Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

Via AMuS

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

rayden

atlantis

Very similar to Toro Rosso's nose

fawe4

atlantis wrote:Very similar to Toro Rosso's nose
Yup, but it is takes it a step further still. It almost feels as Toro Rosso's second nose update was a preparation for this one.

shady

I suppose that 80mm or 8cm or ~3in wasnt so far fetched..

PlatinumZealot

Demonstration short nose:

Testing nose:

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Morteza

Β© Giorgio Piola
Formula1.com wrote:After needing no less than four FIA crash tests to homologate it, Red Bull finally introduced their new, shorter nose on the RB11 in Spain. It’s not dissimilar to the Toro Rosso’s and is easily spotted by the much steeper angle of the front wing pillars compared to the old, long nose (inset). Note that the central section of the nose no longer interferes with the main profile. This new nose also moves the centre of pressure backwards and gives more downforce to the diffuser.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

henra

fawe4 wrote: Yup, but it is takes it a step further still. It almost feels as Toro Rosso's second nose update was a preparation for this one.
The new short nose looks really nice. As does the whole car with pronounced coke bottle and detailed Front Wing.
The new nose opens up the flow to the underbody nicely, creates a low pressure zone at the TE of the neutral section and the nicely sculpted pylons will direct more air cleanly to the Tray area. No steep angles at the coke bottle or probable stagnation areas that would be prone to flow separation, simply nothing suspicious.
Eyeball aerodynamics (I know, I know) doesn't provide one single cue what went wrong.
Hereby I'm officially puzzled by the lukewarm performance of the car.
And: No I don't think it is just about the engine. They must have messed up something with the Chassis as well...
Possibly rigidity problems? That would at least fit quite well to the apparent tendency for unpredictable over/understeer which I seem to have seen with the RB11 from time to time.

ringo

That nose is not really new. It just looks like everything has moved around it. The pillars moved back and the "nostrils" moved forward.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

It is the same nose from the pre-season, but it is passed the crash test now. The Australia spec nose was the back up plan.

turbof1

PlatinumZealot wrote:It is the same nose from the pre-season, but it is passed the crash test now. The Australia spec nose was the back up plan.
If you are referring to the nose during the winter tests, then no: cars are allowed to breach the technical rules on their own during tests and free practices, but not the rules on crash tests. If the car does not pass all of the crashtests, it does not drive during any event related to F1. Perhaps film/promo days are exceptions.
#AeroFrodo

FrukostScones

turbof1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:It is the same nose from the pre-season, but it is passed the crash test now. The Australia spec nose was the back up plan.
If you are referring to the nose during the winter tests, then no: cars are allowed to breach the technical rules on their own during tests and free practices, but not the rules on crash tests. If the car does not pass all of the crashtests, it does not drive during any event related to F1. Perhaps film/promo days are exceptions.
he is so wrong, with both of his latest RB11 posts
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PlatinumZealot

turbof1 wrote:
OK.. Virtual Launch spec then, if that suits you better..

I never said the short nose was used in testing. The short nose was the first one revealed. Check out the first renderings of the RB11. This is not obvious to anyone else?

djos

PlatinumZealot wrote: OK.. Virtual Launch spec then, if that suits you better..

I never said the short nose was used in testing. The short nose was the first one revealed. Check out the first renderings of the RB11. This is not obvious to anyone else?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8vmubaCYAAJoJ1.jpg:large
I think you need glasses mate, that is clearly NOT the new nose.
"In downforce we trust"

wesley123

Yep, not the short nose. The pillars, and "thumb" give it away pretty well, even with all the camo.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender