Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

toraabe wrote:
ME4ME wrote:Looks like a very skinny rear wing with low angle of attack. Imagine what they'll run in Monza..

Guess they have no choise :(

Not when according to themselves are 120 hp down on mercedes http://www.motorline.cc/formel1/archiv/ ... 97351.html

What can they do ?? Nothing. RB and Toro rosso would have been in front of ferrari perhaps also mercedes if not due to the renault PU that is more or less a complete design flaw. Ferari have cached up.. The renault PU has 20 hp less this year than last and worse drivability ... So .. I think that renault calls it at the end of this year,....
I don't really believe those numbers, and I find it very hard to believe they would be using an engine that is 20 hp down and has poorer drivability than last years, they would just race last years spec? My understanding was the new spec PU had more power, but it wasn't very good at delivering the extra power.

dren

Diesel wrote:
toraabe wrote:
ME4ME wrote:Looks like a very skinny rear wing with low angle of attack. Imagine what they'll run in Monza..

Guess they have no choise :(

Not when according to themselves are 120 hp down on mercedes http://www.motorline.cc/formel1/archiv/ ... 97351.html

What can they do ?? Nothing. RB and Toro rosso would have been in front of ferrari perhaps also mercedes if not due to the renault PU that is more or less a complete design flaw. Ferari have cached up.. The renault PU has 20 hp less this year than last and worse drivability ... So .. I think that renault calls it at the end of this year,....
I don't really believe those numbers, and I find it very hard to believe they would be using an engine that is 20 hp down and has poorer drivability than last years, they would just race last years spec? My understanding was the new spec PU had more power, but it wasn't very good at delivering the extra power.
That sounds the most likely to me.
Honda!

Blackout

Driveability is better than last year according to Abitebool and is similar to last year according to Ricciardo.

toraabe
toraabe

The engine can deliver more HP, but is tuned down due to reliability

lio007

Morteza wrote:Image

Via ‏@Albrodpul
Did RB run the new FW today, on the pics I've seen so far, it was always the old one...

lio007

lio007

lio007 wrote:
Did RB run the new FW today, on the pics I've seen so far, it was always the old one...
Obviously they did an aero-run with it:

bhall II
bhall II

Their effect on performance may not amount to a hill of beans, but I still love Red Bull's single-piece engine covers.

astracrazy
astracrazy

as i understand it, they are the only team to do this. Is there a reason why?

bhall II
bhall II

I imagine it makes packaging a bit easier, since a single-piece cover probably doesn't need mounting points scattered all over the engine bay.

RicME85

That's what I was thinking. Must be a headache for transporting, can't put it in a travel case like McLaren do.

zioture
zioture

lio007

Not so often that you can see the FW from this perspective. Nice catch on 2nd day of testing.

trinidefender
trinidefender

bhall II wrote:Their effect on performance may not amount to a hill of beans, but I still love Red Bull's single-piece engine covers.

http://i.imgur.com/Md7Gx1v.jpg
Honestly this is something I have wondered for a while. Body panel gaps is enough to instantly kill laminar flow. Granted true laminar flow is not achieved with all of the airflow changes in front of that bodywork, it will still help. Reducing spaces between bodywork has the effect of reducing surface friction and helps reduce inadvertent airflow eddies forming which, incidentally, helps reduce disparity between what is actually happening and what is simulated. It is highly unlikely that the CAD and CFD models replicate spaces in panels.

Reducing panel gaps and spaces helps keep the boundary layer to a minimum which is what reduces the drag.

I would just imagine for such a large and thin panel it would be very time consuming and labour intensive to create those as 1 piece.

SectorOne

I think other teams tape over the gaps of the different body parts so i´m not so sure the difference is that big.
Looks amazing though.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"