Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mesteño

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

TRICKLE69 wrote:
Mesteño wrote:
TRICKLE69 wrote:How does their nose start soo far back? All the other teams have the tip of the nose past the front of the leading edge of the wing. The Red Bull is not quite to the edge but the rest are way out ahead of the wing...
Because they didn't manage to pass the crash tests, according to AMuS Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren will change their nose as soon as they develop one that passes crash tests.
Thank you for the info. Do you have a link to the info I would like to learn more about. Thanks!

According to twitter, it is here:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 42170.html

Sevach
Sevach

dren

The new batwing looks really aggressive. Simple updates, but overall a very developed look already. They must have a really good hand on their CF laying techniques to have a short nose and a roll hoop with a little support.
Honda!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

batwing? sounds awesome, and i'm sure i've missed something, but - is that in regards to the front wing? and why is it then called batwing?
Last edited by Manoah2u on 01 Feb 2015, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Shakeman

dren wrote:The new batwing looks really aggressive.
Trying to understand so can you explain why it is aggressive?

Cheers.

dren

Shakeman wrote:
dren wrote:The new batwing looks really aggressive.
Trying to understand so can you explain why it is aggressive?

Cheers.
The wing profile/curvature looks to be more aggressive than last year's version. Greater pressure gradient, stronger vortices. But I could be wrong, just looks that way.
Honda!

dren

Manoah2u wrote:batwing? sounds awesome, and i'm sure i've missed something, but - is that in regards to the front wing? and why is it then called batwing?
It's the bat looking wing under the nose just behind the under nose turning vanes.
Honda!

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dren

Good comparison. The W04 version looks to have a standard profile all the way across (same cross section). The 2015 version looks to start flat and then begin its curve as it moves out toward the tips. Hard to tell but the angle of attack looks to be greater on the 2015 wing, too. Just a guess, but the way the new one is shaped still creates the vortices but has less overall lift compared to the 2014 version.
Honda!

Shakeman

Thanks FrukostScones.

TBH, I'm not seeing too much difference. You'd expect a change given the amount of air in that area has changed due to the new noses. With these complex 3D shapes the angle can make these shapes look very different, does it look lower to the ground this year too?

It's certainly an area to keep an eye on.

I'd love to know what the purpose of the vortices are that it generates.

dren

Shakeman wrote:Thanks FrukostScones.

TBH, I'm not seeing too much difference. You'd expect a change given the amount of air in that area has changed due to the new noses. With these complex 3D shapes the angle can make these shapes look very different, does it look lower to the ground this year too?

Yeah, I can't tell if they are going under the floor to help seal along the step plane or if they are going along the sidepod undercut.
Honda!

Shakeman

dren wrote:
Shakeman wrote:Thanks FrukostScones.

Yeah, I can't tell if they are going under the floor to help seal along the step plane or if they are going along the sidepod undercut.
We might have to wait for a rainy practice/race to get a glimpse.

Shrieker

I'd wager along the sidepod undercut :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

tony77g
tony77g

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Is the merc a shorter wheelbase than a lot of the others? Do we have a 2015 car comparison thread yet?