Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dans79

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Does the Merc still have the carbon fiber transmission housing? If so, I wonder if they will adjust the suspension geometry, so they are easier on the tires, come Spain.
197 104 103 7

Sevach

Rear "cutouts" from above

Cocles

dans79 wrote:Does the Merc still have the carbon fiber transmission housing? If so, I wonder if they will adjust the suspension geometry, so they are easier on the tires, come Spain.
As far as I know, yes. I think Ted Kravitz actually showed a photo of it at testing, during one of his notebooks.

Thunder

This is from Bahrain, any Ideas what the Red Thing is? Is it to Protect the RW Support while the Car is assembled or did they Laminate some Carbon on the Support, maybe for a Monkey Seat as the cutout would suggest?

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

astracrazy

hmm bit strange. Looks to me like they have either had to repair something or add/remove something. Maybe they had to cut out a bit of the support (hence the shape)

The rear wing can be completely dismantled so I can't imagine it would be for travel and even so i would think the protection would come from the case its put in not from something attached to it
Last edited by astracrazy on 16 Apr 2015, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Sonic

If you look at the upper part, there's a cable. Maybe it's a support for a sensor on the upper wings ?

astracrazy

Sonic wrote:If you look at the upper part, there's a cable. Maybe it's a support for a sensor on the upper wings ?
that's not a cable its part of the wing

Sonic

Sorry ! :D

Sonic

Repair (stick a broken piece or add a new piece) ? Probably.

aleks_ader

Sonic wrote:Repair (stick a broken piece or add a new piece) ? Probably.
Probably yes. Remember they had "monkey seat" failure (broke off) already in Barcelona preseason test.

EDIT 1: Look they added bigger bulge part near "monkey" seat pelican support attachment point.
Could we see last years "monkey throne" again. If i remember well on W06 i dont see that last years feature very often until this season.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Sonic

You're probably right. It's the best option.

AnthonyG

Perhaps that red thing is just a strut so that they can remove the rear wing sideplates.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

dans79

I was thinking it was just an alignment/support jig till the entire wing was assembled!
197 104 103 7

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle

aleks_ader wrote:
Sonic wrote:Repair (stick a broken piece or add a new piece) ? Probably.
Probably yes. Remember they had "monkey seat" failure (broke off) already in Barcelona preseason test.

EDIT 1: Look they added bigger bulge part near "monkey" seat pelican support attachment point.
Could we see last years "monkey throne" again. If i remember well on W06 i dont see that last years feature very often until this season.
Clearly this is for transport and/or assembly. Because the cars were not send back to the factory between GP's, the car is only partly torn apart for transport. Also, prob as you work on the car, it's just to easy to bump into the central support, damaging or chipping it. That's also why it's in "remove before flight" red.

If it was a repair job, it would be Merc unworthy and would make no sense to do it on the car like this, it should be done in the oven (and taken apart).