Force India VJM08 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM

Re: Force India VJM08

There's a point, they could argue the centre is the nose and the rest is pylon?

techF1LES

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for me, article 3.7.8 is catch-all regulation, no matter if it is pylon, nose cone or whatever.

Everything in the box defined by this rule (note drawing below) must be compliant, i.e. each slice of the box cut longitudinally vertically parallel to the car centre line must be single piece.

If you sliced Force India's nose in the area where the nostrils are, you get two slices, not one.
3.7.8 wrote:Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the reference plane.

Any cameras or camera housings approved by the FIA in addition to a single inlet aperture for the purpose of driver cooling, such aperture having a maximum projected surface area of 1500mm2 and being situated forward of the section referred to in Article 15.4.3(a), will be exempt from the above.

vas_04614

AMUS reporting it as legal
This question we can answer: The nose is legal. She had passed the required FIA crash test on the second try. Against the two holes of the regulations does not object.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 13263.html

turbof1

I'm not 100% sure, but passing the crash test is not the same as having a legal nose.

As Williams showed, you are perfectly allowed to run illegal parts during free practices and test days. What you are not allowed during such sessions, is running a crash structure that does not comform with the deacceleration tests. Having holes in the nose is essentially part of the dimensional technical rules, while the crash structure is a thing of safety.

Could very well be this is simply a test version of an upcoming nose, one that complies with both sides of the technical regulations.

I find the AMUS assumption quite a bit presumptious. Force India could have designed a ladder that complies with the crash test and use that as their nose during testing and free practice. Does not make it dimensional legal.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

The Cross sectional area of the nose is allowed only to be greater than a gradual increase from 20000 mm^2 to 60000 mm^2 from the nose tip reference section to the reference section where the slope of the nose starts. This means you can only have reductions in cross-sectional area if your nose tip cross section is larger than 20,000 mm^2 or some other CSA on the nose is larger than the linear increase allowed. Mercedes and Lotus in particular seem to be on the lower limits of this regulated C.S.A increase that their noses are very conical in shape.
I am not certain how Force India had abide by this rule with such a pencil like shape to their nose.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

slimfitcasual

f1316 wrote: Scarbs has now written this article in which he says it could potentially be legal:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/ ... e-rulebook

(I hope it is :) )
Me too. -3 seconds per lap. Hülkenberg World Champ 2015! :wink:
Last edited by slimfitcasual on 26 Jun 2015, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Per ardua ad astra

PlatinumZealot

Hulkenburg first podium is close?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NAPI10

Where it's stated 3 Sec per lap improvement?

vas_04614

Couple of articles on gptoday.com saying its a second per lap.

multisync

not quite
could be up to a second per lap faster
means anything from one thousandth to one whole second. IE a complete guess

godlameroso

Being one second per lap faster would put them above the Williams.
Saishū kōnā

Godius

vas_04614 wrote:AMUS reporting it as legal
This question we can answer: The nose is legal. She had passed the required FIA crash test on the second try. Against the two holes of the regulations does not object.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 13263.html
The interesting to read in this article is that AMuS knows that there is a big follow-up update package scheduled for the Belgian GP. Finally Force India is seeing considerable progress after this standstill that lasted quite a long time.

slimfitcasual

godlameroso wrote:Being one second per lap faster would put them above the Williams.
Which I think is pretty far fetched. I was being sarcastic in my previous post... I'm just a HULK fanboy.
Per ardua ad astra

NAPI10

I wish this car help them to achieve 4th in construction championship; that will be mighty achievement n lesson to all Big budget teams. [-o< [-o< [-o<

Sidhartha.techie

NAPI10 wrote:I wish this car help them to achieve 4th in construction championship; that will be mighty achievement n lesson to all Big budget teams. [-o< [-o< [-o<
That will be great, I am just too excited for what Hulk might do with the new package, damn Silverstone can't come sooner
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna