Renault 2016 strategy

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
rgava
rgava

Renault 2016 strategy

I cannot understand how Renault is going to "wash" their public image by running a works team.
In my oppinion the origin of their problem is the enormous gap in investment to Mercedes.
Now they plan to increase their investment just to share it with chasis development and fail again to challenge Mercedes and Ferrari as works teams.
I think their best chance were to invest the necessary resources to beat their competitors with RB and make a lot of noise about it clearly showing that RB without them cannot win a championship. But it's clear they will not do it this way. :(

abarthmike
abarthmike

Re: Renault 2016 strategy

I don't think Renault need to "wash" their public image, as such. Most of the car buying public doesn't watch F1.
Even the one's that do realize that Renault's much touted failure, only by Red Bull, is not necessarily a failure. Let's not forget that Renault have not used any engine development tokens so far this year. Does this mean they don't know what to do? They would be hardly likely to buy out Lotus and run their own team if they had no idea how to improve their power unit.
It is simply a marriage gone wrong. Red Bull's product environment/marketing feeds on immediate success more so that say other products so they have to win to keep up with,say, Monster Energy. No immediate gain and they throw their toys out of the pram. RB gets frustrated at not winning and rather than losing gracefully they go on a rant about Renault. They have been so negative towards their partner that Mercedes want's nothing to do with them and has given their engines to Manor.
Thumbs up to Renault or Carlos Ghosn for telling RB where to stick it. Renault take with them, Infinity Sponsorship and probably Total (French). Christain Horner will tapping both feet now as he looks for another job?
Looking forward to Renault spending all their tokens on some end of season engine changes before coming out next year with a much improved 2016 engine.

rgava
rgava

But my point is, from some interviews to Mr. Abiteboul I've read, that main problem for Renault to catch up Merc is the limited budget they are running comparatively.
So I wonder how it will make more sense to spend more money running a full team than spending it on improving the PU.
After succeding in doing so, why not to run a works team?
But, frankly speaking I don't see them succeding whith the factory team in the next two to three years.

emaren
emaren

I suspect that they are getting 'Lotus' fairly cheaply. Perhaps just the value of their debts, perhaps slightly more.

The Lotus chassis looks to be pretty good so they have a decent start point at least.

Presumably next years engine will be a decent development of the 2015 version, which although unreliable, seems have been getting better all season. if they spend their time (and tokens) wisely, I see no reason whey Renault cannot produce an engine that is at least approaching Ferrari levels of performance.

rgava
rgava

I see renault factory team next year at Toro Rosso level.
I don't see them challenging for podiums.