Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gandharva

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

gandharva wrote:Why does RB11 not need that monster cooler? Or... where can you find it on RB11?

http://abload.de/img/str-coolerlluaw.jpg
OK, there it is:

Blackout

Looks like the gearbox's and/or ERS radiator.
Why does RB11 not need that monster cooler? Or... where can you find it on RB11?

The 'monster cooler in the STR is the engine's oil or water cooler. The RBR obvioulsy needs one and it's simply located in the sidepods like every other car, bar the STR. STR has simply put it outside the sidepods to make them smaller.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I spot three(six in total) lambda sensors, one for each cylinder. Do the other engine manufacturers also have that many lambda sensors or just one per cylinder bank, any pictures?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

gandharva

Blackout wrote:Looks like the gearbox's and/or ERS radiator.
Why does RB11 not need that monster cooler? Or... where can you find it on RB11?

The 'monster cooler in the STR is the engine's oil or water cooler. The RBR obvioulsy needs one and it's simply located in the sidepods like every other car, bar the STR. STR has simply put it outside the sidepods to make them smaller.
I disagree. Sidepod radiators are the same in STR10. Just slightly different connectors.

Ferraripilot

Blanchimont wrote:I spot three(six in total) lambda sensors, one for each cylinder. Do the other engine manufacturers also have that many lambda sensors or just one per cylinder bank, any pictures?

I would hope they do. Individual cylinder monitoring is paramount for understanding individual cylinder cooling and air fuel monitoring. I would think they would have worked out all the block and head hot spots but this is F1 so I wouldn't be surprised if hot spots slightly changed behavior simply based on humidity and ambient temps. I'm sure they have multiple air temp sensors as well both inside and outside the car especially post the intercooler

PlatinumZealot

Blanchimont wrote:I spot three(six in total) lambda sensors, one for each cylinder. Do the other engine manufacturers also have that many lambda sensors or just one per cylinder bank, any pictures?
More likely EGT sensors.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Facts Only
Facts Only

PlatinumZealot wrote:
More likely EGT sensors.
I think (need to check the rules) that you are only allowed a single Lambda probe. As mentioned they are likely EGG or pressure sensors of some sort.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

PlatinumZealot

Facts Only wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
More likely EGT sensors.
I think (need to check the rules) that you are only allowed a single Lambda probe. As mentioned they are likely EGG or pressure sensors of some sort.
Even if the rules allowed six Lambda probes fuel tuning to given lamba values is very basic for the engine guys. There are more interested in the egt. The egt tells you the results of tuning. How the combustion is affected . Labda is just a basic parameter the resulting oxygen conentration can be ok and the engine is running like crap on a butt cheek.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

mbchc
mbchc

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/statu ... 1413420032 I think they change their front wing for a bit... Or I just blind and thinking too much #-o
The upper elements of the front wing curved inwards looks like Mercedes' method...
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

Facts Only
Facts Only

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Facts Only wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
More likely EGT sensors.
Even if the rules allowed six Lambda probes fuel tuning to given lamba values is very basic for the engine guys. There are more interested in the egt. The egt tells you the results of tuning. How the combustion is affected . Labda is just a basic parameter the resulting oxygen conentration can be ok and the engine is running like crap on a butt cheek.
The pre homologation dev' engines had 9 lambda probes, it's still the primary measurement.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

atlantis
atlantis

Horner said they had problems to the brakes because they switch manufacturer: which brakes are using RBs this year?

Juzh

Carbon industrie

atlantis
atlantis

Thanks Juzh.
I just read here http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Mark ... 88597.html Marko told:
Marko also hinted that Red Bull might be missing Vettelโ€™s technical input already.

"Today we had extreme problems with the brakes," he said. "After Sebastian left we changed to a manufacturer that he never liked, but we will change back now."

Sevach
Sevach

They were Brembos during the Seb era right?

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Sevach wrote:They were Brembos during the Seb era right?
Last year they were, according to Racecar Engineering.