Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

toraabe
toraabe

condor wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/marko ... ll-engines

This is specifically why Mercedes were correct in deciding not to supply Red Bull with their engines. Red Bull, while being a fantastically technically competent racing team, are toxic in nature largely as a result of the attitudes of Marko, Horner and to a lesser extent Newey.

Renault were a critically important complement to Red Bull's chassis' prowess in the 4 years of domination from 2010 to 2013. The combination of Newey's exhaust blown diffuser related designs together with the Renault engines off-throttle characteristics (developed specifically to suit Newey's goals) and the packaging characteristics of the engine were the reason behind that success.

Yet even during those years of winning, not only did Renault get little thanks and credit for contributing to their success, Horner actually criticised the engine's lack of power continuously. Come the turbo owner, where Renault have actually failed, they got well and truly thrown under the bus. Red Bull publicly slated Renault right from the beginning.

So what's in it for an engine manufacturer to supply Red Bull? If Red Bull wins with a Mercedes engine, then Red Bull will claim how great they are that they can beat the works team. If they don't beat Mercedes, it will be publicly claimed that they are not getting equal engines.

For Red Bull, it's always somebody elses fault. When regulations controlled the exhaust blowing Newey, Horner and Marko were claiming that innovation was being targetted. Contrast this with McLaren who accepted it when the F-duct was banned. When other teams complained about Red Bull's flexi wings, again they were being victimised because of their success.

From that article I linked above where Marko claims it would be more unpleasant for Mercedes if Red Bull beat them with another engine rather than a Mercedes engine. What that acutely highlights is the specific way Marko thinks. It's obvious why he thinks it would be more unpleasant for Mercedes. Because in Marko's mind, it would mean that Red Bull overcame an engine deficit and beat Mercedes because of Red Bull's vastly superior chassis. Marko's wish of unpleasantness on Mercedes isn't one of Red Bull showing Mercedes they could get an engine on par or superior to Mercedes but rather that they can once again show Mercedes how great Red Bull is.

But the reality is that it would not be more unpleasant for Mercedes. Supplying Red Bull would be a lose lose situation for Mercedes. Even getting Ferrari engines is, according to Marko, only a "first step to getting a competitive engine in the future" and he's already thinking about a potential change from a Ferrari engine. For Red Bull, it's not about forming partnerships for the mutual benefit of all stakeholders but rather a supplier is a mere vehicle to assist Red Bull's ambitions and to be used and discarded as they see fit, whilst all the time claiming the kudos. Red Bull is a toxic partner. They are, if you will, like the stereotypical boss from hell who claims all of his employees' success while blaming his employees for failures.

Referring to
"Yet even during those years of winning, not only did Renault get little thanks and credit for contributing to their success, Horner actually criticised the engine's lack of power continuously. Come the turbo owner, where Renault have actually failed, they got well and truly thrown under the bus. Red Bull publicly slated Renault right from the beginning."

Who wants to support a team in which you only will get negativity from ?
It is actually not a surprise that Renault has said enough is enough. And where should the motivation come from when your product is never being appreciated.
I will not be surprised if they end up even without a engine provider or 2015 engines.

djos

Red Bull RB11 Renault

Ah the revisionists at work again.

Renault-Nissan are at fault here for trying to get 2 lots of brand exposure at RedBull. If the Infiniti brand had not been introduced as a primary sponsor then Renault would not have ended up in the shadows as much of the automotive publicity focused on Infiniti as naming rights sponsor!
"In downforce we trust"

Glyn
Glyn

djos wrote:Ah the revisionists at work again.

Renault-Nissan are at fault here for trying to get 2 lots of brand exposure at RedBull. If the Infiniti brand had not been introduced as a primary sponsor then Renault would not have ended up in the shadows as much of the automotive publicity focused on Infiniti as naming rights sponsor!
I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention the name Infinity, that includes Peter Windsor the sponsor grandmaster himself

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Chene_Mostert

Running a serious amount of "reverse" rake... :roll:
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

ME4ME

I'm amazed how small those cooling inlets actually are. Must be among the smallest in area, on the grid.

bdr529

the last 2 photo's make it look like their having trouble getting the car through the door, the bald guy looks perplexed :?

Chene_Mostert

I think he just realised they just blew the Renault PU by pushing the car around on the dollies...
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

djos

Glyn wrote:
djos wrote:Ah the revisionists at work again.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention the name Infinity, that includes Peter Windsor the sponsor grandmaster himself
You didn't pay enough attention, the RedBull Infiniti technical partnership was talked up frequently.
"In downforce we trust"

Hail22

Singapore GP -

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

zioture
zioture

Hail22

Singapore GP - Friday Evening

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

henra
henra

Hail22 wrote:Singapore GP - Friday Evening

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Dan ... 897490.jpg
Wow!
Did they shrink the sidepods? Especially the left one looks much skinnier than at the beginning of the season. It almost Looks as if the left one is a bit narrower than the right one?

Shorty
Shorty

henra wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Singapore GP - Friday Evening

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Dan ... 897490.jpg
Wow!
Did they shrink the sidepods? Especially the left one looks much skinnier than at the beginning of the season. It almost Looks as if the left one is a bit narrower than the right one?
the same picture taken from the other side would lead you to the opposite guess (shrinked right sidepod)...no its just angle in my point of view