Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Fede90

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

I have seen a lot of oversteer on this SF16H after last race. I don't understand what they have done to regress since 2014's problems. It seems to F-14T, same untamable car after a turn.
And they have again a lot of traction problem. 7 years and no solutions.

tpe
tpe

Is there anything new in the car?

mkable1370

http://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fe ... 951051.jpg

Does anyone know what the red colored racing tape is doing on the rear crash structure? Thanks.

bhall II

ferkan wrote:Can anyone say what couls be a reason for Ferrari having such a thick front wishbones, especially compared to RB and Merc?
I think they're probably just behind due to four years spent pursuing a push rod solution.

ferkan

bhall II wrote:
ferkan wrote:Can anyone say what couls be a reason for Ferrari having such a thick front wishbones, especially compared to RB and Merc?
I think they're probably just behind due to four years spent pursuing a push rod solution.
Thats what I thought. Their nose is also less extreme version of thumb stlye nose then RBs, and sidepod undercut is not as prominent as well. Wishbone design placement is less aero "friendly" then either Merc or RB. There are many little thinga that explain where Ferrari currently are unfortunately.

bhall II

ferkan wrote:Thats what I thought. Their nose is also less extreme version of thumb stlye nose then RBs, and sidepod undercut is not as prominent as well. Wishbone design placement is less aero "friendly" then either Merc or RB. There are many little thinga that explain where Ferrari currently are unfortunately.
Well...

giantfan10

ferkan wrote:
bhall II wrote:
Thats what I thought. Their nose is also less extreme version of thumb stlye nose then RBs, and sidepod undercut is not as prominent as well. Wishbone design placement is less aero "friendly" then either Merc or RB. There are many little thinga that explain where Ferrari currently are unfortunately.
some of the speculation here is amazing at best... so running a push rod for four years is why ferrari allegedly has a thicker front wishbone? ... they have less of an undercut and a different nose..... do some of you read the stuff you post?
5 races have been ran this year and Ferrari has finished behind red bull in one... results are what count not they have a smaller wishbone or undercut or whatever is fashionable this week.

ferkan

giantfan10 wrote:
ferkan wrote:
bhall II wrote: I think they're probably just behind due to four years spent pursuing a push rod solution.
some of the speculation here is amazing at best... so running a push rod for four years is why ferrari allegedly has a thicker front wishbone? ... they have less of an undercut and a different nose..... do some of you read the stuff you post?
5 races have been ran this year and Ferrari has finished behind red bull in one... results are what count not they have a smaller wishbone or undercut or whatever is fashionable this week.
No, I never mentioned that running a pull rod for 4 years is the reason for it, it was Bhall who thought it was one explanation of the FACT that Ferrari wishbones are indeed noticeably thicker then RBs. They are also placed in less aero friendly way, disturbing the air more when it passes towards bardgeboards and the back of the car.

Other thing is, yes sidepods on RB have very big undercut which again means air channels easier towards the back of the car then in Ferrari's case. I'm talking about the part where the central electronic system is, its best seen from the front.

And yes, Ferrari has finished in front pretty much every time. We will see if that is going to continue now that RB is not losing 1 second on engine only.

ferkan

Silent Storm wrote:I don't think its a big difference in thickness between Ferrari and other teams .Thanks to Push rod suspension they are a lot slimmer compared to last year.
RB

Ferrari

bhall II

giantfan10 wrote:some of the speculation here is amazing at best... so running a push rod for four years is why ferrari allegedly has a thicker front wishbone? ... they have less of an undercut and a different nose..... do some of you read the stuff you post?
Why the change of heart? It wasn't always difficult for you to see that a relatively underdeveloped suspension might be given more robust components as a corrective measure.

The point about the current nose isn't to make a qualitative assessment; it's to highlight the fact that it's plan-B, which is never the best way to go forward.

And just to round things out, undercut comparisons can be dicey, because different philosophies require different designs. Less isn't necessarily bad, and more isn't necessarily good.

giantfan10

ferkan wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
ferkan wrote: Thats what I thought. Their nose is also less extreme version of thumb stlye nose then RBs, and sidepod undercut is not as prominent as well. Wishbone design placement is less aero "friendly" then either Merc or RB. There are many little thinga that explain where Ferrari currently are unfortunately.
No, I never mentioned that running a pull rod for 4 years is the reason for it, it was Bhall who thought it was one explanation of the FACT that Ferrari wishbones are indeed noticeably thicker then RBs. They are also placed in less aero friendly way, disturbing the air more when it passes towards bardgeboards and the back of the car.

Other thing is, yes sidepods on RB have very big undercut which again means air channels easier towards the back of the car then in Ferrari's case. I'm talking about the part where the central electronic system is, its best seen from the front.

And yes, Ferrari has finished in front pretty much every time. We will see if that is going to continue now that RB is not losing 1 second on engine only.
As far as red bull losing 1 second per engine only.... we will see what the gap is after ferrari changes their suspect turbo for canada. i suspect all the hot air coming out of red bull will put them exactly where they are right now... third
i dont even get why this idea that red bull produces the most downforce of any team is even relevant, this is an engine formula and being competitve in 4 or 5 races with a 21 race calender is pretty much useless

Big Mangalhit

So much for rb thin suspensions ...

edxferrari

i dont know what is happening with ferrari last 2 races positive start of the day in fp3 an q1 then they cant improve in q3 i wonder if this is related to pure traction problem or at the moment ferrari is most affected car by slight change of track temp ?

and all you hailed the slim fornt suspension of RB that is the negative effect a light tuch with barriers bang

3jawchuck

edxferrari wrote:i dont know what is happening with ferrari last 2 races positive start of the day in fp3 an q1 then they cant improve in q3 i wonder if this is related to pure traction problem or at the moment ferrari is most affected car by slight change of track temp ?

and all you hailed the slim fornt suspension of RB that is the negative effect a light tuch with barriers bang
To be fair, it's not generally a good idea to go around hitting solid objects with your racing car. But, changing temperature is something you can reasonably expect to happen with no input from anyone.

eri
eri

How F1 2017 could look like

https://www.facebook.com/194980636318/p ... =3&theater
Aral says......Photoshopping larger tyres onto a 2015 car is irrelevant to the SF16-H