Toro Rosso STR10 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Toro Rosso STR10

Monaco has a low drag penalty due to the low speeds. A good chassis will show there. A good driver, too. As has been stated, it highlighted the driveability issues of the others compared to the Mercedes.
Honda!

Morteza

Malaysian GP - Thursday

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

CBeck113

Morteza wrote:Malaysian GP - Thursday

Via AMuS
First time I saw a structure element passing through a part of an engine, very interesting solution - probabaly get some gas flow stabilization out of it too.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Manoah2u

CBeck113 wrote:

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/GP- ... 853038.jpg

Via AMuS
First time I saw a structure element passing through a part of an engine, very interesting solution - probabaly get some gas flow stabilization out of it too.
why would it go through the exhaust? it's welded on top of it, it's not passing through it
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

eyalynf1

Manoah2u wrote:
CBeck113 wrote:

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/GP- ... 853038.jpg

Via AMuS
why would it go through the exhaust? it's welded on top of it, it's not passing through it
In this case, the exhaust is a structural element. Rear wing forces pass through the carbon post down through the exhaust pipe.

aleks_ader

Via AMuS

In this case, the exhaust is a structural element. Rear wing forces pass through the carbon post down through the exhaust pipe.[/quote]

And i belive there where is reforcment of exhaust its also connected on top of gearbox...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

Look on this pic to see what i mean..

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Tor ... 849451.jpg
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

roadie

That is very strange! I wonder why they have done that instead of the inverted Y-lon that other teams are using?

daveyrace

They must have a reason for putting the support through the exhaust like that? I put an overlay of the part from the poicture aleks_ader linked to on the picture via Amus from above. So the position of the part can be seen. What we need is a shot straight up the exhaust
What is interesting is that the part appears to be clean, i.e no exhaust gasses have passed over it, so it must be shielded. Perhaps the exhaust drops over the top of it and has an integral fin/shield welded in. Perhaps they just want a clean flow of air round the outside of the exhaust from under the engine cover?

Per
Per

eyalynf1 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
CBeck113 wrote:First time I saw a structure element passing through a part of an engine, very interesting solution - probabaly get some gas flow stabilization out of it too.
In this case, the exhaust is a structural element. Rear wing forces pass through the carbon post down through the exhaust pipe.
Bear in mind that the vertical post is also connected to the engine cover which might have some proper support underneath to carry the loads. And that the rear wing end plates are mounted to the floor, which will carry a very large portion of the downforce.

Exhausts really aren't made for any off-axis loading...

atlantis

(I don't think it's the case but) Let's assume the pylon goes through the exhaust: it occupy space inside the tube so less hot exhaust gases pass through it.
Does it help/affect engine performance?

mkable1370

atlantis wrote:(I don't think it's the case but) Let's assume the pylon goes through the exhaust: it occupy space inside the tube so less hot exhaust gases pass through it.
I wonder, if the center support actually does go through the exhaust pipe, if the heating of the center support by exhaust gasses causes the support to expand causing the center section of the rear wing to move upwards slightly relative to the outer edges, which I believe are fixed in position via attachment of the end plates to the floor?

Possible?

Per
Per

atlantis wrote:(I don't think it's the case but) Let's assume the pylon goes through the exhaust: it occupy space inside the tube so less hot exhaust gases pass through it.
It sure wouldn't help. It would be a (minor) blockage for the exhaust flow, basically increasing the backpressure seen by the ICE/turbine and reducing output power.

Does anyone have any pictures more from the side so we can estimate the distance between the support and the end of the exhaust? Regulations say the last 150mm of the tail pipe must be unobstructed so if the pylon is within those 150mm we can end the speculation immediately. If not, then it would be allowed by regulations but still highly unlikely that there is any structure passing through the exhaust imo.

techF1LES

Formula1.com wrote:Instead of a round design mimicking the shape of the exhaust, the vertical attachment structure (dotted line) goes inside the big pipe and is attached to the car’s deformable rear crash structure. There’s no doubt that it’s a lighter solution and one that doesn’t interfere with engine performance.

ringo

I think it would contravene the rules if it did. secondly the heat would be transmitted through the support and would cause damage or burning or too much flexibility.
what i think this design is is the exhaust pipe is the support itself. If you look slightly behind the support you see a band of CF. That band is where the strength is coming from.
That pipe is more than enough strength to support a little 750mm rear wing.

Anyhow, this car seems just as good as the redbull, and i believe they have done a better job with the renault engine.
For Sure!!