Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djos

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

I'm not convinced RedBull ran max down force as I don't recall seeing a monkey seat on the car (possible I missed it)?
"In downforce we trust"

Thunder

I don't know what DF Configuration they ran but RB did have a Monkey Seat on Sunday.

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

djos

So they did, cheers for correcting me.
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

Is it me or the total fluel now leaves back an orange coloured residue in the exhaust just like the Shell fuel.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

SiLo

That rear wing just looks like the Merc rear wing with different colours
Felipe Baby!

wesley123

djos wrote:
Did you think about what you wrote? Let's think about this logically for a moment:

large downforce* = good traction, good braking, good tire management (reduced slip, improved surface contact etc etc)
It doesn't necessarily improve traction, downforce needs speed to have an effect. Traction mainly applies to the slowr corners

Same for braking, doesn't necessarily have to be true. As the car brakes it would push the front closer to the ground, making aero sensitivity an important point of the braking process and committing to the corner. And on that, red Bull is the sole team to run a full-width 6-plane front wing.

Tire management also can be an issue, as at some point you'll load the tires too much(GTPs at Road Atlanta anyone?).
On the other hand Monaco and Hungary prove the RB11 has excellent downforce and is lacking the PU to be truly competitive.
Like said, downforce alone doesn't make a good car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Morteza

Red Bull RB11 - blown front axle

ยฉ Giorgio Piola
Formula1.com wrote:Red Bull were the original inventors of the blown axle, conceiving a rotary hub design in 2012 - although half a season later the system was subsequently ruled illegal by the FIA as it was considered to be a moving aerodynamic device. Williams moved the thinking forward in 2013, using a fixed tube inside a central hub - which negated the need for a moving component, and was therefore deemed legal. Red Bull adopted that design in their 2013 chassis, while Ferrari and McLaren used a version of it from the start of the 2015 campaign. In Hungary, Red Bull reintroduced the concept on their RB11, together with a positive set of aerodynamic improvements based on their Silverstone package. It is clear that Red Bull have significantly improved the chassis and closed the gap to Mercedes in the last two races, especially in terms of understanding how to manage the airflow at the front of the car. The blown axle plays a part in this, as well as helping to manage brake and tyre temperatures.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

rayden

Probably the best chassis on the grid now.

RB has still got the magic =D>

FrukostScones

rayden wrote:Probably the best chassis on the grid now.

RB has still got the magic =D>
they don't have a batwing :mrgreen: or do they now?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ME4ME

FrukostScones wrote:they don't have a batwing :mrgreen: or do they now?
Nope, they gave it away :P

hence, Red Bull gives you wings

PlatinumZealot

Newey is working at the helm again though unofficially and it shows on the track. I never trusted the fat guy (forgot his name) for keeping the high level of aero performance that Newey left.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

ME4ME

I guess you mean Rob Marshall. He has been with the team for many years now, but isn't an aero guy iirc. That would be Dan Fellows who stayed at RB rather than moving to Mclaren.

I think it's pretty unfair to blame Marshall and Fellows for the tough start this year, and credit Newey for the turnaround. Newey continues to say he is only working part-time with the F1 team. A couple outings at some GP's doesn't change that. Unless you got inside information?

wesley123

I'm not sure what turnaround people are talking about? They literally performed well in this single race, and they only finished on the podium because Mercedes screwed up.

Red Bull performed well on Monaco and logically, because of the nature of the track, they performed well in Hungary as well. There is no "turnaround", Red Bull is still as bad(relatively) as it has been all season.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ME4ME

Pace was good at both Silverstone and Hungary. Almost equal to Ferrari. Better than Toro Rosso. They weren't much better than Toro Rosso at the start of the season.