Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

scarbs wrote:Paddy Lowe told me there's only a few small bits and pieces coming for Sepang
Any chance one of those could be a new front wing? AMuS reported a few weeks ago that Merc would have new FW at Melbourne, which didn't come. I can only presume that either they're holding it back, as they have such a big performance advantage already, or possibly they want to refine it further and bring the next iteration in a few races time, to save cost and resources. The other possibility may be that they are trying to get a new nose through a crash test and the new FW goes with the new nose.

OO7
OO7

scarbs wrote:Paddy Lowe told me there's only a few small bits and pieces coming for Sepang
scarbs, do you know why Mercedes did not run a monkey seat in Australia. Not enough front down force to compensate!?

zioture
zioture

SectorOne wrote:http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... medium.jpg
Mercedes have made a change to the underneath of their nose section, which now has a ‘fat’ section (see arrow) on its underside that acts as an airflow passage. Mercedes have been able to make this alteration without having to homologate a new nose - the design is a cover of the original nose, meaning new crash tests were not required. The new section is fully integrated with the chassis.
http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... -nose.html
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... &start=630
I had posted this Image

ringo

scarbs wrote:There's no inlet, that opening is sealed by a panel attached to the bulkhead, leaving a smooth continuous under surface
Scarbs i think Sauber has lead on that development. I was wondering why their nose had that "turkey gobble" under it instead of a surface tapering up to allow more airflow under the car. It seems Sauber may be getting some kind of ground effect from that low hanging bit.
For Sure!!

SectorOne

scarbs wrote:There's no inlet, that opening is sealed by a panel attached to the bulkhead, leaving a smooth continuous under surface
Thanks, i was thinking "i haven´t seen this hole anywhere on the car" so thank you for clearing that up.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Gaz.
Gaz.

Is the engine the same as the 2014 spec engine or has it been modified under the token system? Various reports have said Mercedes have used 30 tokens or so but I didn't know if those tokens were for an engine sitting on a bench in Brixworth or for the actual race engines in Melbourne? (if I'm being clear???)
Forza Jules

Moose
Moose

Gaz. wrote:Is the engine the same as the 2014 spec engine or has it been modified under the token system? Various reports have said Mercedes have used 30 tokens or so but I didn't know if those tokens were for an engine sitting on a bench in Brixworth or for the actual race engines in Melbourne? (if I'm being clear???)
Mercedes have 7 tokens remaining.

Jolle
Jolle

If the car would be completely revised, wouldn't paddy still say: "only a few bits and pieces"?

SiLo

Jolle wrote:
If the car would be completely revised, wouldn't paddy still say: "only a few bits and pieces"?
That's his standard response to a question like that. We could see an entirely new car with 4 front wheels and he'd say the same thing.
Felipe Baby!

F1Sidecar
F1Sidecar

Does anyone know the answer in respect of the engine? Is the current engine a 2014 spec engine or is it the new version after the tokens? I have seen it reported both that the modification can be carried out through the year and added to the engine race by race and also that it has to be done in one go for the 2015 homologation.

All very confusing.....

Moose
Moose

F1Sidecar wrote:Does anyone know the answer in respect of the engine? Is the current engine a 2014 spec engine or is it the new version after the tokens? I have seen it reported both that the modification can be carried out through the year and added to the engine race by race and also that it has to be done in one go for the 2015 homologation.

All very confusing.....
Again, it is a 2015 model, they homologated a new engine, that means they have to use it now. They have 7 tokens left for future homologated engines.

PlatinumZealot

Moose wrote:
F1Sidecar wrote:Does anyone know the answer in respect of the engine? Is the current engine a 2014 spec engine or is it the new version after the tokens? I have seen it reported both that the modification can be carried out through the year and added to the engine race by race and also that it has to be done in one go for the 2015 homologation.

All very confusing.....
Again, it is a 2015 model, they homologated a new engine, that means they have to use it now. They have 7 tokens left for future homologated engines.
For the year at least...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

HairyOne
HairyOne

Moose wrote:

All very confusing.....
I thought there was no homologation date, per se, just an amount of token they could use, therefore they can change the car over the season using the other tokens left? I thought that was the whole point of Ferrari's argument?

turbof1

There is no homologating date, but a homologating period. During this period they can homologate as much as they want. A specific date would imply only one homologation is possible.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

In other words any engine upgrades you qualify with cannot be recalled and switched out. The tokens cannot be reverted once you have raced them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏