Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jordan44

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

dans79 wrote:So what does everyone think is wrong with the car?

Both cars have gotten poor starts in 2 consecutive races now, and that's 2 much of a coincidence.
Well, could it be that they've tried to do manual starts before anyone else? The rule change was announced at Silverstone on Friday and then from Sunday onwards they have gone from being the best starters to the worst. And we saw Nico's rather strange stall in practise on Friday when he was trying out of a start. But if they have, then both the team, Lewis and Nico are doing a good job to hide it.

Morteza

Mercedes F1 W06 Hybrid - high-downforce monkey seat

© Giorgio Piola

Formula1.com wrote:Mercedes tested a new monkey seat (main drawing) on Friday in Hungary, its design clearly aimed at the high-downforce requirements of the Hungaroring. However, the team opted not to use it for qualifying and the race. In the inset drawing you can see the version they used for the race. The monkey seat is designed to increase rear downforce, so in deciding not to race the revised design, it seems the team felt that they had enough downforce already. The Mercedes is still the class-leading car on the aerodynamic side, as well as on the engine side.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PhillipM

Doesn't really seem to make much sense that, unless it's the translation issues.

McMrocks

J0rd4n wrote:
dans79 wrote:So what does everyone think is wrong with the car?

Both cars have gotten poor starts in 2 consecutive races now, and that's 2 much of a coincidence.
Well, could it be that they've tried to do manual starts before anyone else? The rule change was announced at Silverstone on Friday and then from Sunday onwards they have gone from being the best starters to the worst. And we saw Nico's rather strange stall in practise on Friday when he was trying out of a start. But if they have, then both the team, Lewis and Nico are doing a good job to hide it.
I don't think they have tried "manual starts" in the UK and Hungarian race. Why should they risk loosing points. They aren't the charity

JDC123

Mercedes F1 W06 Hybrid - high-downforce monkey seat
Possibly the most low-downforce configuration of a monkey seat you could possibly run with! Who actually writes the tech analysis for the F1 website, is it Gary Anderson as I believe he now works for the FOM since last season?

ringo

Both clutches have overheated due to the additional formation lap because of Massa's poor positioning on the grid.
This Car seems to be very sensitive to temperature. It's not good at following in traffic, and it's also has issues with tyre temperatures whenever the car moves off, or right after a safety car restart.
They may need to open up the car a bit, both the brake ducts and also the engine cover. It's noticeably more compact than the other Mercedes powered cars.
For Sure!!

Matt Somers

Some of the clutch protocols were changed, affecting Austria & Silverstone but the event notes reverted back to normal for Hungary, allowing drivers to do practice starts at the end of the pitlane. I'd assumed that the changes in Austria/Silverstone had, had a detrimental effect on Mercedes and resulted in their poor starts. Hungary must be down to the additional formation lap changing the bite point far beyond the original BPF, (I need to check the replay back to see if Nico did what he did off the grid in Silverstone, which was to do another BPF before the lights dropped..)

I suspect the whole reason that everyone was up for these changes is that Merc had found the optimal way of launching the cars from the BPF's, leaving them a little at sea since Charlie made the protocol changes in Austria.
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

SiLo

Matt Somers wrote:Some of the clutch protocols were changed, affecting Austria & Silverstone but the event notes reverted back to normal for Hungary, allowing drivers to do practice starts at the end of the pitlane. I'd assumed that the changes in Austria/Silverstone had, had a detrimental effect on Mercedes and resulted in their poor starts. Hungary must be down to the additional formation lap changing the bite point far beyond the original BPF, (I need to check the replay back to see if Nico did what he did off the grid in Silverstone, which was to do another BPF before the lights dropped..)

I suspect the whole reason that everyone was up for these changes is that Merc had found the optimal way of launching the cars from the BPF's, leaving them a little at sea since Charlie made the protocol changes in Austria.
If you look at the starts, relative to the entire field the starts weren't that bad. It's just that the two cars behind them had incredible starts (relative to the field). Could just be one of those things.
Felipe Baby!

timbo

Interesting rear wheel detail

Xwang

What are those holes?

Mark4211

Xwang wrote:What are those holes?
I believe it is to cool the tyres.
If I'm not wrong, it was introduced in 2013 (yearend?) to improve Mercedes' tyre life as their 2013 car were literally melting the rear tyres/running at very high temperatures.

scarbs

Hollow wheel spokes, lighter/stiffer

Xwang

So the volume of air in mercedes tyres is greater with respect to other cars.
In such a case, is there any advantage from the tyre performance point of view?

timbo

scarbs wrote:
Hollow wheel spokes, lighter/stiffer
Can this be used to manage tyre temperature too? The spokes should be right in the hot air stream from rotor's ventilation.

PlatinumZealot

Hydro-formed wheel spokes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏