Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

f1316 wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Great. Let's see if plans have really changed in the mean time, or Arrivabene is sandbagging. I had the info confirmed from a very trusted party in a private conversation. The man in question has actually worked on it, so... I kinda believe him. But agian, we shall see.
Given that you have such a reliable source - and therefore I think it's very safe to believe that Ferrari are just keeping the cards close to their chest (plus Arrivabene's quote does allude to not telling Mercedes the truth) - could explain more about what you mean by new engine setup?

Also, we've been hearing 20-30 bhp for this upgrade all year - did this guy give any indication of his expectations?
I was told it's a power upgrade, which quite simply needed new fuel to match the expectations. The question for the horse powers was avoided with devilish smile a la "You know I can't tell you that, even if I knew".

At the same time, I do not think Ferrari will be shy in engine usage. They would rather have powerful, developed engine, and start some places from behind and catch up, rather than being cautious and conservative.

bhall II

Froggolo wrote:if they will bring PU#3 in Canada,
they should race next 13 races with only 2 PU
and i think is quite unrealistic
Couldn't they just revert to a used, older spec PU for upcoming races where power isn't necessarily critical, like Hungary, Singapore, Sochi, USA, etc? Or does the introduction of a new PU mean you can't go back?

Froggolo

bhall II wrote:
Froggolo wrote:if they will bring PU#3 in Canada,
Couldn't they just revert to a used, older spec PU for upcoming races where power isn't necessarily critical, like Hungary, Singapore, Sochi, USA, etc? Or does the introduction of a new PU mean you can't go back?
hi Bhall

i made your same supposition back in this thread, when Ferrari used the second power unit,
i thought they could check first PU and eventually refurbish it for what is legally possible for further races,
but i was answered that this isn't possible due to PU regulations.
Who answered me (i don't remember now who he was) said is not possible to use again an early PU.
I don't know if this is due to new engine omologation once tokens are used,
or if they won't be able to use older PU even if there aren't changes on the specs.
Please, if someone could make it clear i will be thankful
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

evered7

turbof1 wrote:
zjeeraar wrote:
I thought the engines were not homologated at this stage, this was the loophole that gave the opportunity to use tokens in-season. The FIA failed to set a date for homologation of the engines in 2015, which is why they currently race un-homologated engines with tokens yet to spend...
Juzh is right in principle: by the letter of the rule you can only run one homologated engine.

However, with the loophole in the rules allowing updates throughout the season, teams have been given dispensation. After all, using those updates require a new PU component allocation. Say that at the moment of updating Sauber has done 5 races with its current allocation, Ferrari did only 2 races and Marussia only 1. For Sauber, the timing is spot on to introduce a new allocation with the updates, but Ferrari will have to throw out the old allocation, and never be able to use it again, and Marussia will not even be able to fit it due a non-compatible chassis.

So a Technical Directive was made to drop that rule in reality. In our example Sauber can use the updates straight away, Ferrari will either keep running its older allocation for 3 more races, or effectively introduce a new allocation with updates right away, and reuse the old spec in 3 races later on in the season, and Marussia will stay with the 2014 spec until it has a chassis that fits the new PU.

You can run whatever you wish as long it was homologated. This also means you can homologate as much as you want during the 2015 year.
A quote from our Mods earlier in this thread. Ferrari can use the old spec engine but cannot make any changes to it that the new spec has.

Froggolo

thank you so much Evered7

i missed that post from Turbof1

all is more clear now for me,
this opens more possibilities for Ferrari as Bhall said,
using old spec engines in races where power is less important
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

fawe4

f1316 wrote:
Froggolo wrote:also you have to think this...

if they will bring PU#3 in Canada,

about new fuel, it is quite probable, many sources claim Shell will bring some fuel evolution
You say that, but Mercedes have only used 1 ice so far this year.
, so they seem to manage.

Also , I suspect Ferrari would rather be faster sooner and worry about reliability later. No one really expects them to win either championship this year but if they start winning races semi-regularly mid season then that will be seen as a big success.
That may be so, but the question is whether they are going for short term gain or a longer one. In the case that they are considering Merc unreachable this season, and throwing everything into the next one, saving dev tokens till the last possible date may be preferable. That way they can keep developing the engine through the season, and spend tokens at the end of it to get as much power out of it as possible.

Then again they already bluffed before Barcelona when they hinted at their engine upgrade, and succeeded with it to extent that Merc showed their whole hand, so this time they may actually do the opposite.

No matter what, in the case that they do spend tokens, I really don't expect them to spend a big number of them. If they would spend plenty of them, it would only mean that engine updates could open outright battle for wins.

f1316

James Allen says half of their tokens, which is 5:
Canada is the next round and, according to Gazetta, Ferrari will have a significant upgrade on the engine, which is believed to have used up half their remaining development ‘tokens’. Canada is a race which Ferrari has always traditionally targeted for upgrades over the years.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/05/a ... ine-boost/

But he also says Mercedes will use some. Given Mercedes only have 7 to use, you wonder if they'll also try to share them out equally - say 3 now and 4 in monza.

Either way, Ferrari having those extra three is very handy.

aleks_ader

Guys you think Ferrari will use tokens 1st to accommodate the VLIM system?

Or they will simply stick to their praseason "matra" no worth because of to much CoFG and mass penalty to make it worth on lap time, reliability and energy consumption. Ferrari sure had very big experience on that aera from road program and normal aspirated V12 powertrains.

Sure on this year PU mark 059/4 they had very tight place for VLIM. Because "in-V-ee" sitting intercooler, but they could use vertical version as "normal" systems. Comparing that with Hondas and Merc arched intake manifolds sys and its plenum chambers the CofG and mass issues could be very true.

I m sure Allison as Tech director and its colleagues will need do very big call in which area trow resources in PU department.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

dren

I don't think they have much room to implement one due to the location of their intercooler.
Honda!

Fer.Fan

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/13520-the-fi ... fness.html

Interesting article. Lets hope it does not effect Ferrari pace...

evered7

Fer.Fan wrote:http://en.f1i.com/magazine/13520-the-fi ... fness.html

Interesting article. Lets hope it does not effect Ferrari pace...
If anything, the effect will be neutralized. I am of the belief that almost all big teams are now using this trick. Saw some slow-mo of the corner after tabac. The front wings were dancing like jelly :)

Morteza

McLaren MP4-30 / Ferrari SF15-T - vented brake drums

Ferrari SF15-T © Giorgio Piola

McLaren MP4-30 © Giorgio Piola
Formula1.com wrote:Monaco’s famous street circuit is very hard on brakes, hence keeping them cool is essential. McLaren have been using the brake drums above with oval holes since the start of the season and in Monte Carlo Ferrari have adopted a similar solution on Sebastian Vettel’s car. In the drawing of the SF15-T below the round brake drum - or ‘cake tin’ as it is commonly known - is missing, allowing you to see the oval openings that have been added in front of the brake disc.
Last edited by Morteza on 04 Jun 2015, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

TheRMVR

Monaco’s famous street circuit is very hard on brakes, hence keeping them cool is essential. McLaren have been using the brake drums above with oval holes since the start of the season and in Monte Carlo Ferrari have adopted a similar solution on Sebastian Vettel’s car. In the drawing of the SF15-T below the round brake drum - or ‘cake tin’ as it is commonly known - is missing, allowing you to see the oval openings that have been added in front of the brake disc.

So Kimi drove with the 'old' brake drums? Interesting..

dmjunqueira

Juzh