Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AnthonyG

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

Or just assymetric sidepods.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

bhall II
bhall II

If they plan to update the power unit in Monza, they'll have to update the car's cooling capacity. If they want to challenge for the win at Monza, there's no reason not to get an early start in Spa.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

McMrocks
McMrocks

That wing is the evidence that the Y250 vortex is very important for the cars. Why else would they keep the inner edge that high to create this vortex

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

f300v10
f300v10

Based in the below photo, the mainplane and outer wing elements are the same as the current 'standard downforce' front wing. The radical looking single plane upper flap replaces the usual double plane flap, the cascades are removed and add an additional turning vane where ther cascades usually reside:

Moose
Moose

It actually doesn't look "radical" to me. It looks exactly like what McLaren spent many years running a few years ago before dramatically changing direction on their front wing philosophy. Maybe they weren't so wrong after all.

Sevach
Sevach

Ferrari sidepods looks like the old model for this track, less drag maybe?

Anyway, the wing out on track

trinidefender
trinidefender

I think the old sidepods do have less drag. The smoother profile with reduced (especially abrupt) angle changes would generally equal to a lower Cd (coefficient of drag). That new front wing is quite interesting. I'm generally surprised that they don't have any seperation issues on it due to reducing the number of flaps by one and having quite a large angle change. That flap does seem fairly heavily cambered though (heavily cambered compared to other F1 front wing flaps in that position).

bhall II
bhall II

Is this very low tire pressure or do this year's Pirellis simply not get along well with Spa? Standing wave?

Original

absbeginner
absbeginner

Actually the rear of the car appears to be under huge load. Front wing is unnaturally high and rake is absent, titanium skids are hitting the track, leaving sparks.

Rear tires appear to be sharing this load

PlatinumZealot

Yes a lot of deflection on the front wing.

Obviously a huge amount of downforce Plus G force due to the arced elevation change Leaves a tonn of weight on the back wheels. Still scary looking though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bhall II
bhall II

Yeah, I get that it's under massive loading. I just don't know that I've seen a F1 tire react like this before.

Given Rosberg's blowout, I wonder if the teams are back to running crazy-low inflation levels again.

EDIT: Better image
Last edited by bhall II on 23 Aug 2015, 07:25, edited 2 times in total.

michaelclarke

bhall II wrote:Yeah, I get that it's under massive loading. I just don't know that I've seen a F1 tire react like this before.

http://i.imgur.com/G0d4gZW.jpg

Given Rosberg's blowout, I wonder if the teams are back to running crazy-low inflation levels again.

EDIT: Better image
Bit of a noob question: What's the benefit of running low inflation level? Quicker tire warm-up?
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

bhall II
bhall II

To a point, lower inflation pressure increases the size of the contact patch, which gives higher grip potential.