Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
rccrdc

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

ferkan wrote:Not sure if I read it right but Omnicorse suggest compressor is in the V, not in front. That would go along the lines of Giorgio Piola's updated drawing last month. Definitely looks interesting and unique, Button said its "closer" to the Merc solution then the Ferrari/Renault.
Yep! Omnicorse says the compressor is clearly placed in the V of the ICE. Also, not having much space there Honda designed a revolutionary axial compressor (not centrifugal!). Then the MGU-K is between the compressor and the turbine.

ringo

That's a very unnecessary design solution though, if it is in fact between the V. In front of the engine is just a better solution with no compromise.
For Sure!!

ncassi22

ringo wrote:That's a very unnecessary design solution though, if it is in fact between the V. In front of the engine is just a better solution with no compromise.
SPACE. No need to make a hole in the tub etc... Not saying it is that way, just that to say there's no benefit might be short sighted.

deschrijver

hurril wrote:
Excellent! (As always.)

The plenum has a very interesting shape.
There's an plate heatshield on it.

diffuser

In Friday Free practise Alonzo and Button were running different rear wing configurations. Can't find any FP3 shots of both to compare.

JoeE

Good luck finding Button pics for he's hardly had any running in any session including Qualifying.

I wonder if there running different engine configurations.

CjC
CjC

On Friday, button was running the wavey rear wing flap, Alonso wasn't.
Today they are both running the 'flat' rear wing flap
Just a fan's point of view

f1rules

Thunder

They taped off the 2 small Slots unterneath the RW Main Plane in the RW Endplates.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

diffuser

Hadn't noticed this the first time I looked at this picture .....You can see the heat at the diffuser.

Mesteño

Don't you think sound has definitely changed?

PS: Well, not that much comparing with this video.

And here you have the pole lap to compare

McMrocks

diffuser wrote:Hadn't noticed this the first time I looked at this picture .....You can see the heat at the diffuser.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCzpK8LW4AMWQc4.png
I think it is a reflection. Same for the RW

flat out

diffuser wrote:
Hadn't noticed this the first time I looked at this picture .....You can see the heat at the diffuser.

There souldn't be any heat reflections on thermal images. I guess the heat on the top side of the diffusor and the fins of the rear wing comes from the aperture of the bodywork around the rear suspension

3jawchuck

flat out wrote:
diffuser wrote:

There souldn't be any heat reflections on thermal images. I guess the heat on the top side of the diffusor and the fins of the rear wing comes from the aperture of the bodywork around the rear suspension
In the live footage you could see the raised dark dots along the edge of the circuit reflecting on the airbox cover.

Jef Patat

flat out wrote:There souldn't be any heat reflections on thermal images.
Why shouldn't there be? Every wave reflects. Thermal imaging is just a conversion of invisible infrared light (remember light's dual caracter being a wave) to visible light (white, red, yellow, blue, black). Visible light reflects and so does invisible light.

And for those not willing to check imightbewrong's addition of last page check this:

http://www.flirmedia.com/MMC/THG/Brochu ... 264_EN.pdf page 27

There's no reason for a heat buildup at the rear wing or it's support to the same extend of the exhaust or tires.