Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Very interesting analysis, albeit unconfirmed really, of Ferrari's Barcelona qualifying problems.

Link - Analysis: Ferrari focuses on tyre pressures in search for qualifying boost
The Maranello outfit's weaknesses in qualifying were highlighted at last weekend's Spanish Grand Prix, when Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen were outqualified by both Mercedes and Red Bull after big struggles in the heat of Saturday afternoon.

The fact that its pace returned on race day – albeit could not be shown because both Vettel and Raikkonen got trapped behind the Red Bulls – confirmed that it is not a fundamental car design nor engine problem that it is facing.
In the article, McLaren's idea seems to be ridiculous (although very creative), but was scrapped down by FIA.
At the Russian Grand Prix, McLaren asked for clarification from the FIA about the potential to develop certain devices that could help manage pressures.

For example, one of the ideas was to have a double-chambered wheel rim that had a small bleed hole in-between.

The proposal was that the outer chamber would be filled with higher pressure air to ensure the tyres were above the minimum pressure limit, while the inner chamber would have less pressure.

The hole would be small enough not to allow the higher pressure air to escape instantly – but over a short period of time the pressure in the two chambers would equalise, lowering the overall pressure the tyre was being run at.

The FIA made clear, however, that such ideas were a breach of the regulations, and, as is standard practice, its response to McLaren was circulated to all teams.

zac510
zac510

wuzak wrote:3.17.3 Bodywork may deflect by no more than one degree horizontally when a load of 1000N is applied simultaneously to its extremities in a rearward direction 925mm above the reference plane and 20mm forward of the forward edge of the rear wing endplate.
I wonder at which point the 1 degree is measured - the front plane where the 1000N is applied, or any related part of the bodywork?
1 degree movement 925mm from the reference plane seems to be about 16mm. Perhaps the forward edge of the wing is actually not moving more than that. If so, the wing is legal regardless of temperatures. Although to my eyecrometer it looks like Ferrari's is moving a bit more than that!
No good turn goes unpunished.

shelly
shelly

The interesting point is that the testing procedure for rw flexing uses a load that is completely different from the aero load.

flex test: 1000N horizontal direction

aero force: around 5000N, direction almost vertical (80°)

so also without using heat, it could be possible to design a pylon , or even a flexure, allowing for the wing to pass the test in the box and deflect on track
twitter: @armchair_aero

turbof1

I'm not necessarily sure this is purely an aerodynamic matter. Obviously the structure flexes and I can definitely see the benefits. However, it might also be a matter of weight: making the whole structure stiff enough requires additional material to strengthen the support pylon and endplate.

By strengthening the structure just enough to pass the flex tests, you can save some weight contrary to stiffening the whole structure to morally acceptable level.

@Ben: I don't know if the pylons still runs through the exhaust pipe, but it seems atleast connected to it on top. It's always possible to have the exhaust pipe flex, which further knocks on to the wing.

They have quite a complicated and thick structure in place:
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

Great shot. It appears as though the exhaust pipe and waste gates have deliberately been made to be flexible via crumple zones...

turbof1

I wonder how big of an influence the monkey seat is on the flexing structure. I personally think that under aerodynamic load the wing 'pulls' up the exhaust pipe, which would be' flexible under heat.
#AeroFrodo

Pierce89

GPR-A wrote:Very interesting analysis, albeit unconfirmed really, of Ferrari's Barcelona qualifying problems.

Link - Analysis: Ferrari focuses on tyre pressures in search for qualifying boost
The Maranello outfit's weaknesses in qualifying were highlighted at last weekend's Spanish Grand Prix, when Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen were outqualified by both Mercedes and Red Bull after big struggles in the heat of Saturday afternoon.

The fact that its pace returned on race day – albeit could not be shown because both Vettel and Raikkonen got trapped behind the Red Bulls – confirmed that it is not a fundamental car design nor engine problem that it is facing.
In the article, McLaren's idea seems to be ridiculous (although very creative), but was scrapped down by FIA.
At the Russian Grand Prix, McLaren asked for clarification from the FIA about the potential to develop certain devices that could help manage pressures.

For example, one of the ideas was to have a double-chambered wheel rim that had a small bleed hole in-between.

The proposal was that the outer chamber would be filled with higher pressure air to ensure the tyres were above the minimum pressure limit, while the inner chamber would have less pressure.

The hole would be small enough not to allow the higher pressure air to escape instantly – but over a short period of time the pressure in the two chambers would equalise, lowering the overall pressure the tyre was being run at.

The FIA made clear, however, that such ideas were a breach of the regulations, and, as is standard practice, its response to McLaren was circulated to all teams.
McLaren's "idea" was bs, it was just an excuse to try and get a clampdown on the tire pressure situation.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bhall II
bhall II

turbof1 wrote:I wonder how big of an influence the monkey seat is on the flexing structure. I personally think that under aerodynamic load the wing 'pulls' up the exhaust pipe, which would be' flexible under heat.
Taken during scrutineering for the last race, here's another photo from which it seems clear the exhaust pipes are probably flexed downward, given curvature that looks designed to accommodate the suspension. The inner support structure, whatever it is and what I suspect actually controls the flexing, has been shielded from our prying eyes...

Formula Wrong

bhall II wrote:Great shot. It appears as though the exhaust pipe and waste gates have deliberately been made to be flexible via crumple zones...

http://i.imgur.com/ILyRQtZ.jpg
bhall II wrote: Taken during scrutineering for the last race, here's another photo from which it seems clear the exhaust pipes are probably flexed downward, given curvature that looks designed to accommodate the suspension. The inner support structure, whatever it is and what I suspect actually controls the flexing, has been shielded from our prying eyes...

http://i.imgur.com/7aPCq4S.jpg
That's pretty interesting indeed... Now the question is: what exactly are they shielding from us? :mrgreen:
-prepares tinfoil-hat-
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

bhall II
bhall II

Formula Wrong wrote:...what exactly are they shielding from us? :mrgreen:
They're trying to protect people from my cockamamie ideas.

I imagine there's something to the orange thing that showed up in March...
bhall II wrote:Image
It wasn't always there...

February

fdespotovski
fdespotovski

Formula Wrong wrote:
bhall II wrote:Great shot. It appears as though the exhaust pipe and waste gates have deliberately been made to be flexible via crumple zones...

bhall II wrote: Taken during scrutineering for the last race, here's another photo from which it seems clear the exhaust pipes are probably flexed downward, given curvature that looks designed to accommodate the suspension. The inner support structure, whatever it is and what I suspect actually controls the flexing, has been shielded from our prying eyes...

http://i.imgur.com/7aPCq4S.jpg
That's pretty interesting indeed... Now the question is: what exactly are they shielding from us? :mrgreen:
-prepares tinfoil-hat-
They are not hiding anything, the cover is there to prevent something getting in the exhaust when the engine is not running. All other teams do that as far as i know. :D

lio007

Ferrari flexi rear-wing

Ferrari rear-wing structure goes down due to high speed and moves up when braking into turn 1 at Barcelona:

For a comparison: RB with more or less zero movement up- or downwards

turbof1

I have noticed that the monkey seat flexes visible more then the rear wing does. Also note how it is attached to the rear wing pylon:

It's a very curious design. Furthermore it's attached to the very thick base of the pylon, too thick one might say. However, that doesn't exist in F1, so it must have some reason to be that thick. A theory, and I really want to stress on theory as I too have my doubts about it, is that the monkey seat acts like a lever and activates a mechanism inside the pod (base of the pylon), probably pulling up a stiff part of the pylon allowing the wing to flex.

But again: just a theory!
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

fdespotovski wrote:They are not hiding anything, the cover is there to prevent something getting in the exhaust when the engine is not running. All other teams do that as far as i know. :D
You may very well be right, because it makes sense, and I think we've all probably seen instances of teams using various "shields" around the car to prevent foreign object entry - even if that's ultimately not a very sexy answer. That said, Ferrari hasn't always been so vigilant about it...

A mitigating factor: at some point, cars have to be weighed, and I imagine that necessitates removing every "shield" for a moment or two. The above could be a picture of SF15-T at one of those points.

rscsr

turbof1 wrote:I have noticed that the monkey seat flexes visible more then the rear wing does. Also note how it is attached to the rear wing pylon:

It's a very curious design. Furthermore it's attached to the very thick base of the pylon, too thick one might say. However, that doesn't exist in F1, so it must have some reason to be that thick. A theory, and I really want to stress on theory as I too have my doubts about it, is that the monkey seat acts like a lever and activates a mechanism inside the pod (base of the pylon), probably pulling up a stiff part of the pylon allowing the wing to flex.

But again: just a theory!
That theory sounds like it could be true. But why would they make the pylons and the piece in the exhaust so wide? I think that you could be doing it with half the width or less.