Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Chuuurles

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

godlameroso wrote:Every comparison video I've seen of the W06 vs any other F1 car basically has them having much more grip in slow turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFyamQat_MY In this comparison you clearly see the Mercedes is just faster in everything that is slow speed.

Does this sound amazing b/c we are listening to more than 1 engine?

Silent Storm

PlatinumZealot wrote: A front suspension system that has good travel in slow speed but yet holds the front ride-height at high speed.
A rear drive and suspension system that reduces wheel spin to almost zero in the low speed turn to keep the tyres working across a broad range of conditions.

Hmm. Could very well be their secret to success?
Are they using a shock absorber/damper like the Koni FSD?

KONl added a special valve which is able to control a parallel oil flow next to the one going through the piston. This parallel oil flow is closed by the FSD feature, giving a rise in damping force almost linear to the time that the piston is moving in one direction. The FSD feature is a hydraulic amplifier that delays the build up of pressure. One could say that an extra tuning option has been created in order to get the best possible combination of handling and comfort.
One can expect the ability to ride the kerbs like in a softer setup and high speed direction change and stability like in a stiff setup. Something which Mercedes are able to do.
Same thing can be used at rear where they have good traction but don't overheat the rear tyres like you would if the setup was soft to give good traction.

On top of that it is not active so it is legal and will give them the best of both worlds, not exactly the same but similar to the dual rate anti roll bar Ferrari is/were using except that it was only for rear and this can be used for front as well as the rear suspension.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

PlatinumZealot

Well high speed turns can have high frequency oscillations too. So may it is another mechanism outside the damper that somehow "knows" the speed of the car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mrluke

Chuuurles wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Every comparison video I've seen of the W06 vs any other F1 car basically has them having much more grip in slow turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFyamQat_MY In this comparison you clearly see the Mercedes is just faster in everything that is slow speed.

Does this sound amazing b/c we are listening to more than 1 engine?
Pretty sure the audio is just from the Ferrari

gray41

Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

GrandAxe

Chuuurles wrote: Does this sound amazing b/c we are listening to more than 1 engine?
I noticed that the cars sounded distinctly better at Silverstone (more of a higher pitched purr instead of huffing and puffing turbo's) but because Silverstone is a high speed circuit, I put it down as a one off due to higher revs.
It was particularly noticeable with the Mercs. Could their ability to defeat all Ferrari upgrades be that they've found a way to achieve higher revs?

blackax

GrandAxe wrote:
Chuuurles wrote: Does this sound amazing b/c we are listening to more than 1 engine?
I noticed that the cars sounded distinctly better at Silverstone (more of a higher pitched purr instead of huffing and puffing turbo's) but because Silverstone is a high speed circuit, I put it down as a one off due to higher revs.
It was particularly noticeable with the Mercs. Could their ability to defeat all Ferrari upgrades be that they've found a way to achieve higher revs?

It has been talked about many times that this era of turbo motors are fuel limited not rev limited. They have no problem reving the power units to 15K but with the limited fuel allowed (100kg/hour) you don't gain any more power.

Juzh

GrandAxe wrote: Could their ability to defeat all Ferrari upgrades be that they've found a way to achieve higher revs?
No.

Morteza

Interesting monkey seat

Via @AlbertFabrega
Last edited by Morteza on 23 Jul 2015, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Silent Storm

SectorOne

closer look, wonder why they don´t run with "the monster"

Last edited by SectorOne on 24 Jul 2015, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Just_a_fan

Maybe they don't need the bigger version - perhaps they've found the equivalent downforce elsewhere. The Monkey seat is an inefficient beast so perhaps they've found a better way.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sevach

It's very curious given that the W05 ran with the "Gorilla Seat" pretty much everywhere.

Silent Storm

Even though everyone runs max downforce here frontal grip is vital at the Hungaroring. You need a strong front end for turn 4, 8, 9, 13 and 14. IMO you need good rear stability only for turn 11.

That's what Mercedes went for they are using the smaller monkey seat just for that rear stability but the focus is on having less understeer as possible.

NewtonMeter

One should remember that the monkey seat isn't used directly for downforce. Rather it's used to keep the flow to the rear wing attached. So they must have found another means to achieve it. At least for the aerodynamic requirements of this circuit.

(That's my understanding of it, anyway)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...