Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CjC
CjC

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

horse wrote:
"I think 'not running at full power' is the wrong way to say it. We know there is more that we can achieve with the power unit, but we are trying to push as much as we can right now. So where do I think we are? I think we have made good progress but there is still a long way to go. The feeling is reasonably good, but a work in progress definitely – we are not where we want to be.”
Relief for Jenson Button and McLaren as the MP4-30 finally piles on the miles

This reads a little downbeat to me, but obviously I wasn't there to hear the sentiment. You could argue that he has just admitted there is not a great deal extra to come from the power unit. A "reasonably good" feeling doesn't sound like JB at his most upbeat either.
I agree, you can get a good gauge of JB but in this interview it's hard to tell what he really means.
One thing I will say is surely honda aren't 3 seconds down in the merc... That's night and day behind, mclaren would have told honda what the Mercedes PU BHP was in 2014 so you'd imagine honda managed to beat that figure...

Hearing rumours that the race spec PU and Melbourne aero spec will be fitted to the car tomorrow so hopefully that will bring us closer to the front.
Also hearing KMag is driving tomorrow if this is true bit of a bad idea- keep JB in the car, we need the only race driver available to get to grips with the car, for set up work if nothing else.
Just a fan's point of view

Del Boy
Del Boy

turbof1 wrote:
f1rules wrote:No, its the old one from last year, i noticed it also, surprised they re introduced it again, so late
They've had little running up until now, else we might have seem the running them on an earlier stage; I personally think they are just comparing aero data. It's a brand new concept after all.
Oh good I'm glad you've sorted that out

the EDGE
the EDGE

CjC wrote:
horse wrote:
"I think 'not running at full power' is the wrong way to say it. We know there is more that we can achieve with the power unit, but we are trying to push as much as we can right now. So where do I think we are? I think we have made good progress but there is still a long way to go. The feeling is reasonably good, but a work in progress definitely – we are not where we want to be.”
Relief for Jenson Button and McLaren as the MP4-30 finally piles on the miles

This reads a little downbeat to me, but obviously I wasn't there to hear the sentiment. You could argue that he has just admitted there is not a great deal extra to come from the power unit. A "reasonably good" feeling doesn't sound like JB at his most upbeat either.
I agree, you can get a good gauge of JB but in this interview it's hard to tell what he really means.
One thing I will say is surely honda aren't 3 seconds down in the merc... That's night and day behind, mclaren would have told honda what the Mercedes PU BHP was in 2014 so you'd imagine honda managed to beat that figure...

Hearing rumours that the race spec PU and Melbourne aero spec will be fitted to the car tomorrow so hopefully that will bring us closer to the front.
Also hearing KMag is driving tomorrow if this is true bit of a bad idea- keep JB in the car, we need the only race driver available to get to grips with the car, for set up work if nothing else.
Remember to bear in mind though it's not just all about raw HP but the way the various components of the PU work together over the course of the lap to exploit the fuel available

Richard
Richard

The car thread is meant to focus on the actual features of the car.

I'll tidy things up tomorrow. Team chatter in the team thread please.

Fanboy cow manure in the bin please.

mikeerfol

ltitus8900
ltitus8900

Seems like the mp4-30 is just fine in the corners as I expected. However, that engine definitely isn't running maximum horses. I wish we knew exactly how much. Can't wait to see it turned all the way up.

maccafan
maccafan

ltitus8900 wrote:Seems like the mp4-30 is just fine in the corners as I expected. However, that engine definitely isn't running maximum horses. I wish we knew exactly how much. Can't wait to see it turned all the way up.
Wonder why the enginge sounds like it is missfiring in the corners. Could they do that intentionally to achieve traction control?

gary123

maccafan wrote:
ltitus8900 wrote:Seems like the mp4-30 is just fine in the corners as I expected. However, that engine definitely isn't running maximum horses. I wish we knew exactly how much. Can't wait to see it turned all the way up.
Wonder why the enginge sounds like it is missfiring in the corners. Could they do that intentionally to achieve traction control?
No. They are leaving the foot of throttle earlier than the others and the sound is generated by the ERS that is wokring on 70%. McLaren is trying to get some milage without breaking all.

trinidefender
trinidefender

It honestly sounds like they are running cylinder cutting to an even greater extreme than the other manufacturers. In the corners and especially coming down the pit land where the rpm and throttle is low then it almost has this Ducati twin sound. Could it be that at low power levels they cut right down to two cylinders.....that would be my inference.

rscsr

the EDGE wrote:
CjC wrote: I agree, you can get a good gauge of JB but in this interview it's hard to tell what he really means.

Remember to bear in mind though it's not just all about raw HP but the way the various components of the PU work together over the course of the lap to exploit the fuel available
But since McLaren has all the telemetry, it would be pretty easy to figure out where the Mercedes engine does stuff.
So I guess that they can't really get the valve timings, but you can at least find out how much heat is rejected, when is the engine producing which power figures and so on.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's not really that, it's how you blend from your power sources seamlessly, with it being transparent to the driver, it's not necessarily the way to get the most power at a particular time, often you'll settle for less power that is much more predictable and consistant.

Mesteño

https://vine.co/v/O2FAzpOWTML

Still the Turbo sounds much more than Mercedes. Is it positive or means nothing?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Why is Mclaren removing cascades from FW?
Are the lacking rear DF?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Mesteño

McLaren has remained true to the system for Japanese Akebono brakes : the image that we propose is possible to see the sophistication of the basket carbon front . In addition to the hub holes you can see the bell of the disc that is appropriately punctured : the aerodynamic Woking , in fact , have devoted great attention to the management of the hot air generated by the disc and caliper.

If the flow through the central hole you try to reattach the flow towards the rear diffuser , " cleaning up " the front wheel harmful turbulence , it is interesting to understand how heat is radiated from the circle to contribute to heating the rubber . And it is no coincidence that the circle is thought Enkei with an outer ring of holes useful for disposal of high temperature .
http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/49107/ ... um=twitter

Hail22

Seems like today will be encouraging for Mclaren with their schedule

11:43 And the daily lap tallies:

Magnussen - 34

I just noticed Mclaren are now working on their qualy programme with softs as well as testing the blown wheel nuts.

I found this theory from our friends in Turkey:

Translation from article / source of photo -Through air ducts positioned on top of the radiator , radiator directly from No. 1 to the air inlet (2) is directed , the engine cover behind the car watching the road at the bottom of the spine (3) from the air outlet ( Fig.3 ) is being evacuated.

The second air inlet ( 4) and the power unit COMPRESSOR (5) ensures cooling of such other parts of the system .

Link:http://www.turkiyef1.com/haberler/38210 ... sirri.html
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve