew Somerfield
Williams FW37 render analysis.

http://somersf1.blogspot.ro/2015/01/wil ... lysis.html

frosty125

I'm no engineer however Pat Symonds mentioned that they had a decent amount of weight to play with in the design of the FW37 as the FW36 was underweight and the weight limit has increased. Could they have switched to a air to water intercooler to reduce the size of the side pods? Also the larger intake below the airbox might be for cooling as well to help minimise the sidepod intake size.