Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f300v10

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

Ferraripilot wrote:Sorry I was referring to the main wing plane bend test; specifically that those with multi main plain elements must have a very specific carbon layup technique at work to get those things to pass whereas even ferrari's new main plane appears almost crude by comparison.
Ferrari ran with 'full width' main plain elements two years ago, with the same deflection tests. They are not limited by structural requirements, rather they have a different aero solution:

fawe4

giantfan10 wrote:
fawe4 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:The additional element in the main plane will yield a bit more but it still appears less refined as compared to others whose elements on the main plane extend inward all the way to the reference plane thus yielding an even longer element this area of attack. Nice design but I believe we will see ferrari update this a bit further throughout the season.
I believe they are lacking in carbon department compared to Mercedes and RB. And it's mainly in shaping it into small details. Just compare new camera mounts on Merc and Ferrari. They started with same initial design that was rejected by FIA, so they had exactly the same time to come with a new ones. Both share same philosophy, both were rushjobs, both may still be rejected in later time, and aero gain appears to be very low, so they really weren't high on to-do list. Still, Mercs is clearly more refined.
really? some of the jumps in logic made here are amazing......now mercedes has a better carbon dept than ferrari based on what? .....
could it be possible that ferrari is working on a shorter nose or a different version of the nose they have and could care less how pretty camera mounts look for mercedes fanboys?
I'm not a merc fan. Although I'm not going all defensive over everything they do, I follow this team more than any other, . It's just an observation. Honestly look at any part of Ferrari for last couple of years and try and find a part that looks sharp. Everything is rounded and less detailed compared to Merc and RB. In the end, that may not even be an huge disadvantage, just that they are not as accurate in details.
And I already said that mounts are arbitrary. It's just because they are, they show advantage Merc has over Ferrari. When you can see a team put sophistication into a part like that, you do see an advantage.

Lorenzo_Bandini

I'm not the one who find this, but there is a novelty on the ferrari nose look :

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/19639 ... ?p=7055850

On the photo above my post, you can see the bulge

edit :

Fede90

is hard to see but seems little bit different. I agree with you Lorenzo

Kalsi

That bulge "variant" nose plus those insinting with camera mounts are making me think they are happy with the launch spec nose design...
Anyone can argument on the camera mounts aero function? Is it really just to put them "away" from crucial aero point by mounting them as high as possible, or they are trying to use them for other reasons?

fawe4

Kalsi wrote:That bulge "variant" nose plus those insinting with camera mounts are making me think they are happy with the launch spec nose design...
Anyone can argument on the camera mounts aero function? Is it really just to put them "away" from crucial aero point by mounting them as high as possible, or they are trying to use them for other reasons?
I'm quite sure they're up there only to slightly improve air coming to front suspension arms. Suspension shouldn't effect aero per rules, but it's becoming very important in that regard nonetheless, with all the the big teams having clever solutions there.

poolboy67

i also think that merc and ferrari are actually trying to minimize the aero effect the cameras may have, by placing them as high as possible.

i think the nose cameras should be removed completely, however. i mean when's the last time anyone remembers seeing footage from a nose camera? it's always from the roll bar cam.

nose cam is useless, so why not just remove it and be done with all this?
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

C Plinius Secundus

zioture wrote:Comparison new front wing vs Old

Is the nose cone "thinner" ? Compare the shape of it under the Kaspersky logo, how the white stripe bends over to the underside of the nose
Last edited by C Plinius Secundus on 28 Feb 2015, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

Cale24

poolboy67 wrote:i also think that merc and ferrari are actually trying to minimize the aero effect the cameras may have, by placing them as high as possible.

i think the nose cameras should be removed completely, however. i mean when's the last time anyone remembers seeing footage from a nose camera? it's always from the roll bar cam.

nose cam is useless, so why not just remove it and be done with all this?

Yeah, I think they should allow an inboard solution like Red Bull trialled a year or two back.

fawe4

Kimmi apparently on track with old camera mounts and old front wing.

Cale24

fawe4 wrote:http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Kim ... 846998.jpg

Wonder why he's using the old wing. Has he even tried the new one yet?

Gilles 27

Yeah this morning he tested the new wing

Lorenzo_Bandini

irang

Cale24 wrote:
fawe4 wrote:http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Kim ... 846998.jpg
Wonder why he's using the old wing. Has he even tried the new one yet?
He did the race sim with the new front wing on.

"One of Ferrari's racing pitstops from Kimi Raikkonen's successful race simulation a little earlier on."
http://www1.skysports.com/live-blog/124 ... three-live

TechF1

Wow no Monkey Seat!