Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall II

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

NoDivergence wrote:...the AOA at the ends of the flap will be at very very low when DRS is enabled
Yes, and the middle of the flap will still have an appreciable AoA when DRS is engaged, which is not the case for a flap with a uniform chord.

Remember, the question is one of comparison to "normal" flaps.

NoDivergence

You'll just have to look at the photos. That sucker is wide open. Beautiful.

SectorOne

NoDivergence wrote:You'll just have to look at the photos. That sucker is wide open. Beautiful.
post the damn pictures then! :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

Interesting comments from Toto saying the "aggressive engine mode" has a maximum amount of kilometers it can be used on the engines lifetime.

Also saying one of the engines has only 2 laps left of this aggressive mode, he did not mention which of the drivers has this particular powerunit.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Morteza

Mercedes F1 W06 Hybrid - Spa-Francorchamps rear wing

© Giorgio Piola

Formula1.com wrote:Mercedes have introduced a totally new rear wing for 2015’s Belgian round, the first time the team have used such a spoon-shaped design on both main and flap profiles. This kind of solution was first seen on the McLaren MP4-21 in 2006 and then used by the Woking team the following year. After that, spoon-shaped rear wings were regularly used at fast tracks by Williams , BAR Honda and Sauber. Mercedes obviously have a lot of confidence in their new design, as in practice at Spa they did not trouble with a back-to-back test against their ‘normal’ low-downforce rear wing - as seen in Canada - and Both Hamilton and Rosberg raced this solution.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

OO7
OO7

SectorOne wrote:Interesting comments from Toto saying the "aggressive engine mode" has a maximum amount of kilometers it can be used on the engines lifetime.

Also saying one of the engines has only 2 laps left of this aggressive mode, he did not mention which of the drivers has this particular powerunit.
I think they'll both have new engines for Monza.

dans79

Blaze1 wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Interesting comments from Toto saying the "aggressive engine mode" has a maximum amount of kilometers it can be used on the engines lifetime.

I would hope so as well, they are over half way through the season and are still using the second set of PU components.
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

Blaze1 wrote:

Yea makes sense as they "only" need to do 4 races with each of the remaining engines.

When did they make the first switch? Canada? Can´t remember.

Moose

SectorOne wrote:
Blaze1 wrote:

Yea makes sense as they "only" need to do 4 races with each of the remaining engines.

When did they make the first switch? Canada? Can´t remember.
Yep, Canada. I would expect to see engine 3 next race too, and engine 4 at CoTA or Mexico (Both Russia and Singapore are relatively easy on the engine, so it may be that they leave it one race later to have a strong one for Abu Dhabi).

The other thing I have been pondering is that Merc's engine is so strong that it may be possible to do the season on 3 engines and then put a 4th one in somehow right at the very end of the Abu Dhabi race weekend. That would allow them to use up their last remaining tokens for 2015 purely on changes for 2016. They could fit an engine that works very poorly, but has some major changes, that together with other major changes (in the 2016 token pool) work very well.

dans79

Moose wrote: The other thing I have been pondering is that Merc's engine is so strong that it may be possible to do the season on 3 engines and then put a 4th one in somehow right at the very end of the Abu Dhabi race weekend. That would allow them to use up their last remaining tokens for 2015 purely on changes for 2016. They could fit an engine that works very poorly, but has some major changes, that together with other major changes (in the 2016 token pool) work very well.
Toto kind of hinted at this earlier in the season.
197 104 103 7

tranquility2k4

I assume Merc will bring their new engine (that uses tokens) to Monza? I saw Niki Lauda say that Ferrari will have a new engine that uses tokens in Monza.

Chuckjr

I posted this a page ago but my post was poorly formatted (could not directly see the link here at f1T). I intended to ask a question since I was shocked at the zero movement from the pushrod of the Merc under hard braking at the end of Kemmel. Maybe the lack of movement is what Lewis was wanting and maybe why his braking issue has lessened this year and thus his distancing from Nico? Dunno.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Tn4ANkn_Oq0[/youtube]

Regardless, can anyone elucidate how this hard as rock anti-dive is accomplished while the pushrod is immediately moving again the moment a corner is engaged even if the driver is still braking? How is this accomplished passively? Is it simply anti-dive geometry, or are passive hydraulics involved? I'm sorry if this is a rudimentary question. I just was taken by the lack of any movement whatsoever despite the very hard braking.
Watching F1 since 1986.

n_anirudh

Morteza wrote:Mercedes F1 W06 Hybrid - Spa-Francorchamps rear wing

http://i.imgur.com/z3Mgg7C.jpg
© Giorgio Piola

Formula1.com wrote:Mercedes have introduced a totally new rear wing for 2015’s Belgian round, the first time the team have used such a spoon-shaped design on both main and flap profiles. This kind of solution was first seen on the McLaren MP4-21 in 2006 and then used by the Woking team the following year. After that, spoon-shaped rear wings were regularly used at fast tracks by Williams , BAR Honda and Sauber. Mercedes obviously have a lot of confidence in their new design, as in practice at Spa they did not trouble with a back-to-back test against their ‘normal’ low-downforce rear wing - as seen in Canada - and Both Hamilton and Rosberg raced this solution.
A similar variation is seen earlier in Bar Honda 2005 - US GP @ Indianapolis- another high speed track.

OO7
OO7

n_anirudh wrote:
Morteza wrote:Mercedes F1 W06 Hybrid - Spa-Francorchamps rear wing

http://i.imgur.com/z3Mgg7C.jpg
© Giorgio Piola

A similar variation is seen earlier in Bar Honda 2005 - US GP @ Indianapolis- another high speed track.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... P_2005.jpg
The reputed Monza spec rear wing (Mercedes) that was run very briefly during FP1, looks very similar to that BAR wing.