Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

bhall II wrote:Oddly enough, I think they probably moved away from the "blade" design for the same reason they're now testing a new engine cover, except the focus then was on the Coke-bottle instead of the airbox: higher vertical packaging in exchange for thinner horizontal packaging.

http://i.imgur.com/Qd1ZEhs.jpg
Exactly that Bhall. As I said, it's a game of compromises, finding the optimum point.
#AeroFrodo

trinidefender
trinidefender

JDC123 wrote:
It would be a major repackage for only a small gain though. The role hoop mercedes used in 2010 didn't really work that great
The blade roll hoop? That's a different story altogether.

Unfortunaly, these days you need to do big things to have small gains.
You know the blade roll hoop didn't work that well how? I was under the impression that it worked quite well but the FIA banned them on safety grounds. The fear was that they might dig into the ground if the car rolled over.
I have no information on this but considering mercedes reverted back to a conventional roll hope in 2011 even though the blade was still legal and they had spent vast resources on it in 2010 to bring a new chassis would suggest to me it didn't work as intended. Why else would you then spent time and resources reverting back within a year?
It was technically still legal but they changed the rules so that it had to be fatter which resulted in a more rounded appearance. From my understanding this change in the rules simply nulled the advantages the original blade design exhibited.

OO7
OO7

bhall II wrote:I think it looks like they're trying to tighten up the bodywork around the airbox by filling previously unused space with ducts/cooling.

http://i.imgur.com/ohzpp7L.jpg

Higher vertical packaging, so to speak, should enable thinner horizontal packaging, which will make the rear wing more efficient.
From what I have seen and in comparison to last years configuration, the 'fattening' of the W06 engine cover was necessitated by the introduction of the variable inlet system. The cooling system didn't compromise the width of the engine cover. I can only surmise that with this modified design, Mercedes may be contemplating an enlarge cooling system for the gearbox/oil/ERS, maybe for the hotter races/races where heat rejection is more critical, other they are working on expanding the performance of their ERS.

I think the expansion of the rear part of the engine cover has cast the illusion that the region immediately behind the drivers head and around the variable inlet system has been tightened.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

bhall II
bhall II

Blaze1 wrote:[...]

I think the expansion of the rear part of the engine cover has cast the illusion that the region immediately behind the drivers head and around the variable inlet system has been tightened.
So, it would seem.

Well, I guess this means the season has now officially started for me, as things don't really get going until you've been fooled by a shadow, glare, or other optical illusion. It's an annual rite of passage.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Did Mercedes reintroduce the "ear" air inlets either side of the roll hoop at the test?

I wonder if they've added some cooling for the BBW system following both cars' issues in Bahrain.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dren

Just_a_fan wrote:Did Mercedes reintroduce the "ear" air inlets either side of the roll hoop at the test?

I wonder if they've added some cooling for the BBW system following both cars' issues in Bahrain.
1st time I've seen it, too.
Honda!

OO7
OO7

bhall II wrote:Well, I guess this means the season has now officially started for me, as things don't really get going until you've been fooled by a shadow, glare, or other optical illusion. It's an annual rite of passage.
Not unless you've witnessed McLaren's 'transparent' bodywork at some stage.

OO7
OO7

Just_a_fan wrote:Did Mercedes reintroduce the "ear" air inlets either side of the roll hoop at the test?

Yes, it was only run on the first day of the test.

lio007

Monaco, Wednesday by AMuS:

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Is this the first time Mercedes have run the large monkey seat since it fell off in testing and has it changed at all in design apart from being attached to a single strut.

mantikos
mantikos

tranquility2k4 wrote:Is this the first time Mercedes have run the large monkey seat since it fell off in testing and has it changed at all in design apart from being attached to a single strut.
Design has changed a little - look at the front of it and then the back of it. Its got 4 surfaces on the bottom half now and the same 2 on top.

Ferraripilot

I seem to remember in testing a rumor that MB was working on a more secure method to hold this blown monkey seat as W06 holds it with one pylon whereas W05 used two pylons. What's interesting is W05 ran the blown monkey seat at very nearly all races last season where this is the first time we've seen it on W06, and I can't imagine it took them that long to deduce a more secure fixation method, so there must be another reason. Granted downforce in this particular area is lauded to be a dirty area for cheap downforce which makes it ideal for Monaco, but one can't help but wonder the collective wisdom in altering the paradigm for W06 compared to W05.

If I had to guess, I would say it was a driver request to make the front end sharper as W05 did appear to have a good bit of understeer at most venues whereas W06 has looked more neutral to date.

desl
desl

lio007 wrote: Image

the front wing really looks HUGE in this shot ... almost like a snow plow

De Jokke

No elephant air inlets?

http://i.imgur.com/LMHiG6A.jpg
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!