Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
i70q7m7ghw

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

foxmulder_ms wrote:I buy what Honda is claiming. After all, 2014 Mclaren with Mercedes engine was 1.5-2 sec off the pace. Is this year that different?
I don't. Watch the onboard comparison's, the McLaren is just slow on acceleration, which can only really be the engine. In terms of raw numbers, perhaps it has improved as they say, but delivering the power to the track still seems to be an issue.

Alan McNish said at Hungary that the McLaren was visibily fastest through some of the more demanding corners, but also visibly slowest out of them.

proteus

Diesel wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:I buy what Honda is claiming. After all, 2014 Mclaren with Mercedes engine was 1.5-2 sec off the pace. Is this year that different?
I don't. Watch the onboard comparison's, the McLaren is just slow on acceleration, which can only really be the engine. In terms of raw numbers, perhaps it has improved as they say, but delivering the power to the track still seems to be an issue.

Alan McNish said at Hungary that the McLaren was visibily fastest through some of the more demanding corners, but also visibly slowest out of them.
Apart from overheating issues, Honda aparently still havent by far mastered the acceleration. I believe they tried few times this season with using of full power (literally full) and it all ended with almost catastrophical results. Alonso crashed in spain in pre-season testing and Button scared out of his mind on the same circuit, where i believe they tried it again this time with him instead of Alonso (that time he claimed that they wont see points at all). Thats why the engine is detuned, so the car can at least stay on the track without smashing every time when the driver would touch the throttle pedal.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

I think the engine they got was not in the same level as their own. U have to consider they made it for use of petronas fuel and oil.
+ the collaboration was not on the level of previous years. Everyone knew they are leaving to another manufacturer and they probably tried to cover as much details of the engine as possible, which means that constructing the car arround was more difficult.

The car was still slower, but not whole 2 seconds by itself. 0.5-1s was due to the differences which i mentioned above

The 2013 chasis on the other hand was a total failure, due to the fact that they didnt stay with the concept they knew well and they embarked on the journey of using different front suspension and layout of the car.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

radosav

radosav

Silent Storm

The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Blackout

The metallic intake manifold is back ?

PlatinumZealot

proteus wrote:
Diesel wrote:

Apart from overheating issues, Honda aparently still havent by far mastered the acceleration. I believe they tried few times this season with using of full power (literally full) and it all ended with almost catastrophical results. Alonso crashed in spain in pre-season testing and Button scared out of his mind on the same circuit, where i believe they tried it again this time with him instead of Alonso (that time he claimed that they wont see points at all). Thats why the engine is detuned, so the car can at least stay on the track without smashing every time when the driver would touch the throttle pedal.
Low speed down-force and traction is what Mclaren lacks. Hungary didn't show the power improvement because of it.. but I believe Arai more than Ron Dennis. Remember how slow the car was last year with all those false promises from Ron?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Thunder

Blackout wrote:The metallic intake manifold is back ?
They only had the Carbon One for 1 Race.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

matt21

AMUS

bauc

Is that some kind of sensor bolted to the fw on the photo above :?:

Thanks.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

bauc wrote:Is that some kind of sensor bolted to the fw on the photo above :?:

Thanks.
If you're talking about the bolt attached to the 2 wing from the top (3ird if you're counting from the right side) starting just right of the nose. That's the wing adjustment mechanism.

matt21

bauc wrote:Is that some kind of sensor bolted to the fw on the photo above :?:

Thanks.
If you mean this (red circle), it is the flap adjuster.