Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mamba
Mamba

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Did Ferrari race their new rear wing and diffuser? I cannot clearly see in any of the pictures from race day weather it was the old or new rear wing.

regards
MAMBA

atlantis
atlantis

Formula Wrong wrote:Sorry that this isn't about the testing days, but I've noticed in a recently released on-board video from Vettel's Ferrari on Race-Sunday that the whole rear wing seems to move a bit down while on the straight and goes up again while breaking:
http://i.imgur.com/k3F89H8.gif
Source: Second Video here

I thought all Aero-Parts except for DRS aren't allowed to move like that? I am noticing this for the first time (never noticed it like this on another car before) so it does look kind of weird to me.
Also the engine cover seems to deflate when the car slows down. Or it's just an optical illusion?

Formula Wrong

atlantis wrote:
Formula Wrong wrote:Sorry that this isn't about the testing days, but I've noticed in a recently released on-board video from Vettel's Ferrari on Race-Sunday that the whole rear wing seems to move a bit down while on the straight and goes up again while breaking:

I thought all Aero-Parts except for DRS aren't allowed to move like that? I am noticing this for the first time (never noticed it like this on another car before) so it does look kind of weird to me.
Also the engine cover seems to deflate when the car slows down. Or it's just an optical illusion?
Now that you're saying it, i see that slight movement you mean. However, that might actually be only an illusion caused by the camera being shaken a bit by the deceleration. At least I can't imagine any advantage a "deflating" engine cover would give; while a rear wing that bends would cause less drag on a straight.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

Nickel
Nickel

Formula Wrong wrote:
atlantis wrote:

Now that you're saying it, i see that slight movement you mean. However, that might actually be only an illusion caused by the camera being shaken a bit by the deceleration. At least I can't imagine any advantage a "deflating" engine cover would give; while a rear wing that bends would cause less drag on a straight.
It looks like the rear wing is flexing backwards on the support pylon, reducing AOA. Could this be what's causing the appearance (real or imagined) that the engine cover is also deforming? The monkey seat moves an incredible amount.

wesley123
wesley123

They are already doing that for years. I believe it was first reported somewhere in 2004(?)
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Formula Wrong

wesley123 wrote:

They are already doing that for years. I believe it was first reported somewhere in 2004(?)
You are correct, I've found an article and even a topic in this forum about this issue; both from 2006
(link 1) (link 2)

Link 1 mentions a maximum of 5 milimeters which the rear wing may bend, but of course this applies to the 2006 regulations. I am not sure which part of the current technical regulations refers to the rear wing, but the points listed under 3.17 mostly talk about a maximum deflection of 10 mm if i'm reading them correctly. Though, what we can see in the video/gif looks like more than just 1 centimeter to me!
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

Hi all!

the article at link1 tells "To check the legality of the wings, the FIA uses specific tests on the car while it is stationary. Loads are applied to the wing elements at specific areas and the wing cannot deflect above a certain amount. This is 5mm for the uppermost element of the rear wing and 2mm for the front-element."

In my opinion it is referred to the airfoil and not to the whole rear wing structure.

Take as example the flexible front wing of the past few years, they lead to more sever tests, but only about transversal flexibility if I am right and not about the longitudinal one.

Also in this case I can't see flexible profile in the video, but only the entire rear wing structure that bends over the aerodynamic load and probably there is not a regulation that does not allow this bending.

Sorry for the long post and if I am wrong sorry two times! :D

Nickel
Nickel

Indeed, if they're testing the actual wing elements for deformation, it would appear that's not what's being done. It looks to me like the whole rear wing structure is sagging under load. Deformable support pylon?

Formula Wrong

BlackSwan wrote: Also in this case I can't see flexible profile in the video, but only the entire rear wing structure that bends over the aerodynamic load and probably there is not a regulation that does not allow this bending.

Sorry for the long post and if I am wrong sorry two times! :D
But doesn't this have the same result? Whether it's only the profile that bends or the entire structure, the angle of the wing still changes, doesn't it?

wuzak
wuzak

3.17.3 Bodywork may deflect by no more than one degree horizontally when a load of 1000N is applied simultaneously to its extremities in a rearward direction 925mm above the reference plane and 20mm forward of the forward edge of the rear wing endplate.

bhall II
bhall II

Anyone know if they still run the center pylon through the exhaust pipe?

It would seem the matter is decidedly more complicated if they do. (It might also suggest that enabling the wing to flex by way of exhaust heat is what allows it to pass a flex test that's administered in ambient temperatures.)
Formula Wrong wrote:Image

DiogoBrand

bhall II wrote:Anyone know if they still run the center pylon through the exhaust pipe?

http://i.imgur.com/vj5uSTl.jpg

It would seem the matter is decidedly more complicated if they do. (It might also suggest that enabling the wing to flex by way of exhaust heat is what allows it to pass a flex test that's administered in ambient temperatures.)
Formula Wrong wrote:http://i.imgur.com/k3F89H8.gif
That is a significant change in angle, if that really is related to the heat from the exhaust expanding the support pylon I think it won't be long before this is a big talking point in F1.
About the engine cover, I would guess it's only "deflating" because of the pressure buildup under speed, it's hard to see them planning that or gaining something from it.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Depends if the whole lot is cantilevered from the floor too, in which case the pressure deflecting the engine cover could be use to help the rear wing moving.

ecapox

bhall II wrote:Anyone know if they still run the center pylon through the exhaust pipe?

That's absolutely genius if that is why they did it.

Formula Wrong

ecapox wrote:

That's absolutely genius if that is why they did it.
It would definitly be. However, there don't seem to be any detailed pictures of Ferrari's rear/exhaust from Spanish GP and on different perspectives from the race-feed you can only see black inside the main exhaust. Does anyone have good connections to a motorsport-photograph who could try to catch a good pic at Monaco? :mrgreen: