Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OO7
OO7

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

ringo

It's not an S duct. Its just a catchment for air to cool the driver.
For Sure!!

Matt Somers

ringo wrote:It's not an S duct. Its just a catchment for air to cool the driver.
+1

I went through my galleries to get a picture for all of you.. (This is from Australia, when they didn't have it taped off)

Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

PlatinumZealot

Back to the Austria new nose. Confirmed here that it looks similar to previous noses but it is lower drag:

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/19828 ... try7223531
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

Silverstone - Thursday

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dren

The rear crash structure winglets new?

Well, they were there in Austria, I just went back and looked.
Honda!

trinidefender

Solid part of the gurney flap now extends inwards slightly more than before I think.

OO7
OO7

Is that small, slanted fin at the bottom of the rear brake cascade element, a new addition?

Morteza

Silverstone - Friday

Via AMuS

Via @ScarbsF1
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SectorOne

Someone made a post a while back comparing speed traces through corners of the Merc and the STR sort of alluding the aero wasn´t really that impressive.

Some quotes came out and figured they be interesting,
"When I compare high-speed performance, if we had the [best] engine, I think we would be P2 [behind Mercedes]." -Verstappen
"We looked at the data and Turn 3 and Turn 9 in Barcelona, only Mercedes was quicker than us. -Sainz
"According to our calculations," he told Auto Motor und Sport, "we have one of the best chassis in the field. Mercedes is maybe two or three tenths ahead of us." - Horner
So all engines equalized, Mercedes according to their own competitors would still be ahead.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

turbof1

I cleaned up the last few posts. Trying to make pointless comparisons between cars is not going to make this topic move forward, especially not if we pull a back to the future move featuring the 2014 W05 car. This is the W06 topic, so any weird comments like "but the RB10 would have owned da sh*t out of everybody with a Mercedes PU" is fruitless.
#AeroFrodo

Hovepeter

SectorOne wrote:Someone made a post a while back comparing speed traces through corners of the Merc and the STR sort of alluding the aero wasn´t really that impressive.

"When I compare high-speed performance, if we had the [best] engine, I think we would be P2 [behind Mercedes]." -Verstappen
"We looked at the data and Turn 3 and Turn 9 in Barcelona, only Mercedes was quicker than us. -Sainz
"According to our calculations," he told Auto Motor und Sport, "we have one of the best chassis in the field. Mercedes is maybe two or three tenths ahead of us." - Horner
So all engines equalized, Mercedes according to their own competitors would still be ahead.
hello sector one! i really like many of your arguments, but i dont think you can draw that conclusion, because we dont know anything about these cars drag to downforce coefficient. Mercedes could have a much more agressive aero setup than STR, because they have more horsepower. If i remember things the right way, the top speed trap is often williams and ferrari wich is in top, which talks for mercedes is driving with more drag down the straight. am i totally wrong here? :)

ismail1991

Hovepeter wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Someone made a post a while back comparing speed traces through corners of the Merc and the STR sort of alluding the aero wasn´t really that impressive.

hello sector one! i really like many of your arguments, but i dont think you can draw that conclusion, because we dont know anything about these cars drag to downforce coefficient. Mercedes could have a much more agressive aero setup than STR, because they have more horsepower. If i remember things the right way, the top speed trap is often williams and ferrari wich is in top, which talks for mercedes is driving with more drag down the straight. am i totally wrong here? :)
As far as I know at silverstone, Mercedes powered cars were leading in terms of top speed. Hamilton was third and the best ferrari was 6th or 7th.

SectorOne

Hovepeter wrote:hello sector one! i really like many of your arguments, but i dont think you can draw that conclusion, because we dont know anything about these cars drag to downforce coefficient. Mercedes could have a much more agressive aero setup than STR, because they have more horsepower. If i remember things the right way, the top speed trap is often williams and ferrari wich is in top, which talks for mercedes is driving with more drag down the straight. am i totally wrong here? :)
Hey Hovepeter, well thank you but it should be pointed out i haven´t made any real conclusions, if you haven´t noticed the quotes i posted are from drivers of Toro Rosso and one from the team principal of Red Bull Racing.
Another person that said his car is right up there aero wise but behind the Mercedes was Ron Dennis.

Christian Horner doesn´t just come up with stuff while having a coffee, he´s got engineers analyzing all the competitors cars removing any differences, thinking about what you just said, removing that of the equation and come up with an answer that Horner then takes to the media.

So you have Toro Rosso, Red Bull Racing and even Mclaren all stating Mercedes would still be ahead of them even if they had the same engine (and everything that goes along with it)

Just recently Force India made a statement about Lotus saying they have under-performed.
They´ve analyzed the data and know that the Lotus is a quicker machine at this point in time.

As for Mercedes and drag, yea they probably have more drag then others, because they simply have found more downforce.
They don´t even seem to use all of it, looking at the rear wing.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Samraj_official

its extremely useless what STR guys talk " if we had merc lump we would be blah , blah , blah , blah!!!!!! stop it STR is never goin to get there!!!!"
btw W06 is evolving at a good rate ahead of the competetion even though the updates are barely noticable!!!
hungary nice and flowing.........mercedes domination guaranteed!!! :-({|=