Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

PlatinumZealot wrote:In other words any engine upgrades you qualify with cannot be recalled and switched out. The tokens cannot be reverted once you have raced them.
You don't even need to race them. My understanding that is turning the engine on is enough to lock them in.

However, if you for instance used a on older allocation of the pu earlier in the year and want to use that one again later on, you are allowed to do so, even if the tokens aren't applied on that allocation.
#AeroFrodo

SiLo

turbof1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:In other words any engine upgrades you qualify with cannot be recalled and switched out. The tokens cannot be reverted once you have raced them.
You don't even need to race them. My understanding that is turning the engine on is enough to lock them in.

However, if you for instance used a on older allocation of the pu earlier in the year and want to use that one again later on, you are allowed to do so, even if the tokens aren't applied on that allocation.
So you could have one engine that is older but maybe a bit smoother than the rest, and use it at certain races where this might be an advantage?
Felipe Baby!

Moose

SiLo wrote:
turbof1 wrote:

So you could have one engine that is older but maybe a bit smoother than the rest, and use it at certain races where this might be an advantage?
The teams don't typically use their engines up one after another. Instead they look at the race schedule, and how much stress the engines will be under at each race. They then try to allocate engines to races in a way that evens wear across the engines, so the engine that does Monza might do Monaco as well so as to reduce the stress.

De Jokke

Any of you expecting cooling problems in Malaysia, as they haven't really had the chance to mimick them during testing.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

SiLo

Not for Merc. Or Ferrari for that matter. Not sure about Renault of Honda though.
Felipe Baby!

Gaz.

SiLo wrote:Not for Merc. Or Ferrari for that matter. Not sure about Renault of Honda though.
I'd say Honda having temp problems would be an absolute certainty, they struggled with cooling of various components at all three winter tests when the temperature was 7-12C and if I remember rightly the mercury barely breached 18C in Melbourne.

The ten day forecast for Malaysia is 35/34/34C with storms on each afternoon.
Forza Jules

SectorOne

@AlbertFabrega
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Morteza

Malaysian GP - Thursday

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Mattchu

I see the cooling outlets on the top of the sidepods have reappeared (pretty sure iv`e not seen them before this year). Are these for helping to cool the energy recovery system battery and associated electronics?
Mercedes must have a formula of some sort whereby if the suspected temperature is above a certain degress then extra cooling is added just to be on the safe side...

I`m still mesmerized when looking at certain shots of that front wing!

eyalynf1

Shouldn't the name of this thread be "Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Hybrid"?

NoDivergence

Any non-cooling related updates for Malaysia?

Sevach

Last edited by Sevach on 27 Mar 2015, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

De Jokke

Turned out to be a power unit inlet problem. Lauda isn't worried and it can be fixed for the coming races.

But what about this weekend...

BTW extra engine!: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118232

I'm a bit worried about the reliability folks (Hamilton today), aren't you guys?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Sniffit

I noticed that Hamilton and Rosberg have different "windshields" Rosbergs is some kind of jagged edge while Hamiltons is more conservative. Is it down to driver preference or does it affect aero in a significant way depending on helmet etc etc.