Mercedes W07 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OO7
OO7

Re: Mercedes W07 Speculation Thread

Looks like it is sporting Ferrari SF15-T side pod cut outs on the forward, top, outside sections.

kreuzass

ImageImageImageImage

FrukostScones

nice huge air intake, as big as TR, only vertically split (ROS pic)....?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

SiLo

In some pics it looks round, in some it looks like a oval laying on its side... Seems they are moving some cooling to the more turbulent parts of the car (centreline).
Felipe Baby!

ringo

Those vertical fins by the mirrors are quite longer on this car. They look like there are really effective for the flow going around the middle of the car.
As for the airbox, i think they made a very bold move. They must have been highly optimized from last year and ran out of ideas. Brackley were never the best chassis makers, so maybe they are showing their true colours now, and redbull and ferrari will take back the lead with chassis refinement.
I'm not convinced that they will have the best chassis this year. Something tells me they are putting their chips on engine performance.
Torro Rosso had a really neat oil cooler design last year; with the cooler straddling the top of the fuel tank, maybe merc are trying something similar?
For Sure!!

Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

nevill3

Edit...not quite quick enough..... #-o
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

aleks_ader

ringo wrote:Those vertical fins by the mirrors are quite longer on this car. They look like there are really effective for the flow going around the middle of the car.
As for the airbox, i think they made a very bold move. They must have been highly optimized from last year and ran out of ideas. Brackley were never the best chassis makers, so maybe they are showing their true colours now, and redbull and ferrari will take back the lead with chassis refinement.
I'm not convinced that they will have the best chassis this year. Something tells me they are putting their chips on engine performance.
Torro Rosso had a really neat oil cooler design last year; with the cooler straddling the top of the fuel tank, maybe merc are trying something similar?
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Tor ... 903195.jpg
I think those version is not reasonable for Merc PU. The front compressor prety well defined and so how prevent that. Why mess with that proven concept.

I think they just "expand" overall volume of rear "rads" witch sits on top of the gearbox. They probably sacrifice the CofG (densier or thicker rads) and some engine cover bulkiness (witch is already there - compare to Honda - bigger due, massive VLIM). They killed 2 bird with one stone:

-fill the void after PU plenum (VLIM) above low positioned turbo. So you need do that anyway, because engine cover is always preferably smooth transient shape. So there is no "death space" - incresed cooling efficiecy per internal volume.
-Provide the areodynamics designer to shrink the sidepod. And expose the option to rearrange or accommodate the flow structure toward diffuzor differently. Use more undercut in that area, use different cooling side exits in connection of downwash and upwash of rear wing (what a heck; whole rear to front domino efect ) etc.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Blackout

Edit
Last edited by Blackout on 20 Feb 2016, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

Blackout wrote:
So it's just black paint... not a heavy undercut...
Blaze1 wrote:Looks like it is sporting Ferrari SF15-T side pod cut outs on the forward, top, outside sections.
Indeed

OO7
OO7

Blackout wrote:Edit
The original Sky video quite strongly hints at a prominent undercut.

OO7
OO7

Anyone notice the blown front and rear axles?

kreuzass

Yes. What do you think why i have posted the picture of the weel and the wrench? :wink:
In this picture you can clearly see that the wrench is not the same like last year. has changed.

/edit
If there are blown wheels axles i do not know. Maybe. But i do not think so.
Last edited by kreuzass on 20 Feb 2016, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

OO7
OO7

kreuzass wrote:Yes. What do you think why i have posted the picture of the weel and the wrench? :wink:
In this picture you can cleary see that the wrench is not the same like last year. has changed.

/edit
If there are blown wheels axles i do not know. Maybe. But i do not think so.
Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! 8)

kreuzass

In the scetch it looks like blown wheels axles because there is black instead of the nuts with the white tip. Yes.

/edit
To clarify: Posted the picture because something has changed there an not because i saw blown wheels axels!