Force India VJM08 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: Force India VJM08

F1aero wrote:
f1316 wrote:Nostrils on the car - nice to see (I like variety).

Can't help but wonder why no other teams spotted the loophole - which makes me wonder if they did but chose not to pursue - but here's hoping it works well for them.

I suppose, thinking about the above, it's a simpler to crash test nose than an ultra short one; wonder if therefore Ferrari might try something similar, as Allison has mentioned that their bulkhead makes it difficult to go ultra short.
Why do people think this is something new?!
I know of at least 3 teams that looked into this when the current regs came out (FIndia not being one if them)
I didn't know that. Can you say who and if possible give links to articles or anything?

F1aero
F1aero

trinidefender wrote:
F1aero wrote:
f1316 wrote:Nostrils on the car - nice to see (I like variety).

Can't help but wonder why no other teams spotted the loophole - which makes me wonder if they did but chose not to pursue - but here's hoping it works well for them.

I suppose, thinking about the above, it's a simpler to crash test nose than an ultra short one; wonder if therefore Ferrari might try something similar, as Allison has mentioned that their bulkhead makes it difficult to go ultra short.
I know of at least 3 teams that looked into this when the current regs came out (FIndia not being one if them)
I didn't know that. Can you say who and if possible give links to articles or anything?
Sorry I cant mention names & there will be no links or articles. F1 is a small industry & people move around alot hence why probably every team has looked into it before FIndia released there's into the public eye.

michaelclarke

F1aero wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
F1aero wrote:
Sorry I cant mention names & there will be no links or articles. F1 is a small industry & people move around alot hence why probably every team has looked into it before FIndia released there's into the public eye.
I think I've figured out why people think this is new. There are no links or articles about it, you can't mention names and Force India are the first team to release it to the public eye.

I don't understand why you're surprised.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

Moose
Moose

It's not new at all. BAR had a rear wing designed exactly like this years ago in order to make a 3 element wing into a "2" element one...

f1316
f1316

Yeah ok, so it's not new - it's just that no one's ever done a nose like it before...

michaelclarke

Moose wrote:It's not new at all. BAR had a rear wing designed exactly like this years ago in order to make a 3 element wing into a "2" element one...

https://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/20 ... r_wing.jpg
I think the problem here is also that no one actually initially said the word new. They just appreciated the variety that Force India are bringing. Just as I appreciate that neat bit of recent history you showed us.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

PlatinumZealot

F1aero wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
F1aero wrote:
did your team look on it?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zoro_f1

Technical analysis: Why Force India's nostril nose is legal
:arrow: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/techn ... -is-legal/
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Some analysis of the VJM08's Silverstone updates.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

https://twitter.com/scarbsf1/status/624192793779535872 According to Scarbs having a small gap between the floor and tyre has big aero gains and the gap is just enough for wet tyres.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Come on, there is no room for suspension movement, that car clearly is lifted which causes the tires to be in the extreme position, i.e. the car is not standing on its wheels.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

The car does not look to be lifted here.. If you enlarge these pictures the gap still looks small. https://twitter.com/albertfabrega/statu ... 3007662080
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Morteza

Hungaroring - Thursday

Last edited by Morteza on 23 Jul 2015, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NAPI10
NAPI10

FI is not running Nostrils at Hungarian GP?

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Silent Storm wrote:The car does not look to be lifted here.. If you enlarge these pictures the gap still looks small.
https://twitter.com/albertfabrega/statu ... 3007662080
Maybe I stand corrected but that gap looks too small to be true. If it's not touching it almost looks like millimeters. A wet tire is +1cm in diameter, so that wouldn't work. Unless suspension geometry is adjusted I cannot imagine that car hitting a curb, moving off the ground and the suspension pushing the wheel down. If I remember correctly rear suspension travels around 5cm. There doesn't seem to be any room at all.