Manor Marussia MR03B Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Manor MNR1 - Ferrari (aka 2015 Marussia)

Small correction on my last post: the strake on top of the endplate also dates back from last year:

That is effectively completely the same wing they used last year.
#AeroFrodo

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

It is definitely the front wing used from last year as you can still see where they have peeled the QNET logo from the top of the front wing...
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

andylaurence

turbof1 wrote:
andylaurence wrote:
RicME85 wrote:Good spot Andy.
That front wing is unusual
What struck me is that I don't think they've ever put that through the wind tunnel. I have not seen a part like that. I would suggest that it's not yet been physically tested as it's unlikely they've had time to build a full wind tunnel model and test it prior to the season start.
To be honest, I don't see anything unusual on the wing. It's infact the same wing as last year:
http://i.imgur.com/OFnnuPM.jpg

It even includes the uppermost element's slot being taped over! They made a slight change to the endplate, now have a horizontal strake on top of it.
You're absolutely right. What's strange is that I've not seen that part before. What that means is that, in order of ascending probability...
  1. They never wind tunnel tested it.
  2. The part has been "misplaced".
  3. I've completely missed that part in my rummaging.

turbof1

I think we can exclude possibility 1; not a chance they would not test this in the windtunnel first. Possibly misplaced.

Just to be clear: the it's the large second wing element you find strange? Or the cascades? The uppermostwing elements? I'm a bit confused on what you exactly mean.
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

So the large second wing element. I don't feel like it being that strange. It's the way how you want to utilise ground effect and airflow structuring. Every team uses different accents, but some have fairly similarily designs:
Ferrari 2014

Williams:

Ferrari 2015:

I personally believe Marussian prefers to have such a huge element because they cannot generate enough rear downforce anyway to balance out with higher front downforce, which would require longer and bigger slots in the wing, which would lead to more drag.
#AeroFrodo

r.t.1.n
r.t.1.n

Re: Manor Marussia MR03B Ferrari

From AMUS- Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

proteus

There is a speculation, they dont have installed the engine managment software, which was sold in the auction, and that there is a chance they might not even run at all in australia...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

PhillipM
PhillipM

That seems a rather dubious speculation, they didn't own the engine management software from the outset, all teams run it under licence.

proteus

They sold the servers, which had it... i might be wrong, which i hope, cause i really want to see them back

andylaurence

From what I was told (by someone who bought IT gear at the auction), the hardware was wiped before sale. There were no CAD drawings, software licences or anything else - just tin.

As for the ECUs, I seem to remember they sold only the broken ones and the whole room was stunned at the hammer price on them. The auctioneer was surprised at the bidding.

skoop
skoop

why should they go to australia if they can't race? wouldn't they safe the money?
or does this count as competing in the race therefore they can get the money from last year?

proteus

The same speculation could be said 4 them using an 2014 spec. engine, which has an obvious lack of HP, it had it last year, and this year its gonna be even worse...the deficit could be up to 100 HP, so there will be quite a miracle to get into the 107%

WaikeCU

Omg... Imagine some blokes of Marussia knocking on some nerd's garage door to buy the software back or even asking permission to use the software. :lol:

turbof1

It is also reasonable to expect the car has less downforce then it had last year. Remember, the new nose regulation costs quite a bit on the front. Where the others already compensated for that and then some extra, Manor will have not.

They need their 2015 car very soon.
#AeroFrodo