Mercedes W07 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AnthonyG

Re: Mercedes W07 Speculation Thread

Mr.G wrote:OT: I don't understand one thing. Why some journalist doesn't go near the track with some teleobjective and take some real pictures when they know there is filming day? I don't like these blury pics, it could be W06 and nobady knows :?
Cost-benefits. Telelens pictures for what a primer 2 days in advance?
It's F1, sneak previews of a car probably don't bring in that much.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

kreuzass

And they want to be invited at the next official media event at MAMG F1...
If they take high quality spy pictures without invitation they will never be invited anymore by MAMG F1. Thats for sure...

Sevach

There's something never seen before on the sidepod, the side impact structure is protuding in a big way.

OO7
OO7

kreuzass wrote:Something i have noticed but i am not quite sure about that... the upper tip of the airbox seems to be a little bit longer than the buttom (overhanging). On some pictures it seems to be the case in some other pictures not.

I would say i am sure to about 70% it is the case. And it makes sense to design such an overhanging tip. More upwashed air from the helmet can flow into the box. Can not wait till tomorow. I am quite horny to see this beauty (not in an sexual way).
Yes I thought the same thing, but in the following image that you posted the airbox inlet is straight with no top overhang:
I think the other images are too blurry, so I think the above image is an accurate indication of how the airbox will be.

EDIT (Done after official pictures released):
You were right about the inlet overhang. :)
Last edited by OO7 on 21 Feb 2016, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

Tomek1623

Here we go!
Last edited by Tomek1623 on 21 Feb 2016, 10:19, edited 2 times in total.

Godius

Last edited by Godius on 21 Feb 2016, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Tomek1623

superdowg316

That airbox is HUUUUGE! You could fit a London bus into it with room to spare! :shock:
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

f1rules

interesting they made the airbox that much larger, i would think it disrupts/restricts airflow to the rear, well they are the experts, but they definitly choose a different route
and they are indeed copying ferraris solution with the cutout on the outer sidepod edges

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Yurasyk

Better quality (bigger image in the new tab)

Thunder

That's one great looking Car. The Forms flow so nicely.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

aleks_ader

kreuzass wrote:I do not think so. Take a look at the last pictures of the W06... What do you think (after a comparision)?

Something i have noticed but i am not quite sure about that... the upper tip of the airbox seems to be a little bit longer than the buttom (overhanging). On some pictures it seems to be the case in some other pictures not.

I would say i am sure to about 70% it is the case. And it makes sense to design such an overhanging tip. More upwashed air from the helmet can flow into the box. Can not wait till tomorow. I am quite horny to see this beauty (not in an sexual way).
If i remember well the all intakes most be peperdicular accordig recerence plane (bottom plank). So thar overhang is just optical illusion caused by huge rake of f1 car.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Shrieker

I was of the impression that such a huge airbox would be detrimental to rear wing performance.

Can anyone shed some light on that ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk