Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

2015 Winter testing | Session 1, Day 1 - Jerez de la Frontera, Spain (01.02.2015)

Last edited by stefan_ on 01 Feb 2015, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

And we are open!
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

http://i.imgur.com/2YTMNHo.jpg

They changed the strake on the outside of the endplate, last year it bent downwards, whereas now it bends slightly upwards:

#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

The sound it makes now is so different from last year... they must have gone back to a traditional exhaust layout?
Anybody got any ideas?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Just_a_fan

Blackout wrote:Air filter (placed higher?)
http://www.servimg.com/view/14795526/1718
Interesting. I assumed that this inlet fed air to the intercooler in the back of the tub. That air filter suggests otheriwse, unless they also use this inlet to feed air to the face of the compressor too. The top inlet presumably being ducted back to cool the turbine area.

It's interesting to see that Mercedes haven't taken air from the area immediately below the roll hoop zone. Air which is blocked partially by the driver's helmet c.f. the RedBull in this area.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Interesting to see the left hand radiator appears to be partially blanked off - there is a black panel in there. Unless they don't need to have the whole area as radiator and this is packaging of some other component. We'll need to see the bodywork off to get a better idea.

I see they have the under-chassis turning vanes and the bat wing from last year. I think these are hugely effective devices. The turning vanes will create a low pressure zone below the chassis which will both create downforce but alsopull air off the front wing. I'd bet this makes the neutral centre wing section work as a wing and create downforce even though the original intention was that it shouldn't do so. The bat wing is obviously designed to create a powerful vortex off which is directed down on to the t-tray, presumably channelled by the t-tray and barge boards to the underside of the leading edge of the sidepod floor. If so, that will be another powerful downforce producer.

These sort of items are rarely discussed because they're quite often tucked away out of sight but I think they're the clever bits in the design. The wings are obvious and talked about a lot. These bits less so.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Helios

Stunning car when in action...

MadMatt

The car looks fantastic, it was good last year, but even better looking this year, finally a front end that does look good!

lombers

SectorOne wrote: The sound it makes now is so different from last year... they must have gone back to a traditional exhaust layout?
Anybody got any ideas?
Not sure about exhaust layout but I think it was mentioned on the autosport live testing thread that Mercedes are still running last year's engine, and they will evaluate what tokens to use after this test.

Obviously they have some ideas already, but with such a solid advantage it makes perfect sense.

Jordan44

lombers wrote:
SectorOne wrote: The sound it makes now is so different from last year... they must have gone back to a traditional exhaust layout?
Anybody got any ideas?
Not sure about exhaust layout but I think it was mentioned on the autosport live testing thread that Mercedes are still running last year's engine, and they will evaluate what tokens to use after this test.

Obviously they have some ideas already, but with such a solid advantage it makes perfect sense.
I'm pretty sure this is the new engine. I think they came out after the rumours and said that Williams and Mercedes will get the B spec power unit in Jerez.

kooleracer

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 42170.html

Teams with long noses are in the same predicament as Mercedes last year, they are trying to past the crash test with a Mercedes like nose but have so far failed. But according to Rob Smedley the short nose is the way to go.

Article is from AMuS in German use google or bing translate.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Thunder

@J0rd4n: Andy Cowell already stated that they are using the new engine today. So i don't get why there is even a discussion about that. They evaluate which new Parts they will use in these Tests but they are definitely not running the 2014 Engine.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

stefan_

2015 Winter testing | Session 1, Day 1 - Jerez de la Frontera, Spain (01.02.2015)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Thunders wrote:@J0rd4n: Andy Cowell already stated that they are using the new engine today. So i don't get why there is even a discussion about that. They evaluate which new Parts they will use in these Tests but they are definitely not running the 2014 Engine.
Probably the disbelief of how reliable it runs.

It's omnious to see when the car runs this good with last year's old aero packaging. They are bound to bring updates to the bodywork in the follow up tests.
#AeroFrodo

kooleracer

Already doing some Aero work!
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."