Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall II

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

My theory...

The structural support for the wing is mounted to the crash structure and runs through the orange "thing" within the exhaust pipe (original image) and also through a tapered "sleeve," upon which the monkey seat is affixed (original image). At high temperature, which makes the support malleable, the pylon and a deformable section of the exhaust pipe are allowed to bend under specific loads. In other words, the assembly is anisotropic and essentially controlled by airspeed.

In the above - probably convoluted, definitely imprecise - graphic, the component denoted by the green arrows (top right) is from the same race, if not the same car. The upper photo is from scrutineering in Barcelona (original image); the photo underneath is from after the race (original image). Note how it goes from being silky smooth to being crumpled. (According to the FIA, no part of the exhaust system was changed in parc fermé on either Ferrari.)

The inset photo directly beneath that is from pre-season testing (original image). Note the heat tint in relevant section.

I didn't specifically include the waste gates. Aside from their shape, which suggests they've been formed in such a way as to accommodate the upper wishbone mounts below them, they seem to have the same properties as the exhaust pipe.

So, let 'er rip. :lol:

EDIT: "bettererer" graphic, a few "better" words
Last edited by bhall II on 21 May 2016, 06:07, edited 3 times in total.

trinidefender

bhall II wrote:My theory...

http://i.imgur.com/5g7cIbU.jpg

The structural support for the wing is mounted to the crash structure and runs through the orange thing within the exhaust pipe (original image) and also through a sleeve of sorts, which is the component to which the monkey seat is directly attached (original image). At high temperature, the inner structural support becomes malleable and simply allows a deformable section of the exhaust pipe to be crushed as the wing flexes under load.

In the above - probably convoluted, definitely imprecise - graphic, the component denoted by the green arrows (top right) is from the same race, if not the same car. The upper photo is from scrutineering in Barcelona (original image); the photo underneath is from after the race (original image). According to the FIA, no part of the exhaust system was changed in parc fermé on either Ferrari. Note how it goes from being silky smooth to being crumpled. The inset photo directly beneath that is from pre-season testing (original image). Note the heat tint in relevant section.

I didn't specifically include the waste gates. Aside from their shape, which suggests they've been formed in such a way as to accommodate the upper wishbone mounts below them, I don't necessarily think they need pointed attention here.

So, let 'er rip. :lol:
I had my doubts about this early on but watching the video and doing some reading, it does seem possible, maybe even probable. Doesn't McLaren also have something looking quite similar inside their exhaust, a thick section?

Who else has anything that can work similarly?

bhall II

trinidefender wrote:Who else has anything that can work similarly?
I highly doubt it functioned the same way, but last year's Toro Rosso was the first car I saw with a wing pylon that passed through the exhaust pipe. I wouldn't be surprised if that inspired Ferrari's (alleged) solution.

wuzak

zac510 wrote:
wuzak wrote:3.17.3 Bodywork may deflect by no more than one degree horizontally when a load of 1000N is applied simultaneously to its extremities in a rearward direction 925mm above the reference plane and 20mm forward of the forward edge of the rear wing endplate.
I wonder at which point the 1 degree is measured - the front plane where the 1000N is applied, or any related part of the bodywork?
1 degree movement 925mm from the reference plane seems to be about 16mm. Perhaps the forward edge of the wing is actually not moving more than that. If so, the wing is legal regardless of temperatures. Although to my eyecrometer it looks like Ferrari's is moving a bit more than that!
The angle would be measured from the reference plane or from a perpendicular plane on the FIA's measurement rig.

wuzak

shelly wrote:The interesting point is that the testing procedure for rw flexing uses a load that is completely different from the aero load.

flex test: 1000N horizontal direction

aero force: around 5000N, direction almost vertical (80°)

so also without using heat, it could be possible to design a pylon , or even a flexure, allowing for the wing to pass the test in the box and deflect on track
The rule I quoted is only one of the load tests for teh rear wing. There are several others.

bhall II

No longer happy with my theory.

Haas VF-16, aka Ferrari Jr...

Same contoured waste gates

What looked like crumples could easily be (ever-problematic) illusions

And there's a big --- doughnut hole in the exhaust pipe, i.e. there's no need for anything to crumple

Ever

Not that any of this is (was) necessarily central to the idea. But, still. :lol:

shelly

wuzak wrote:
shelly wrote:The interesting point is that the testing procedure for rw flexing uses a load that is completely different from the aero load.

flex test: 1000N horizontal direction

aero force: around 5000N, direction almost vertical (80°)

so also without using heat, it could be possible to design a pylon , or even a flexure, allowing for the wing to pass the test in the box and deflect on track
The rule I quoted is only one of the load tests for teh rear wing. There are several others.

Yes I was referring just to the rear wing. The test load for the rear wing is inconsistent with the race track aero load on the rear wing, and this could be exploited in some way. In my opinion the unusual mounting of sf16 pylon, which sits on top of the monkey seat support, is an indication they are trying something there. But I could be off the mark, and maybe this choice is just driven by layout issues of interference berween exhaust and structure
twitter: @armchair_aero

aral

I think that some are over-thinking this "flexing". And possibly looking at the wrong point to see what is happening.
The video certainly looks jumpy as it is being rewound, so a sudden change appears to be happening. But watch more closely, it is the entire wing and attached monkey seat that is moving, including end plates. Now, if the attachment of the endplates to the chassis was flexible, that would allow the entire wing etc to move back. I think a more detailed look at the attachment point might be able to give a clue as to the reason for the movement. Any close-ups of the bottom of the endplates?

bhall II

I don't think there's any doubt it flexes. Or maybe saying it tilts is more apt. The only question for me is how.

Should have done this from the start...

If that big --- doughnut hole on the Haas exhaust is also present on the Ferrari, nothing has to crumple. It would seem to be able to just slide through...

(Just pretend the middle section of the exhaust pipe isn't moving.)

Mr.G

Could this be possible/legible?

Let's assume they build A rim with a chamber. The inner wall of the chamber have mounted the FIA/PIRELLI sensor and main valve. The outer wall have pressure limited valve which holds the higher pressure only inside the chamber and the actual tire is pressured to limited pressure...

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

aral

Please confine your posts to actual details of the SF16-H. Speculation about bendy exhausts, and now even unrelated tyre pressures should not be posted on this thread.

bhall II

Exactly. Along with the iconic color, rosso corsa, and scintillating second-place finishes, Ferrari is widely known for its time-honored tradition of releasing extensive, detailed schematics to the general pubic. So, there's no reason for speculation here; all we have to do is wait.

Should be soon.

Any day now.

While we're still young.

(Some of us, anyway. :D )

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ferkan

Can anyone say what couls be a reason for Ferrari having such a thick front wishbones, especially compared to RB and Merc?

Silent Storm

I don't think its a big difference in thickness between Ferrari and other teams .Thanks to Push rod suspension they are a lot slimmer compared to last year.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…