Lotus E23 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Malaysian GP - Thursday

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

chuckdanny
chuckdanny

I didn't know they use golf ball dimples on the top of sidepods, i heard about it of course, it's to prevent or delay separation but never saw it

timbo
timbo

chuckdanny wrote:I didn't know they use golf ball dimples on the top of sidepods, i heard about it of course, it's to prevent or delay separation but never saw it

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/GP- ... 853047.jpg
Maybe it's just a different (perhaps lighter) carbon fiber weave? Not everything has to be aero related.

Thefuelman
Thefuelman

timbo wrote:
chuckdanny wrote:I didn't know they use golf ball dimples on the top of sidepods, i heard about it of course, it's to prevent or delay separation but never saw it

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/GP- ... 853047.jpg
Maybe it's just a different (perhaps lighter) carbon fiber weave? Not everything has to be aero related.
I remeber something about this from back in the 90's. some team in '96 wanted to do it, Tyrell I think because they were so down on HP from the Yamaha engine and the FIA very quickly put a stop to it because nobody wanted ugly dimpled cars. Maybe its just a hastily repaired panel on pastors car after his crash in Australia or just a bad finish?

Tim.Wright

That type of finish occurs when you pull too much resin out of the laminate during the cure cycle. The fibres close to the mould surface become almost dry of resin and you get a patterned texture in the shape of the weave.

I assume that they didn't have the time or the inclination to fill it before painting it.

It can be fixed in subsequent parts by changing the vacuum bagging assembly, the clave pressure or even changing the material but it doesn't make sense to scrap a non structural part because of a bad surface finish. The aero effect I'm sure is negligible.
Not the engineer at Force India

chuckdanny
chuckdanny

Well every part in contact with air has to do with aero but ok it could just be that it doesn't change much aero caracteritics.
A piece of wood, balsa or something found on the way. They are so much in need of money. Maybe it's recycled coffee plastic cup :lol: .

Last year they tried asymetrical things and even a real quit big bump on the roof, being so much behind the E22 was a real laboratory.

WBF1
WBF1

There is a possibility that particular part was not post cured to a high enough temperature. The other components around the sidepods are all smooth.

If laminates are exposed to higher temperatures than the post cure temp the resin can soften and start to "flow" exposing the laminate pattern (print through). Dark colours are more prone to this, and the part in question I believe would be in the vicinity of one of the radiators.

outer_bongolia

Tim.Wright wrote:I assume that they didn't have the time or the inclination to fill it before painting it.
What's the point of fixing dents in Pastor's car anyway? :roll: :mrgreen:
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

WBF1 wrote:There is a possibility that particular part was not post cured to a high enough temperature. The other components around the sidepods are all smooth.

If laminates are exposed to higher temperatures than the post cure temp the resin can soften and start to "flow" exposing the laminate pattern (print through). Dark colours are more prone to this, and the part in question I believe would be in the vicinity of one of the radiators.
Could Maldonado's bodywork incident in FP2 be caused by this?

joetoml1n

3jawchuck wrote:
WBF1 wrote:There is a possibility that particular part was not post cured to a high enough temperature. The other components around the sidepods are all smooth.

Doutful!
Also, in the set of pics that contains the one of the bodywork you're refering to; you can see it is car #8 - Grosjean

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

joetoml1n wrote:
3jawchuck wrote:

Doutful!
Also, in the set of pics that contains the one of the bodywork you're refering to; you can see it is car #8 - Grosjean
OK Thanks.
As for which car it is, I was just assuming they are both made in the same way and if any weakness in the process existed it would be present in both.

AlainProst
AlainProst

Have they changed something since last race in Australia aerodynamically ?

I don't see anything of difference but I may be wrong...

R_Redding
R_Redding

3jawchuck wrote:There is a possibility that particular part was not post cured to a high enough temperature. The other components around the sidepods are all smooth..
It looks like the mold or former has not been " gel coated" before the fibres were applied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelcoat

Gelcoat is used to smooth the surface so it does not give a raw or mild "orange peel" look and feel.

Rob

AnthonyG

I read something about Maldonado driving around with bodywork off/loose. Anyone has pictures of that?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Richard
Richard

Sponsor conversations are in the team thread :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread