Manor Marussia MR03B Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
guffe

Re: Manor Marussia MR03B Ferrari

turbof1 wrote:Dear or dear, what could it possibly be?

http://u.cubeupload.com/turbof1/X.jpg

(smart people will probably now think: "right click, view image and let's look at the name of the image. That'll teach the sore basta... ahhh sh*t, he renamed it!")
That would be the X-wing then. :lol:

turbof1

Very close now to finishing up. Final teaser:
#AeroFrodo

DannyElfman

turbof1 wrote:Very close now to finishing up. Final teaser:
http://i.cubeupload.com/fxNyLU.jpg
Lollipop/halberd for pit stop?) what it is #-o

turbof1

So to end the teasing: it indeed was the front wing! Guess you guys thought it was too obvious for yet another front wing, but you underestimate my obsession with these pieces of art :P.

Without further ado, I present to you:

Ehhh... Mercarussia front wing? Ah sh*t, wrong upper elements! How silly of me.

Let's try that again, I unveil to you:

Oh you got to be kidding me. I asked for the Marussia wing, not a Marured Bull wing! I don't need Red Bull giving their wings.

3th time's a charm I guess:
Without endplate and cascades:
And so you guys can figure where my teasers went:
#AeroFrodo

Cuky

looks like one of the strakes from under the front wing

turbof1

Cuky wrote:looks like one of the strakes from under the front wing
Correct! The most inner one to be precise.

For the record, you were questioning earlier if it was the neutral section and thought better of it after comparing to other wings I drew. I'm fairly certain you compared it either to the 2014 Ferrari wing, or the early 2014 merc wing. The thing is, I actually got the neutral section in those 2 cases completely wrong concerning the ratio between its thickness and the rest of the wing. Its length is something I never really bothered with, since I only draw one half of the wing anyway.

I also will have to confess colours here: I'm actually a great fan of Marussia. The way they basically came back from the death, all what's happen to them, and despite all of that the never deterring love for the sport, really makes me sympathise with their cause.

The wing also was MASSIVELY difficult to draw, by far the most difficult one I ever did. Their big main plane element has a lot of curves which bend around several axis'. Also the way they have contructed their 7 outboard elements was very difficult, not to mention the integration with the endplate. I also can say this is the most detailed drawing I ever made of a wing.
#AeroFrodo

chuckdanny

How are you drawing this turbo? Which tool/ filter?

For the neutral central part i have a square(half so a rectangle full) of 250 by 250 mm in the 2013 rules, don't know if it has changed since then.
I may be wrong on this but the highest thickness (middle) is 30mm or was...

turbof1

chuckdanny wrote:How are you drawing this turbo? Which tool/ filter?

For the neutral central part i have a square(half so a rectangle full) of 250 by 250 mm in the 2013 rules, don't know if it has changed since then.
I may be wrong on this but the highest thickness (middle) is 30mm or was...
By computer mouse. Yes I'm serious. I just study dozens and dozens of pictures and then try to replicate it one specific angle. As you see this allows me to swap in parts of even other wing drawings (that red bull endplate and cascades almost fit flawless!). I use paint.net (not MS paint) as the program.

I still don't have the neutral section completely correct. Well it's dimensions are correct now atleast, but the leading edge is not thick enough. It however has that little impact on the rest of the drawing, I'm not bothered to change it again. Essentially I don't have the teardrop shape, but an ellips with the tail matching that of the teardrop.
#AeroFrodo

chuckdanny

Central section is supposed to be like this isnt it?
Yes, a neutral naca (no camber) but i would say with a more rounded small leading edge that sweep back up(or down) more slowly toward the middle highest point. That is an area of highest stagnation pressure that is reduced and an expansion follo-wing more gradual. All this making it working better under different angle of attack

Like this but symetrical

The intrados seems closer, with a less pronounced backface.
Last edited by chuckdanny on 08 May 2015, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

RicME85

That is taken from last years KVRC files which if I am not mistake was created using the point plots provided by the FIA in the regulations

turbof1

I believe RicMe85 got the more correct shape.

There is no variations possible since the FIA forced teams to have the edge follow the system of coördinates in the appendix table.
#AeroFrodo

chuckdanny

Well if its the real template there's no reason arguing, maybe the perspective of the image is misleading(edge) because of a bad fov relative to screen size, viewer postion ...i see a more pointy tip on real wing.

turbof1

chuckdanny wrote:Well if its the real template there's no reason arguing, maybe the perspective of the image is misleading(edge) because of a bad fov relative to screen size, viewer postion ...i see a more pointy tip on real wing.
Yes, it's really a matter of view position, and also because the cross section of the neutral middle part is not observable in real life.. Hence why I drew an ellips instead of a teardrop; I got myself convinced that that was the actualy shape. Later on I noticed I got it wrong.
#AeroFrodo