Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f300v10

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

Not the best shot, but it looks like Ferrari has a new front wing with major revisions to the upper flap design. The flaps are no longer joined at the inner edge and have a more curved shape. The slot in the mainplain is also wider, now almost reaching the FIA fixed area. The curve in the mainplain just inward of the endplate is also more abrupt and less round.

image credit to @albrodpul

Another look, somewhat better:

Last edited by f300v10 on 22 Oct 2015, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

ferkan

So it seems Ferrari will run 5th engine. One member on other forum said there is around 15bhp gain and 5 kilo less on new engine. Even after Italian press said they wont be running 5th unit he said his sources say otherwise.

ME4ME

Autosport confirming the 5th PU for Kimi and Seb

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121451
"The priority was always to have maximum power at every single race.

"That has been our plan and I think it worked very well so far.

"Obviously we have to take the hit here but we should take the positive which is that we were able to make big steps, rather than just [look at] the penalty.

PlatinumZealot

ME4ME wrote:Autosport confirming the 5th PU for Kimi and Seb

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121451
"The priority was always to have maximum power at every single race.

"That has been our plan and I think it worked very well so far.

"Obviously we have to take the hit here but we should take the positive which is that we were able to make big steps, rather than just [look at] the penalty.
This is clearly a stretegic decision pivoting on two things... Ferrari's chances of winning in Austin and Ferrari's chances at winning at the three remaining races. Ferrari have a better chance of beating Mercedes in Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi so they smartly take the hit now and attack when the Mercedes is weakened after MExico (Power track) and Brazil (new tarmac and tighter track) and Abu Dhabi (Williams was close last year so ferrari have a big chance).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f300v10

AMUS saying no tokens used for the new PU's Ferrari using this weekend:

"For clarification: Ferrari did not use any tokens for Austin. No engine upgrade. Just a fresh one. Same spec they introduced at Monza. #AMuS"

turbof1

trinidefender wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
trinidefender wrote:http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 903208.jpg

Not sure if this was on the car but take a look at the front wing. Attached to the second to top element on the fixed part of the front wing seems to be a small vane thatr helps turn airflow upward.

Edit, never mind on it being new. From looking at previous pics I can see it from Singapore, didn't bother to check before that. It also seems to have a horizontal turning effect as well as an upward one.
That's the IR tyre sensor if I'm not mistaken, not a vane. This picture make that clear:
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 884817.jpg

EDIT: I think your image shows only the piece on which you attach the actual sensor, so it's incomplete.
I had thought so but in my image and in a few images from Russia it had an unmistakable concave shape as well. I'm wondering if that was originally the tyre temp sensor then Ferrari realised it had aerodynamic advantages so shaped it further.

It may be attachment point for the sensor but I don't think so as it looks to be totally smooth.

Edit: unless my eyes are seriously playing tricks on me these days.
The shape does look different. However, I still believe that's the IR sensor, perhaps reshaped?
Look here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--42u1GjqngM/V ... 07oc47.jpg
That one is from Russia too. That does not look like concave shape. Rather with a flat under section and an additional support on the uppermost element. Looks like an IR sensor.

We'll see soon enough. Ferrari has a new front wing spec, so we'll be getting pictures in.
#AeroFrodo

santos

f300v10 wrote:AMUS saying no tokens used for the new PU's Ferrari using this weekend:

"For clarification: Ferrari did not use any tokens for Austin. No engine upgrade. Just a fresh one. Same spec they introduced at Monza. #AMuS"
Could they upgrade the engine without using the tokens? Because i read that it was na upgraded version of the engine.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/224471/1/v ... nalty.html

ferkan

Here is another shot of FW.

f1316

Autosport calls it an "updated engine" and Vettel talks about the "massive job" the engine guys have done and being "able to make big steps".

So I don't think that's the same PU with no tokens used, from the sound of it.

Silent Storm

The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

f300v10

It looks like there is a winglet on the inside edge of the endplate on the new Ferrari front wing. I belive Mercedes has had something in a similar location for some time:

Hail22

US Grand Prix - Wednesday

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

smhasan7

Does the new engine mean we're getting a new engine cover? JaOnF1 says the engine doesn't bring performance per se, it's tighter at the back helping with the rear downforce. Any details on this?

f300v10

Update to outer edge of diffuser and the winglet. The diffuser has a rounder radius and the winglet is more integrated into the multiple full span edge winglests/gurney flap.

f300v10

Here is a better shot of the additional winglet on the inside of the endplate on the new front wing, highlighted in green: