Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Timbit

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

Are Red Bull attempting to blow the rear wing through the rear wing support?

I know they've had rounded upper edges for their engine covers, but the roundness of the rear wing support, and the way the base bends to meet the back of the engine cover, as well as the fact that the support now attaches to the DRS control mechanism, makes me believe that their is airflow going through there. I also note that there are two sort of curves on the engine cover, one that goes down and flows into line with the exhaust pipe, and then there's the upper part that foes down to the rear wing support.

Thunder

They had such a RW Support on the RB10 already.

And i don't think it's for Blowing. way to many 90 degree Turns and a very small diameter. So i think that solutions just gives the least Turbulences.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Sevach

Jonnycraig

Re: Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

Vary wrote:I'm sure they are trying to hide something with that camouflage livery, but what?
Realistically wth every team there and 3D modellers at every factory, they won't be hiding anything, just a bit of fun from what were once known as the fun team of F1.

gandharva

Thunders wrote:They had such a RW Support on the RB10 already.
Last years was very different. This one looks like it's integrated in the chassis.
Last edited by gandharva on 01 Feb 2015, 12:01, edited 2 times in total.

djos

Sevach wrote:Image
My god that's amazing packaging!
"In downforce we trust"

zztopless

Timbit wrote:Are Red Bull attempting to blow the rear wing through the rear wing support?
I would have thought the regulation that was brought in to stop teams using the opening of the DRS to open a slot to create the 'double DRS' effect, which Red Bull exploited quite successfully at the back end of 2013 (or was is 2012?). Who knows though, maybe the wording of that regulation is specific enough that they think they can get away with using the actuator?

I find it doubtful however.

Thunder

gandharva wrote: Last years was very different. This one looks like it's integrated in the chassis.
This is from the RB10, looks well integrated.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Timbit

Thunders wrote:They had such a RW Support on the RB10 already.

And i don't think it's for Blowing. way to many 90 degree Turns and a very small diameter. So i think that solutions just gives the least Turbulences.
The RB10 support was quite thick at the base, but thinned quite quickly, and connected to the underside of the rear wing. The reasons I think it is blowing to an extent is because of the rounded corner between the base of the support and the engine cover, the rounded appearance of the support (espeically at its base) and the fact that the support now attaches to the DRS control deviceat the top. I did think though about the 90º turn the airflow would have to make (and therefore turbulent) but it feels like quite a complex solution for simply supporting the rear wing. Would be great the car right from the back!
zztopless wrote: I would have thought the regulation that was brought in to stop teams using the opening of the DRS to open a slot to create the 'double DRS' effect, which Red Bull exploited quite successfully at the back end of 2013 (or was is 2012?). Who knows though, maybe the wording of that regulation is specific enough that they think they can get away with using the actuator?

I find it doubtful however.
Nah you're probably right. I still find the way the base of the rear wing support attaches to the engine cover, and whole the whole thing is so rounded.

aleks_ader

Timbit wrote:Are Red Bull attempting to blow the rear wing through the rear wing support?

http://i.imgur.com/sphmtAk.jpg
No blowing. So no magic wand tricks, just pure aero masterpiece.
Plus DDRS duct are forbidden even if you use actuator. All that is part od Drag Reduction System and any ducting is exclusively forbidden.
F1Teh 2015 rules wrote:It cannot be used to change the geometry of any duct, either directly or indirectly, other than the change to the distance between adjacent sections permitted by Article 3.10.1.
There could be just option to use passive fluid switch- Like Lotus try with its DRD device, but they really doesn't make it work. They race it 1 year ago in Silverstone 2013 on Kimmis car.

Anyway those pillar is just there for pure structure and aero reasons. Swan-neck supports are quite effective to prevent to prevent unwanted stalling in low pressure area of central part of RW .

Bv brilliant livery i still giggling my self how hards is to distinguish the details. :D
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

gandharva

Thunders wrote:
gandharva wrote: Last years was very different. This one looks like it's integrated in the chassis.
This is from the RB10, looks well integrated.
http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 625103.jpg
Don't you see the difference? RB10 mounting sticks out only at the very end of the car. On RB11 the mounting starts much more in front of the car.

/edit
Without the mounting, the red line could be the end of the car.

FrukostScones

Re: Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

Vary wrote:I'm sure they are trying to hide something with that camouflage livery, but what?
direction and speed of the vehicle! :mrgreen:

AWESOME!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

poolboy67

anyone notice how incredibly small the cooling inlets on the sidepods are?
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

Pilatus

timbo

poolboy67 wrote:anyone notice how incredibly small the cooling inlets on the sidepods are?
Not only that, but compared to TR much less additional cooling inlets too