Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marco Alves

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

In a McLren facebook page (dont know if it's official) they say this two FW are different sepc, but they look quite similar (pictures are from Monaco)

Jef Patat

They look very much the same but the inner supports between the element indeed looks different.

BlackSwan

JDC123

Is that burn marks at the joint between panels on the engine cover/sidepod below the honda logo?
Last edited by JDC123 on 24 May 2015, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Alves

Jef Patat wrote:They look very much the same but the inner supports between the element indeed looks different.
That's the only difference I found also.

Edax

JDC123 wrote:http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/dow ... -00109.jpg
Is that burn marks at the joint between panels on the engine cover/sidepod below the honda logo?
Well spotted, certainly looks like blistering.

Edit one sided only. Would that be the location of the turbo entry?

trinidefender

Marco Alves wrote:In a McLren facebook page (dont know if it's official) they say this two FW are different sepc, but they look quite similar (pictures are from Monaco)

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=560C02E5

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=55CBCC89
Most visible difference I can tell is the adjustment point on the upper flaps. On one wing it is closer to the outer portion of the wing while on the other it is on the inner portion. This small difference would change the way the wing flexes at different speeds. Something teams control very tightly as getting it wrong can result in the front end not having enough grip or at the other end of the scale to much drag for the straights. Also crucial for the tuning of the balance at the front of the car at different speeds.

Webber2011

JDC123 wrote:http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/dow ... -00109.jpg
Certainly looks like it.
Can any of our esteemed members enlighten me as to what would be under that area ?

henra

Webber2011 wrote: Can any of our esteemed members enlighten me as to what would be under that area ?
That should be roughly in the area of the Turbo/MGU-H

damager21

I am kind of intrigued by 3 things which happened yesterday:
1. Perez in Force India was quicker than Button. I thought McLaren had pipped Force India and Sauber on race pace so this was unexpected
2. McLaren was quicker than Williams in hotter temperatures yesterday. Everyone blamed cooler temperature for bad qualifying performance for Williams but it looked like they were No quicker than McLaren
3. McLaren asked Button to pit during the safety car period. Could Button have scored more points had he not pitted because the gap between Button and Perez just before the incident was about 6 seconds and between Button and Riccardo was about 11 seconds.

So did we miss a chance to take 6th or 7th place?

diffuser

damager21 wrote:I am kind of intrigued by 3 things which happened yesterday:
1. Perez in Force India was quicker than Button. I thought McLaren had pipped Force India and Sauber on race pace so this was unexpected
2. McLaren was quicker than Williams in hotter temperatures yesterday. Everyone blamed cooler temperature for bad qualifying performance for Williams but it looked like they were No quicker than McLaren
3. McLaren asked Button to pit during the safety car period. Could Button have scored more points had he not pitted because the gap between Button and Perez just before the incident was about 6 seconds and between Button and Riccardo was about 11 seconds.

So did we miss a chance to take 6th or 7th place?

1- Button was a 10th Down on Perez in Quali(17.007 vs 17.093). So he would have been ahead if there wasn't a yellow flag.

As far as the race in concerned.... it's Monaco. Typically the most boring race on the Calender. Driver's that think they can pass there end up in an accident. 2017 will be interesting there with the cars being 20cm wider.

2- Hard to tell, the race was over before it started.

3-Again, this is Monaco...Lewis with New supersofts couldn't get past Vettel with 30 laps old softs. Any other track that would have been a cake walk for Lewis.

kptaylor

JDC123 wrote: Is that burn marks at the joint between panels on the engine cover/sidepod below the honda logo?
If a total loss of electronics, then there more than likely wouldn't be an cooling fans running or coolant circulating. With packaging so tight this may not be too surprising. Hopefully not an issue contributing to the DNF.

Bomber_Pilot

kptaylor wrote:
JDC123 wrote: Is that burn marks at the joint between panels on the engine cover/sidepod below the honda logo?
If a total loss of electronics, then there more than likely wouldn't be an cooling fans running or coolant circulating. With packaging so tight this may not be too surprising. Hopefully not an issue contributing to the DNF.
There are no cooling fans in an F1 car.

proteus

A little bit off the thread, but would it be legal if they would fit and electric compressor for cooling, integrated into the car as part of the balast, for cooling the most volnurable parts of electronics? And it would reduce the need of inlets (at least their size).
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

JDC123

proteus wrote:A little bit off the thread, but would it be legal if they would fit and electric compressor for cooling, integrated into the car as part of the balast, for cooling the most volnurable parts of electronics? And it would reduce the need of inlets (at least their size).
All a fan on a radiator does is suck air through the radiator when a car is stationary. A fan would not help on an F1 car as when the car is running a racing speed the air is travelling fast enough through the radiator to provide the correct amount of cooling. This only becomes a problem when they stop, which is why you see mechanics with leaf blowers for the brakes and radiator opening, however as an F1 car is only designed to be travelling fast cooling fans would therefore be pointless and would restrict air flow through the sidepods which is actually very important.