Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall II

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

wesley123 wrote:[...]

The turbo is a fun thing, as air gets heated through that because of the exhaust heating the whole thing up. Thus, an intercooler is necessary to cool the air down, which in the end improves power. With hotter weather logically the air gets cooled less, thus, hotter air in the intake, which would in the end turn a reduction of power.

Thus, the cooling package becomes very detrimental to engine performance.
Just to nitpick, it's the compression of charge air that tends to be the biggest contributor to its high temperature.

And I think it's probably always beneficial to have excess cooling capacity (to a degree; no pun intended), because it would seem to be a helluva a lot easier to reduce such capacity than it is to increase it and maintain overall performance at the same time, yanno?

turbof1

Kalsi wrote:Can someone explain me why not all the engines should get the upgrades from the tokens or link me some regulations about that?
If we were to point you to the official technical regulations, we'd actually be showing that all tokens needs to be applied across every car at the same time.

However, this is not applied in practice, not since the loophole of in-season development was discovered. The loophole on its own brought issues with PU allocations. As you know, each car has 4 allocations of each PU component, across the season. You cannot apply updates on a used/current allocation, as such is considered to be repairs, which are by regulation forbidden (and that is applied in practice). Now, if for some reason a car needs a new PU allocation, ahead of a normal 5 race lifespan, this will bring said car out of sync with the other cars having the same PU supplier.

Example:
-Mercedes the manufacturer plans to bring updates to the MGU-K at the Belgian Grand Prix, the 11th race. If all goes perfect, not a single Mercedes-powered car is faced with a MGU-K failure, the 3th allocation (of 4) of the %GU-K will be injected at the Belgian Grand Prix, so the right time to introduce the update.

Assume however now that for instance Force India faced a broken MGU-K in Bahrain, having to switch to the 2d allocation after 3 full race weekends, instead of 5, meaning the 3th allocation will be introduced at the 7th race. But obviously the update is not ready at that point. Being forced to switch to the 4th and allocation, without the option to keep using the older 2d and 3th allocation, right at the middle of season will be disaster.

So there you have it: Not all the PUs are getting the updates at the same time due to malfunctioning, or even simply strategically injecting a new PU component allocation earlier on, putting them off the planned introduction date. Updates can't be applied on PU component that were used or are current in use, so to make things atleast a bit more managable for the teams they can choose to keep using an old spec of the PU component until they feel the time is ripe. They are even allowed to inject a PU allocation with the token updates, and later on reusing the older allocation with the older specification.

A real life example is the situation Renault customers are in.
#AeroFrodo

f1316

Kalsi wrote:Can someone explain me why not all the engines should get the upgrades from the tokens or link me some regulations about that?

On a side note i leave you this:

2014 Bahrein Q3
Nico's 2014 pole 01:33.185
Alonso's 2014 10th place 01:34.992

2015 Bahrein Q3
Lewis 2015 pole 01:32.571
Vettel's 2nd place 01:32.982
Nico's 3rd place 01:33.129

Just amazing.....
That is interesting.

If we also consider Hamilton's time from last year:

2 Hamilton 00:01:33.464

You could say he's improved 9 tenths and the car 6 tenths; vettel in the Ferrari is 2 seconds quicker than alonso in last year's Ferrari, but actually raikkonen outqualified alonso here last year (00:01:34.368) so he was only about 1.2 seconds faster.

Still, good step from Ferrari and a good example of how they've improved more than Mercedes (the diminishing returns that were poo-pooed by some on this forum prior to the season...)

Moose

WilliamsF1 wrote:
ringo wrote:. In fact it was said last year that Mercedes has the strongest package but doesn't have the strongest engine.
You saying last years Ferrari engine was a honey pot not a --- box?
It was pretty well established that last year's ferrari PU was badly down on MGU power, but actually a pretty damn good ICE.

Ferrari's loss last year was that they compromised the TC and MGU-H to help get better packaging. That turned out to be a poor decision. This year, they've got a much better TC and MGU-H, and the result is suddenly that their PU is extremely competitive.

Redragon

f1316 wrote:

On a side note i leave you this:

2014 Bahrein Q3
Nico's 2014 pole 01:33.185
Alonso's 2014 10th place 01:34.992

2015 Bahrein Q3
Lewis 2015 pole 01:32.571
Vettel's 2nd place 01:32.982
Nico's 3rd place 01:33.129

Just amazing.....
That is interesting.

If we also consider Hamilton's time from last year:

2 Hamilton 00:01:33.464

You could say he's improved 9 tenths and the car 6 tenths; vettel in the Ferrari is 2 seconds quicker than alonso in last year's Ferrari, but actually raikkonen outqualified alonso here last year (00:01:34.368) so he was only about 1.2 seconds faster.

Still, good step from Ferrari and a good example of how they've improved more than Mercedes (the diminishing returns that were poo-pooed by some on this forum prior to the season...)
Both Ferraris if I recall well did the Q3 attempt with used tyres as they didn't have change to do pole but they were expecting to do better on race, so your note it is not really representative

Hail22

Ferrari SF15-T Exhaust / Gearbox packaging via Formula1.com:

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... aging.html

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

F1NAC

Damage on Vettel's car, Flap (holders?) failed

ringo

the ferrari seemed a bit easier to overtake by Rosberg in bahrain. They also didn't have an easy job overtaking Bottas Williams. Says something about the overall performance of the engine. I can't wait to see what's coming for the european rounds.
For Sure!!

evered7

ringo wrote:the ferrari seemed a bit easier to overtake by Rosberg in bahrain. They also didn't have an easy job overtaking Bottas Williams. Says something about the overall performance of the engine. I can't wait to see what's coming for the european rounds.
Easier when the person in front keeps making mistakes. Also Bottas was on softs and Vettel on med for the last stint. Looking at the pace Kimi showed in the final stint, it would have certainly made Bottas difficult to pass for Vettel.

Advino116

ringo wrote:the ferrari seemed a bit easier to overtake by Rosberg in bahrain. They also didn't have an easy job overtaking Bottas Williams. Says something about the overall performance of the engine. I can't wait to see what's coming for the european rounds.
I don't think its only the engine. I think it's true that Merc engine (for both Merc and Williams) might have better drivability due to their good job last year which they can only improve on this year, but also because Ferrari's aero seems to suffer a lot when following other cars as well.

Merc's front wing design seem to be better for being in turbulent air as well in clean air for the following reason IMHO:
- more advanced vortex generation (square arc/tunnel) => better at cleaning up turbulent airflow
- more elements overall => less susceptible to flow separation => more consistent performance in turbulent air
which makes it easier for the Merc drivers to drive/overtake in turbulent air.

Edit* I'm also basing this comparison on the fact that Ferrari has just recently changed their front wing philosophy, so it will take time for them to develop and understand the wing properly, whereas Merc has used the design since last year and have been refining it since => 1 extra year of knowledge.

All this I deduced based on knowledge from just one module in race car aerodynamics in university, so I need someone with more aero knowledge to confirm this. Not an aero student. Turbo?

Also, Vettel's driving was quite scrappy today. Take that into account.

Mr.G

evered7 wrote:... Also Bottas was on softs and Vettel on med for the last stint...
Bottas was on med too, just the graphic was stuck on soft. Just look the race and marking on tires.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

evered7

Mr.G wrote:
evered7 wrote:... Also Bottas was on softs and Vettel on med for the last stint...
Bottas was on med too, just the graphic was stuck on soft. Just look the race and marking on tires.

Agreed. Had a conversation with another guy in F1F and took a look at the race again. Bottas indeed on Meds. Even the Live timing was wrong then #-o

George-Jung

Psst guys.. this is the technical car topic..

You guys should post in these topics.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... &start=180
or
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... &start=375

giantfan10

evered7 wrote:
Easier when the person in front keeps making mistakes. Also Bottas was on softs and Vettel on med for the last stint. Looking at the pace Kimi showed in the final stint, it would have certainly made Bottas difficult to pass for Vettel.
the ferrari would have been overtaken by rosberg if the ferrari was a mercedes.....all of rosbergs overtakes were on the front straight with drs... not much you can do in that situation..
i knew exactly what was going to happen when i saw rosberg exit the pits right behind vettel after both pit stops. amore powerful car with drs on the straight= sitting duck

Kiril Varbanov

Near-future plans for SF15-T:
- 20 to 30 HP from engine upgrades, 5 tokens to be used
- other upgrades circa Spain

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12474 ... ne-upgrade