Williams FW37 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: Williams FW37 Mercedes

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
The observer checks the pitlane is clear, chief mech is stood behind #PitStopTech

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Front jack lifts the car then a levers pulled to allow the handle to swivel sideways so the jackman is out of the way

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

The second hand lever operates the pneumatic catch to drop the car #PitStopTech

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Nut is retained in the wheel by this threaded collar, the tool is used to release the collar if it jams on

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Any jams mean the axle threads are clean with wet wipes! #PitStopTech

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Then both threads are regreased #PitStopTech

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Nose changes are practised, the crew all wear @ruroc_army ski helmets #PitStopTech

Last edited by LookBackTime on 25 Jul 2015, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1 6m6 minutes ago
Front wing flap adjustments are carried out with this tool. Preset for the correct number of turns #PitStopTech

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Remember, All this is done in about 2s and in the heat of Hungary! #PitStopTech

turbof1

I'll make changes to my front wing illustrations this weekend. Personally I am very happy Williams finally have choosen this particular direction instead of hovering somewhat on their outdated design. It'll set a firm base for further development.
#AeroFrodo

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

turbof1 wrote:I'll make changes to my front wing illustrations this weekend. Personally I am very happy Williams finally have choosen this particular direction instead of hovering somewhat on their outdated design. It'll set a firm base for further development.
I am a little puzzled. The team said the new FW has excellent wind tunnel numbers, but Bottas think the new wing is just a little better than the old one. So any ideas why? (learning process of the new wing may be)

turbof1

Besides correlation anomalities, it'll take time to get the flow structure map back to a satisfactory level. It'll simply take time to get the most out of it.

However, also note that Hungaroring is a high downforce circuit. The change makes front area be sacrificed for better tyre wake management. This normally increases efficiency (does not so much reduce drag but allows less airflow be wasted) but reduced peak downforce. That Bottas feels a slight improvement dispite the circuit demanding downforce above all, can be considered as a very good sign that the wing works very well.

Again, very pleased to see them making this jump. It'll provide much needed aero stability the car lacked.
#AeroFrodo

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

turbof1

Matt, the drawings are lovely. I have to make one remark though: it looks, emphasis on looks because eyes can always play tricks on oneself, that you drew the endplate to merge with the outboard upperflaps. I don't think that's what happening; my impression is that they are seperate.
#AeroFrodo