Mercedes W07 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ME4ME

Re: Mercedes W07 Speculation Thread

turbof1 wrote:It will make sense however that Mercedes, and probably also the others, will spend les tokens then expected at the beginning of the season. That free upgrade is really significant. I also believe most if not all manufacturers will have quite a few token points left over at the end. There will be no strategic use for them for next year, and they might not have enough tokens left to make any useful alterations at that point.

It'll depend on the gains made by Ferrari. If the advantage Mercedes has, is in danger, they might start taking risks actually.
You say less than expected, but what is generally expected? Hard to say.
Care to elaborate why it makes sense to spend less tokens than expected, at the start of the season? By that i figure you mean withholding upgrades. That doesn't make any sense to me. Like you say, next years free-for-all is significant, as it affects this years strategy. There is no reason for them to hold back any development items as long as they can bring them to the track reliably and validated. Which is exactly what i originally said.

I disagree on your last point. I think Ferrari has very little to do with Mercedes PU development; they will push forward no matter what. Monza 2015 is the prime example, they didn't need to risk anything but to some extent they did. These PU's are guaranteed to be in the sport until 2020, Mercedes will work as hard as they can knowing they'll have good use of any gain they're able to make.

dans79

ME4ME wrote: You say less than expected, but what is generally expected? Hard to say.
Care to elaborate why it makes sense to spend less tokens than expected, at the start of the season?
If you can gain 50hp from the free turbo upgrade, or you can spend a bunch of tokens on a barely tested upgrade that might give you 75hp what do you do?

An engineer is going to take the 50 free hp and work a little longer on the 75hp upgrade to make it more reliable, or even larger.
197 104 103 7

turbof1

ME4ME wrote:
turbof1 wrote:It will make sense however that Mercedes, and probably also the others, will spend les tokens then expected at the beginning of the season. That free upgrade is really significant. I also believe most if not all manufacturers will have quite a few token points left over at the end. There will be no strategic use for them for next year, and they might not have enough tokens left to make any useful alterations at that point.

It'll depend on the gains made by Ferrari. If the advantage Mercedes has, is in danger, they might start taking risks actually.
You say less than expected, but what is generally expected? Hard to say.
Care to elaborate why it makes sense to spend less tokens than expected, at the start of the season? By that i figure you mean withholding upgrades. That doesn't make any sense to me. Like you say, next years free-for-all is significant, as it affects this years strategy. There is no reason for them to hold back any development items as long as they can bring them to the track reliably and validated. Which is exactly what i originally said.

I disagree on your last point. I think Ferrari has very little to do with Mercedes PU development; they will push forward no matter what. Monza 2015 is the prime example, they didn't need to risk anything but to some extent they did. These PU's are guaranteed to be in the sport until 2020, Mercedes will work as hard as they can knowing they'll have good use of any gain they're able to make.
Again, the free upgrade at the turbo and exhaust due regulation changes will save up tokens. Usually changes on the ICE has a knockback on those parts as well, meaning you have to invest tokens too. This is not the case now.
#AeroFrodo

scarbs

I've had Mercedes confirm the chassis has passed it's crash tests

nevill3

First couple of images grabbed from a youtube Video of the WO7, what can we see....

Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Chene_Mostert

nevill3 wrote:First couple of images grabbed from a youtube Video of the WO7, what can we see....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/ ... lv9e1w.png

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/ ... qqvhwg.png
Well, I see a Spray gun and what appears to be a open cockpit race car.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Joseki

So we know the car exist, it's a start.

Spacepace

That flow conditioner for mirror mount is shallower. Front end of car must have changed a bit don't you think?

OO7
OO7

It looks like the chassis may begin to curve downwards earlier than with the W06.

WaikeCU

Looks like there's a lot more Petronas green on the car this time.

f1316

Looks like there's some black mould on the first pic ;)

Chene_Mostert

The guy who is rubbing the black mould is married. :wink:
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

GPR-A duplicate2

Is this the nose?

Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 11 Feb 2016, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

dren

WaikeCU wrote:Looks like there's a lot more Petronas green on the car this time.
Yup, looks like it might stand out more!
Honda!

adrianjordan

nevill3 wrote:First couple of images grabbed from a youtube Video of the WO7, what can we see....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/ ... lv9e1w.png

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/ ... qqvhwg.png
That they need to hire a new photographer....I mean really, those aren't exactly the best photos to show off your new car now are they!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️