Force India VJM08 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Samraj_official

Re: Force India VJM08

please say whether the nose is legal or illegal!!!!! coz there went too far crash testing it and also putting it in the car so that must be legal right? :D

Manoah2u

Thunders wrote:Some Pictures from Today by AMuS:

You really see on the Front Wings where the Red Bull Aero guys went.... :D First McLaren and now FI.
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Pas ... 876064.jpg
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Pas ... 876062.jpg
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Pas ... 876063.jpg
now that's the kind of F1 engineering i like to see. i love it!
now let's hope it actually works.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

eyalynf1

McMrocks wrote:
An impact absorbing structure must be fitted in front of the survival cell. This structure need not be an integral part of the survival cell but must be solidly attached to it and be arranged symmetrically about the car centre line.
No part of this structure may lie more than 525mm above the reference plane and its forward-most point must not be less than 850mm forward of the front wheel centre line.
It must have :
a) A single external vertical cross-section, perpendicular to the car centre line, of more than 9000mm² at a point 50mm behind its forward-most point. No part of this cross-section may lie less than 135mm above the reference plane and its overall width must not exceed 140mm.
b) A single external vertical cross-section, perpendicular to the car centre line, of more than 20000mm² at a point 150mm behind its forward-most point. The overall width of this cross-section must not exceed 330mm.
When measuring these sections, only parts between the highest point of the section and 100mm vertically below this point, may be considered.
Each external vertical cross-section, taken perpendicular to the car centre line between points 150mm behind the forward-most point of the structure and 150mm forward of the front wheel centre line, must be a single section with an area which exceeds a value given by a linear taper from 20000mm² to 60000mm² respectively.
Furthermore, all lines drawn normally and externally to a vertical cross-section taken 150mm ahead of the front wheel centre line and perpendicular to the car centre line, must not cross a vertical longitudinal plane lying on the car centre line.
Not sure if it is legal but at least the outer edges of the nostrils don't count to the minimum cross section. The 9000mm² and 20000mm² need to be one single cross section (not sure how they manage to reach the area required)

Not sure how they manage to avoid breaking the red part. I guess the nostrils end 15cm behind the nose tip?
The "holes" are not in the section described in red, they are in front of it. They are in front of the point 150mm behind the forward-most point of the structure.

techF1LES

eyalynf1, I disagree with you on this and here is my measurement... I will go as far to say these nostrils just starts 150mm behind the forward-most point of the crash structure.

Manoah2u

i'd say if it passed the testing, its the real thing and it's legal.

Force india does not have the (financial) luxury of doing tense research, investigation, development, and then actually making it and putting it on the car during testing if it 'easily' would be discarded as 'illegal'.

i'm sure it's legal and i'm sure it's got some interesting tricks in there. They wouldn't mount it if they didn't believe it has a significant benefit to it. They could just as well keep the old nose on, that was legal anyway.

I am very curious as to see exactly why it's like that. i'd love to see some team comments on it. Scarbs take on it, or a Sky edition on it.

Does Sky cover this testing session?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

techF1LES

Sky Sports is by no means a reliable source when it comes to explanation of any more complex technicalities and Scarbs' only comment on this issue I could find is this one...
https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/613740165396340736 Personally, I can't find a way how to circumvent article 3.7.8 with this kind of design provided that both vanity panel and mounting pylons must comply with this rule.
3.7.8 wrote:Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the reference plane.
[...]
The only rational explanation I could come up with is that the nose with nostrils is just intermediate step/temporary testing workaround (as Scarbs calls it) before the real thing hits the track. Maybe we will see the new nose cone in Silverstone, maybe I'm missing something here. Let's see.

eyalynf1

techF1LES wrote:eyalynf1, I disagree with you on this and here is my measurement... I will go as far to say these nostrils just starts 150mm behind the forward-most point of the crash structure.

http://i.imgur.com/qGoz3L9.jpg

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Pas ... 876064.jpg
You got me! It's amateur hour over here, as I was visualizing "150mm = 15 inches" as opposed to 15 cm.

ChrisF1

I hear it is legal, and another team considered launching with that design but the cost benefit of weight/aero improvement wasn't worthwhile...

weirdlife

ChrisF1 wrote:I hear it is legal, and another team considered launching with that design but the cost benefit of weight/aero improvement wasn't worthwhile...
So if I understand this right is that this is Legal but not an optimum solution. I am wondering why would Force India choose to follow a direction which is different to the tried and tested short-nose solution by Merc, RB, Mcl,Wil ... unless they found additional gains in their solution... :?:

Thunder

Well the Nose is longer (not shorter than the old one), so Crash testing should be Way easier (and thus cheaper) than all the short Nose Designs.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1316

techF1LES wrote:Sky Sports is by no means a reliable source when it comes to explanation of any more complex technicalities and Scarbs' only comment on this issue I could find is this one...

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/613740165396340736

Personally, I can't find a way how to circumvent article 3.7.8 with this kind of design provided that both vanity panel and mounting pylons must comply with this rule.
3.7.8 wrote:Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the reference plane.
[...]
The only rational explanation I could come up with is that the nose with nostrils is just intermediate step/temporary testing workaround (as Scarbs calls it) before the real thing hits the track. Maybe we will see the new nose cone in Silverstone, maybe I'm missing something here. Let's see.
Scarbs has now written this article in which he says it could potentially be legal:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/ ... e-rulebook

(I hope it is :) )

SparkyAMG

I too hope that it is classed as legal.

Although I would much rather see simpler - good looking noses - at least the requirement for having 'nostrils' is easy to understand by even the most casual fans who understand the basic concepts behind downforce and/or drag.

The stub and fingers noses however just look plain ridiculous, and I'm sure a lot of people unfamiliar with the rules are looking at some of the current noses wondering what the purpose of the stub is, when in fact, it has little purpose apart from satisfying the rules whilst ruining aesthetics.

drunkf1fan

weirdlife wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:I hear it is legal, and another team considered launching with that design but the cost benefit of weight/aero improvement wasn't worthwhile...
So if I understand this right is that this is Legal but not an optimum solution. I am wondering why would Force India choose to follow a direction which is different to the tried and tested short-nose solution by Merc, RB, Mcl,Wil ... unless they found additional gains in their solution... :?:
Based only on that quote I would read that as it IS optimal but the cost of producing it offers too small a benefit. IE they believe it improves downforce or reduces drag but they believe that due to the amount of time it takes to design and test via CFD/wind tunnel and the money involved can be more efficiently spent on something else on the car.

The smaller teams in particular have to really target the biggest gains they can get for the smallest costs. There will be plenty of things they'd like to do but just can't afford to and they have to make decisions of ignoring gains they know they can have in favour of other things.

desl

To me it lookes more or less like a VJM07-nose with heavy modified pylons.
If there's a loophole in the reglement which allowes this kind of nose, i expect the FIA to close it soon.
Otherwise we would get back last years anteater-noses ... with small bars connecting the pylons to the tip of the nose.

PlatinumZealot

If I am not wrong, the front wing pylons are not regulated above 135mm from the reference plane... So this could very well be a special pylon.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏