Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henra

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Great shot showing the really insane Coke bottle!
Now add a short nose à la RB11 or W06 and it would be one of the sleekest (and nicest) F1 cars in quite some time. (OK, the livery could be better IMHO but who cares...).

That said I'm a bit puzzled that this huge open space in the back of the car doesn't seem to manifest itself in superior DF as much as I would have expected - a bit the same as with the RB11 which also looks quite good going by MK I Eyeball aerodynamics but can't seem to bring it fully on the track. The full opposite, the Ferrari with its quite huge sidepods on the other Hand is doing quite well on track. Maybe engine/PU and its power deilvery/recovery characteristics trumps aerodynmics when it comes to driveability these days?

Jef Patat

henra wrote:
Great shot showing the really insane Coke bottle!?
And let not forget the empty space between the hot air outlets and the floor which cannot be seen from above.

proteus

henra wrote:
Great shot showing the really insane Coke bottle!
Now add a short nose à la RB11 or W06 and it would be one of the sleekest (and nicest) F1 cars in quite some time. (OK, the livery could be better IMHO but who cares...).

That said I'm a bit puzzled that this huge open space in the back of the car doesn't seem to manifest itself in superior DF as much as I would have expected - a bit the same as with the RB11 which also looks quite good going by MK I Eyeball aerodynamics but can't seem to bring it fully on the track. The full opposite, the Ferrari with its quite huge sidepods on the other Hand is doing quite well on track. Maybe engine/PU and its power deilvery/recovery characteristics trumps aerodynmics when it comes to driveability these days?
Since the age of dawn, one thing was known: MO POUWAR! :D

More seriously though, Mclaren with at least the power of Ferrari original spec engine and the same mileage of testing would be probably chasing Mercedes for their money (closely than ferrari itself). But in the other way, Ferrari car is bulkier for a reason, which means the engine would (probably) not fit at all.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

DiogoBrand

Everyone talking about how the problem is power and all that stuff, then comes Monte Carlo, where power couns less than on every other circuit, and they still qualify two seconds behind the leader, while renault, who were getting a lot of stick for their PU now seems to have improved considerably. I really tried hard to believe the car would evolve, but it just gets harder and harder. If they finish 8th on the constructor's championship I'll count it as an achievement.

godlameroso

They actually went faster this year than they did last year, well at least Button did. The fastest McLaren was Magnussen and he set his best lap a 1:17.555, Button bested that by half a second, and it wasn't even enough to get to Q3. Mercedes improved by nearly a second to this time last year.
Saishū kōnā

DiogoBrand

godlameroso wrote:They actually went faster this year than they did last year, well at least Button did. The fastest McLaren was Magnussen and he set his best lap a 1:17.555, Button bested that by half a second, and it wasn't even enough to get to Q3. Mercedes improved by nearly a second to this time last year.
Mercedes being in front should mean they have the hardest time improving their performance, and yet they've improved by almost twice as McLaren. Which means that if McLaren ever challenges for a podium, there isn't much hope they'll challenge for wins, let alone a championship title. Don't get me wrong, I really hope McLaren rises to the top, but under their optimistic talk of always there doesn't seem to be much hope to be found.

Jef Patat

Button was with one foot in Q3, the reliability is not there (yet), but the progress this year is huge. This car is almost a complete new concept for MCL. I admit, it's easier to see progress evolving from that far back, but still, all that pessimism and title talks lead nowhere.
Last edited by Jef Patat on 24 May 2015, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

nacho

I think driveability is very important in Monaco, any onboards? Renault had terrible driveability at the start of the season but apparently fixed it.

nacho

Honda has lost it's special sound in corner entry, that noise they had earlier in the season. In Monaco onboards Honda sounds the same as the other cars.

CjC
CjC

DiogoBrand wrote:
godlameroso wrote:They actually went faster this year than they did last year, well at least Button did. The fastest McLaren was Magnussen and he set his best lap a 1:17.555, Button bested that by half a second, and it wasn't even enough to get to Q3. Mercedes improved by nearly a second to this time last year.
Mercedes being in front should mean they have the hardest time improving their performance, and yet they've improved by almost twice as McLaren. Which means that if McLaren ever challenges for a podium, there isn't much hope they'll challenge for wins, let alone a championship title. Don't get me wrong, I really hope McLaren rises to the top, but under their optimistic talk of always there doesn't seem to be much hope to be found.
I think a win this season is a no go and a podium is a miracle, but this a new relationship with much time per lap to improve. There is a lot of the season left, Mclaren are aiming for Silverstone(?) for a big upgrade package, Honda have something like 9 tokens to spend, so there's time, money and tokens left to see what's going to happen.
Merc won't always dominate, we might even see Ferrari dominate before we see Mclaren become worthy race winners, it's what's fascinating about the sport.
The PR talk you refer to, if the drivers want to say it then they have genuine optimism. As for Honda and Mclaren they have to say it to justify the money they are spending. There's no way anyone with a shred of competitneness in them will say we are spending 100s of millions of dollars to compete for 8th :wtf:
Just a fan's point of view

teemah

Wasn't Button's Q2 time compromised heavily by a yellow flag?

Dipesh1995

I reckon 1.16.6 was possible for Jenson yesterday without any issues.

Marco Alves

McLaren is trying a new development in Montecarlo... Cristiano Ronaldo... 8)

lotus7

That's not Renaldo in the pink ?

Mesteño

According to Fer, next evo step in Austria, then Hungaroring.