Cokebottle comparisons

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

Re: Cokebottle comparisons

But isn't half the reason some cars are able to achieve the tight waste/tiny rear (close to the centre line) because they've made their cars longer and used up the max height?

Looking at the relative size of the drivers' heads, i think the rb and the mclaren are significantly longer than merc/Ferrari (who also use a shark fin to satisfy minimum size in that area).

Sevach

SectorOne wrote:
Also on the Williams, yes it tightens up near the floor but it has very fat sidepods.
It´s not even in the same solar system as the Toro Rosso.

http://i.imgur.com/XAwZVT3.jpg
I still think the Willaims is hard to compare, the sidepod itself is fairly big, but the undercut (fatest point) and the floor space ahead of the diffuser are up to par.

I feel like Ferrari and Williams have different concepts of sidepod compared to RBR, STR, Merc and now Mclaren.
While those teams have a sidepod that "hugs" the radiators and an obvious extension that exists only to exit hot air, Williams and Ferrari have big round pods that "flow" into their hot air exits.

OO7
OO7

To me it looks like the Mercedes has the deepest rear undercut (excluding the side pod cooling ducts), from the point the side pods begin to turn inwards and the STR has the deepest front and side undercuts.

Overall, in terms of free floor area, I'd say the STR has the most. In terms of free volume, the RB in my opinion has the most.

raymondu999

Could someone enhance some of these photos? The shadows are really killing it for me. I can't see much of the coke bottle :|
失败者找理由,成功者找方法