Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Yeah I mean the end-plate solely connected at the rearward part of the wing.

Pre-2014 this was the popular solution, and now everyone(except for McLaren and Marrusia) have moved away from it.

Everyone else let's the end-plate curve out sooner than that the wing ends. So it is interesting how McLaren retains this solution and even applies a previous solution(the leading part of the end-plate connected to the footplate instead of the end-plate)
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dren

Thunders wrote:With Connected Endplate you mean the Endplate sitting on the outer Arches of the Main Flaps? That's (at least to me) the "old" Red Bull Concept, since they themself moved away from it a few Races ago. And it's, now that McLaren introduced their new Wing, only used by FI in their B Spec:
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Pas ... 876062.jpg

WARNING, extreme armchairing incoming (please tell me if i'm completely off and i will delete that "analysis" ^^)
The "old" Design with the Flaps protruding the Endplate was , at least to me, to suck Air from outside the Endplate to the Inside (and under the Wing?) and "digest" it for more DF. The New Wing is more the Outwash Design most teams use these Days. There is still a Window in the Endplate, albeit much smaller than that on the Old Wing. But to me it seems that this is to get the Air that builds up in that Section of the Wing out and around the Tire. So this Window is more for drag reduction and helping the Outwash.

God i'm bad at this. :D
To me it looks like they are trying to maximize their DF by pushing the horizontal sections of the wing as far out to the edges as possible before it curls for the outwash section. I am guessing the version Mercedes started to use creates a more profound outwash effect because it starts more inboard and probably works better when the car is turning. Just a guess.
Honda!

GoranF1

Yesterday at Silverstone Mclaren conducted a filming day whit the MP4-30.I understand that during last set of rules(09-14) teams were not allowed to put any new/unraced aero part on the car during those events.Now i wonder is there a loophole in that rules to use a different spec PU,since those rules were written during a freezed V8 engines era?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jef Patat

AFAIK they can, filming days (promotional events, PAs) are considered limited testing. Only 100kms and with special tires. They used a filming day last year to test the Honda for the first time. And remember what williams did with the illegal winglet in front of the rears? Doesn't even need to be 'race legal'.

http://www.fia.com/file/22781/download?token=ppOsOdk7 section 22.1 and 22.4
and here are the references, which are references to cars needing to be 'safe' (crash test wise, etc)
http://www.fia.com/file/22782/download?token=0yN48RON

vantage87

F1 - Honda awaits the green light from the FIA ​​for his engine change (from motorsport.nextgen-auto.com)

"... According to several sources at McLaren, this engine is waiting FIA green light for approval and may be installed in one of the two McLaren Honda's Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso from Hungary.

Honda has made reliable all the most fragile parts have managed to win no less than 70 horses with this new trend, closing the gap with Mercedes at 30 or 40 horses. Consumption has also been worked and a gain of almost 3% is mentioned for equal performance..."

ChrisM40

Why wait for the engine rule change? What does it actually matter if the rule gets passed or not at this stage? They would be either at the back because of the earlier sh*tty engine, or at the back due to penalties but with a chance of moving forward with a better one. At least they could test the car if they had the new engine.

j.yank

ChrisM40 wrote:Why wait for the engine rule change? What does it actually matter if the rule gets passed or not at this stage? They would be either at the back because of the earlier sh*tty engine, or at the back due to penalties but with a chance of moving forward with a better one. At least they could test the car if they had the new engine.
Because with penalty for new engine they will start again from the back of the grid but the chance for a crash at the start of the race is quite high there.

j.yank

vantage87 wrote:
Honda has made reliable all the most fragile parts have managed to win no less than 70 horses with this new trend, closing the gap with Mercedes at 30 or 40 horses. Consumption has also been worked and a gain of almost 3% is mentioned for equal performance..."
Where you find this information about the horses?

PlatinumZealot

ChrisM40 wrote:Why wait for the engine rule change? What does it actually matter if the rule gets passed or not at this stage? They would be either at the back because of the earlier sh*tty engine, or at the back due to penalties but with a chance of moving forward with a better one. At least they could test the car if they had the new engine.
If they rule still stays at 4 engines per year, if honda introduce the new engine Mclaren will get penalized in Hungary their best chance of scoring points (even with the old engine)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1

vantage87 wrote:F1 - Honda awaits the green light from the FIA ​​for his engine change (from motorsport.nextgen-auto.com)

"... According to several sources at McLaren, this engine is waiting FIA green light for approval and may be installed in one of the two McLaren Honda's Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso from Hungary.

source?

GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
If they rule still stays at 4 engines per year, if honda introduce the new engine Mclaren will get penalized in Hungary their best chance of scoring points (even with the old engine)
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119936

Thunder18

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:
vantage87 wrote:F1 - Honda awaits the green light from the FIA ​​for his engine change (from motorsport.nextgen-auto.com)

source?
There's talk of token upgrades, but nothin about horsepower??
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Hond ... 92816.html

Thunder18

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:

source?

vantage87

Thunder18 wrote:
ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:

source?
Source:
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Hond ... 92811.html