Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

PlatinumZealot wrote:Sure the other teams have spied on theese details long ago. Even an oblique shot of the floor should be enough to see what is going on underneath.
We deduced ourselves a while ago through multiple pictures how the underbody of the front wing looked like. We generally got that correct, although I did not know Mercedes uses a flat part to the middle strake.

However, the floor is usually much better protected from prying eyes. I don't want to sound naรฏve, but I genuinly think they make a decent effort to keep this kind of visual data information away from the competition.

Just saying, even with reconstruction from several pictures you can still miss out on details, and these are crucial.
#AeroFrodo

wesley123
wesley123

The thing about such pictures is that they don't really show depth, which makes a 2D view pretty good, but you can't conclude the actual position of important details from it. That's what makes this image such a big "scoop"
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

shady
shady

Apologies, I mistook a part of the floor that was further back.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

There aren't really any big secrets in this area any more, most of what you see is visible from behind the car anyway. It's not like the days of the double diffuser or the exhaust blown diffuser where there were all kinds of secrets. Red Bull don't bother hiding the back of their car any more like they used to.

Hail22

Russian GP - Friday

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Hail22

Russian GP - Qualifying

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Piola says Merc modified their diffuser for Sochi

Analysis can be found Here

Merc has also modified their T-tray in Sochi

Analysis

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Phenomenal car =D> Congrats to Merc WCC 2015! Hard to imagine they could produce a better car than the W05, but they did it, and straight out of the box too!

proteus

Please dont jump on me too hard for this, but since they have some problems with pedal springs, would it be reasonable to use magnets (in a piston cartridge) with same polarity instead of springs at the pedals, or would they interfere with electronics too much?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Moose
Moose

proteus wrote:Please dont jump on me too hard for this, but since they have some problems with pedal springs, would it be reasonable to use magnets (in a piston cartridge) with same polarity instead of springs at the pedals, or would they interfere with electronics too much?
What makes you think that setup would be more reliable than the spring setup? Which failure mode of the spring do you think can't happen with the magnets?

Note, also, the magnets would be much harder to tweak. With springs, you can play all kinds of tricks with coil spacing and materials to get the spring rate just right. With magnets you have far less leeway.

proteus

Moose wrote:
proteus wrote:Please dont jump on me too hard for this, but since they have some problems with pedal springs, would it be reasonable to use magnets (in a piston cartridge) with same polarity instead of springs at the pedals, or would they interfere with electronics too much?
What makes you think that setup would be more reliable than the spring setup? Which failure mode of the spring do you think can't happen with the magnets?

Note, also, the magnets would be much harder to tweak. With springs, you can play all kinds of tricks with coil spacing and materials to get the spring rate just right. With magnets you have far less leeway.
Nice and constructive answer, and thank u for it. I only considered the magnets due to not having a physical contact, which means there would be no wear of the component which takes care of elevated position of the pedal (in this case spring). And i agree that with magnets settings are much harder to achieve. But as we could see, sometimes unbelievable cheap and simple parts can bring down the whole car. Spring is volnureable by stressing it (like practically everything is), while the magnet has its polaritiy for centuries or even permanent.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

proteus wrote:Nice and constructive answer, and thank u for it. I only considered the magnets due to not having a physical contact, which means there would be no wear of the component which takes care of elevated position of the pedal (in this case spring). And i agree that with magnets settings are much harder to achieve. But as we could see, sometimes unbelievable cheap and simple parts can bring down the whole car. Spring is volnureable by stressing it (like practically everything is), while the magnet has its polaritiy for centuries or even permanent.
Well, it is such a rare failure I think they can live with the simpler solution with its few drawbacks over a more complex, probably heavier and less ideal solution with even more drawbacks. But, decent question and answer and a nice break from Nico vs. Lewis and so on.

PlatinumZealot

Yep. They can simply change the throttle springs (or the entire Drive by wire servos) at shorter intervals now.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

hollus

Apologies if this had been posted before:

Wheel hub blankets and brake heaters used before fitting the tires.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech- ... yre-boost/
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

They have to cover the whole thing to block the vents. Not necessarily heating the hub, mostly the brake disk.

The brake disk is the only thing there with a high heat capacity. Everything else like the cake tin, the metal hub, the caliper all lose heat pretty quickly so the only hop is to heat the brake disk which will hold temp for much longer.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™