Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SiLo

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

Red Bull always seem to do a bit more with the rear wing at Monza than other teams, with the removal of all the gills and slots etc. Surely this is an easy way to shed some downforce and some drag to make the car more slippery?
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

Their front wing looks to be pretty "full on". This seems to agree with the idea that RedBull's aero philosophy is driven by the front wing to a greater extent than anyone else's is. If they've got the front wing driving the underfloor then the rear wing is almost a trimming device.

During the recent talks about increasing under floor development (so-called ground effect changes), RedBull were very keen to keep the current front wings. Everyone else was happy to simplify the front wing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

BanMeToo

Just_a_fan wrote:Their front wing looks to be pretty "full on".
What are you looking at when you say this? I mean I agree with the idea of your post however there aren't any Monza pics of RB11 front wing in this thread right now.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:Their front wing looks to be pretty "full on". This seems to agree with the idea that RedBull's aero philosophy is driven by the front wing to a greater extent than anyone else's is. If they've got the front wing driving the underfloor then the rear wing is almost a trimming device.

During the recent talks about increasing under floor development (so-called ground effect changes), RedBull were very keen to keep the current front wings. Everyone else was happy to simplify the front wing.
I see another RedBull domination when the ground effects rules come into play.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gandharva

RedBull ist pulling the McLaren "trick" this weekend. They will change the engine on Friday and on Saturday! The next engine update ist rumored to come in Sochi. But only 4 of the remaining 12 tokens!

lio007

gandharva wrote:RedBull ist pulling the McLaren "trick" this weekend. They will change the engine on Friday and on Saturday! The next engine update ist rumored to come in Sochi. But only 4 of the remaining 12 tokens!
I think the assumption by AMuS of using only 4 token is not correct. Taffin said they will use all their 12 remaining token on their upgrade, around the Russian GP:
http://en.f1i.com/news/23577-renault-co ... grade.html

gandharva

This also was my last info. But looking at the long struggle Renault had with reliability this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they need to stretch their timeline once again.

lio007

I think AMuS mentioned this 4-token-use for the first time in this article: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 10317.html

I don't know where they got this information, at least I can't remember any other F1-site ever mentioned this 4 toke upgrade.

lio007

I'm wondering if they'll also use a cascade-less FW this year as they did in 2014:

At least on todays photos I could only find the spec they used in previous races.

turbof1

I'm not entirely sure, but I have the impression that Red Bull has made a silent evolution on the upper flaps:
I'm looking through the images and it's hard to point at a grand prix "that's where they introduced this", but going back a few grand prix' you can definitely tell the Merc-alike curves in the upper flaps are much more pronounced now.
#AeroFrodo

ME4ME

Horner just confirmed on SKY (After FP3), the brand-new engine they put in Ricciardo's car this morning already broke down. They're putting in the friday engine for qualifying. :(

djos

ME4ME wrote:Horner just confirmed on SKY (After FP3), the brand-new engine they put in Ricciardo's car this morning already broke down. They're putting in the friday engine for qualifying. :(
That's really poor form from Renault! The number of dead Renault engines this season is beyond a joke!
"In downforce we trust"

ME4ME

And it gets worse..

Renault postpones new engine to Austin:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau ... -to-austin
"What we see on the dyno will be on track, for sure. Whether it's going to be a big step, or a big enough step, I don't know."
Doesn't sound too encouraging.

Juzh

Either complete incompetence or intentional sabotage. Pick which is worse.

Blackout

Unreliable test beds obviously.