Williams FW37 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
edu2703

Re: Williams FW37 Mercedes

PlatinumZealot wrote:Big rear wing compared to the Bulls.
Williams have a good straight-line speed, so they don`t need low-drag rear wings. The Bulls need them, because their straight-line speeds are extremely low, compared to the other teams.

Silent Storm

I think Williams need those big rear wings for rear stability.. I don't remember which race it was when Felipe ran without a monkey seat which caused the car to spin. The same reason can be applied here they need big wings for stability and downforce which they lack.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

LookBackTime

Albert Fabrega ES ‏@AlbertFabrega
Fotos del Williams en Spa

LookBackTime

LookBackTime

LookBackTime

Sevach

LookBackTime

Rob Smedley:

"The biggest issue we then had was the first stint pace. We couldn't get the pace out of the car, [due to the] front tyres graining more than likely, and that is what put us on the back foot.

"That's why we were passed so easily and fell back into the clutches of the sixth, seventh, eighth positions, or whatever it was.

"Then afterwards, when we pitted the pace was all right. I guess what we would have done differently is slightly different preparation for the front tyres on that first stint.

"That's what we need to address. We need to go away and understand what it is with our car that sometimes the front tyres don't work."

n_anirudh

From 2:34 onwards, the tailfin and the monkey seat seem to vibrate a lot more on the straights...

SimonFW11b

LookBackTime wrote:Rob Smedley:

"The biggest issue we then had was the first stint pace. We couldn't get the pace out of the car, [due to the] front tyres graining more than likely, and that is what put us on the back foot.

"That's why we were passed so easily and fell back into the clutches of the sixth, seventh, eighth positions, or whatever it was.

"Then afterwards, when we pitted the pace was all right. I guess what we would have done differently is slightly different preparation for the front tyres on that first stint.

"That's what we need to address. We need to go away and understand what it is with our car that sometimes the front tyres don't work."
This seems to be hard-wired into our recent cars- occasional instances of the tyre being outside its window and a very decent car looking poor as a result

But...I still can't understand why we didn't trim the cars more for maximum straight-line speed, like Torro Rosso and the RBs. As soon as I saw the AoA of the Rear Wing, I sensed trouble.

We should have played to our strengths more in Belgium