Renault RS16 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gaz.

Re: Renault Sport RS16

The Frankenstein is a pretty car, it's just a pity this isn't a beauty contest. I must mutter something technical.....could they not be more inventive with the wastegate/screamer pipes on the RS16?
Forza Jules

FW17

The tip of the nose cone looks ugly. It looks like it has a bulb and a lot of things happening behind it under the nose cone. With all the black it is quiet difficult to make out the exact details.

f1316

Question: is talking about the waste gate exhaust etc about the car or the PU - I.e. Where do we discuss it?

Not that I have any great insight, but I do think it's the most interesting thing.

- 1 additional pipe rather than 2
- it's been made almost to mimic the curve of the main pipe
- doesn't seem as if any of that arrangement is pointing anywhere different (or is it a bit higher than before?)

piast9

Perhaps it would be better if we went back to the speculation thread. There is no point in commenting that mockup for any other reasons than the livery.

desl

continuum16 wrote:The Frankenstein car says R.E.16 on the top of the air box. Even Renault is confused as to what's what now...
They wrote RE16 on the 2015 chassis, too. Apparently it's the name for the 2016th engine.

f1316

piast9 wrote:Perhaps it would be better if we went back to the speculation thread. There is no point in commenting that mockup for any other reasons than the livery.
They are saying this is the car, that it's an 'evolution' from last year, but that it will be at the test in Barcelona.

I understand the scepticism - and wouldn't be surprised if it's a force India from last year type situation- but that's what they're saying.

Manoah2u

f1316 wrote:
piast9 wrote:Perhaps it would be better if we went back to the speculation thread. There is no point in commenting that mockup for any other reasons than the livery.
They are saying this is the car, that it's an 'evolution' from last year, but that it will be at the test in Barcelona.

I understand the scepticism - and wouldn't be surprised if it's a force India from last year type situation- but that's what they're saying.
to be honest, that makes a lot of sense. If 2017 - despite things being on hold - is gonna change significantly, they better invest in that. the engine token system is gone in 2017 so better set your goals for 2017. 2016 is minor difference compared to 2015. so , really, its pure logic. they'll run a chassis evolution all 2016 with minor upgrades, and focus mostly on engine and probably test some 2017 wings.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Gridlock

desl wrote:
continuum16 wrote:The Frankenstein car says R.E.16 on the top of the air box. Even Renault is confused as to what's what now...
They wrote RE16 on the 2015 chassis, too. Apparently it's the name for the 2016th engine.
Hmm, so they could be using this chassis to work out the integration of the Renault lump for the '16 car, if it's largely based on the '15

As in, they marked it RE16 because its the chassis with a Renault lump, not the one that's still got a Merc in, thus explaining the apparently different rear-end bodywork?

RicME85

well its not going to still have a Merc in is it, I bet Mercedes were pretty quick to take the PU's from Lotus so Renault didnt get a look at them

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
f1316 wrote:

to be honest, that makes a lot of sense. If 2017 - despite things being on hold - is gonna change significantly, they better invest in that. the engine token system is gone in 2017 so better set your goals for 2017. 2016 is minor difference compared to 2015. so , really, its pure logic. they'll run a chassis evolution all 2016 with minor upgrades, and focus mostly on engine and probably test some 2017 wings.
I thought the tokens were being stepped down gradually. Was I wrong??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Blackout

That's just the E23, a show car, and it wont run in Barcelona. Enstone do this almost every year. They also paint that R27 based show car almost every year and use it as a... showcar in various places.
They also often paint the previous year's car and even modify its bodywork and exhaut to make it look like the future car; they did the exact same thing in the 2012 presentation with Raikkonen and Grosjean; they brought the 2011 R31 with a fake stepped nose... They did a similar thing in 2013...

turbof1

If you guys want, I can merge this topic into the speculation thread and reopen that one? Let me know and I'll decide tomorrow if that got enough support.
#AeroFrodo

Scuderia1967

Blackout wrote:That's just the E23, a show car, and it wont run in Barcelona. Enstone do this almost every year. They also paint that R27 based show car almost every year and use it as a... showcar in various places.
They also often paint the previous year's car and even modify its bodywork and exhaut to make it look like the future car; they did the exact same thing in the 2012 presentation with Raikkonen and Grosjean; they brought the 2011 R31 with a fake stepped nose... They did a similar thing in 2013...
This.
I'm baffled how in a site called F1 TECHNICAL so many people are mistaking this for the real 2016 contender...

turbof1

Well first of all, Renault name it themselves the 2016 contender during the launch. Granted they called it a showcar afterwards, but that could just as well mean "this will be the 2016 chassis, but the bodywork around it will change."

Secondly, it is not such a stretch to believe they will reuse the 2015 chassis. After all, this is a transitional year. The regulations have kept very stable, with minor changes to the cockpit.

The aero will very likely change. Then again, so has it been with the likes of Ferrari who very clearly have always showed the real car on their launches, just with old aero packages.

So my dear scuderia1967, I think it is VERY f1technical to consider that this indeed is perhaps is not the 2016 contender, but also that it has a high probability it actually is given the team, according to Bob Bell, has to be rebuild. Reusing almost the same chassis as last year is a rather logical move in their position.

Again, I am open to merge it with the speculation thread. Messages in the days before called it a car reveal, as well as Renault calling it their 2016 car at the launch, made me believe this is the official car. I am not 100% sure though. Hence why the option for a backthrow to speculation is an option.
#AeroFrodo

trinidefender

turbof1 wrote:If you guys want, I can merge this topic into the speculation thread and reopen that one? Let me know and I'll decide tomorrow if that got enough support.
Please do, it makes everything much more simple