Mercedes W07 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kreuzass

Re: Mercedes W07 Speculation Thread

I withdraw my conclusion of longer wheelbase. The black area at the sidepods to the end is only larger. I think at this point i was wrong.
aleks_ader wrote:
kreuzass wrote:I do not think so. Take a look at the last pictures of the W06... What do you think (after a comparision)?

Something i have noticed but i am not quite sure about that... the upper tip of the airbox seems to be a little bit longer than the buttom (overhanging). On some pictures it seems to be the case in some other pictures not.

I would say i am sure to about 70% it is the case. And it makes sense to design such an overhanging tip. More upwashed air from the helmet can flow into the box. Can not wait till tomorow. I am quite horny to see this beauty (not in an sexual way).
If i remember well the all intakes most be peperdicular accordig recerence plane (bottom plank). So thar overhang is just optical illusion caused by huge rake of f1 car.
No. Look at the second picture of tomek1623 posted pictures. :)
Last edited by kreuzass on 21 Feb 2016, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

GTO99

Hard to see with all the extra black paint, but ...
> it seems like there is a huge undercut on the front of the side pods.
> the shape of the side pod opening looks the same as W06.
> more turning vanes - now also on top of side pods.
> very slight nose surgery to remove point & make it more blunt.
> fwd rake to air box in side profile.
> air box inlet looks huge...the intent likely to feed the new engine more air.

ajprice

Shrieker wrote:I was of the impression that such a huge airbox would be detrimental to rear wing performance.

Can anyone shed some light on that ?
In frontal area there's probably not much difference between this or having a 'normal' airbox with the ears on the side, as used before by a few teams.

kreuzass

+ New cutouts on the floor near the rear tires

GTO99

I have a bad suspicion that the new engine is going to be a Power Monster. :shock:

Rhodium

W07 is sexy !

beautiful car to my eyes... other Williams/Ferrari/McLaren are ugly, but this one... my god.

neilbah

So the rollover hoop inlet seems to be like a more integrated version of whatever lotus were trying. Those are pitot sensors inside i take it so they seem to be evaluating the airflow between the different apertures. aside from cooling options is there a possibility that its something clever depending on yaw? weve seen Mercedes use multiple openings on the engine cover before for a passive DRS
Last edited by neilbah on 21 Feb 2016, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

OO7
OO7

GTO99 wrote:I have a bad suspicion that the new engine is going to be a Power Monster. :shock:
That sounds like a good suspicion to me. I'd certainly welcome it.
Last edited by OO7 on 21 Feb 2016, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Gridlock

Looks like the 'inverted Mickey' exhaust configuration from the video was accurate.

GTO99

Blaze1 wrote:
GTO99 wrote:I have a bad suspicion that the new engine is going to be a Power Monster. :shock:
That sound like a good suspicion to me. I'd certainly welcome it.
Great if you want Merc to drive off with both championships, but not great if you want a competitive F1 season.

timbo

Shrieker wrote:I was of the impression that such a huge airbox would be detrimental to rear wing performance.

Should be. I guess they care much more about diffuser performance.

FrukostScones

ah, you read too much into that huge potatoe shaped intake
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Mr.G

What I like as an Ferrari fan that there are ideas copied from Ferrari - top of the side pod intakes and slots in before the rear wheel.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

matt_s

timbo wrote:

Should be. I guess they care much more about diffuser performance.
The current regs seem to prevent the teams going too far down this route - if they detract too much from rear wing performance, then they lose the relative effectiveness of DRS.

OO7
OO7

Mr.G wrote:What I like as an Ferrari fan that there are ideas copied from Ferrari - top of the side pod intakes and slots in before the rear wheel.
Weren't those copied from McLaren?